Connect to Neowin IRC

As some of you may know one of the services Neowin offers is an IRC server. The back room of Neowin, where you can experience Neowinians how they really are - for better or for worse. The rules on Neowin IRC are less strict than on the forum; some may consider this a positive, others might find the tone of conversation problematic. But I digress - this topic is not about what is going on there, but rather how to connect to the IRC server.

My Windows IRC client of choice is HexChat, hence why the screenshots below are taken from it. The configuration steps are similar for other IRC clients.

Step 1: Choose your IRC nickname.

Click on the 'More' tab on the top of the forum, then select 'Chat' from the list. Or click this link: https://www.neowin.net/irc/ . There you'll find some basic information about how Neowin IRC is set up, and a form to choose your IRC nick name. 

Step 2: Open HexChat.

The server list will appear:

post-1302-0-64824000-1382828114.png

Step 3: Add Neowin to the server list

Click on the 'Add' button. Name the new network (whether it's 'Neowin' or 'Neobond's dark room' is fully up to you).

post-1302-0-80439300-1382828115.png

Step 4: Edit the details

Select the newly created network from the list, then click on 'Edit'. The following window will appear:

post-1302-0-19370900-1382828117.png

Fill in your details - server address, nickname, login method, encoding. The result is this:

post-1302-0-13406400-1382828118.png

Step 5: Connect

Close the window above, select Neowin IRC in the server list and click connect. You will be automatically connected to the channels you have access to.

post-1302-0-85937200-1382828119.png

That's all there is to it. Happy IRC-ing!

Thanks for posting, Mephi. I remember fiddling around with it when I first started chatting (as it is different than most other channels), but didn't think to document the process. Good write-up!

Come join us, folks, if you dare >=)

i have been using the same client and it works out well for me. It would be nice if some point neowin hosted a java client or something on the website that you just sign into and it will work for you :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Gosh, it's been a few years since I've last used IRC. Might have to consider this at some point. :p

Same here.. I used once or twice back in early 2000's.  I have not used since then.

Same here.. I used once or twice back in early 2000's.  I have not used since then.

irc was huge in the 90s 

since then i only used it when a website asked me to go there for support. and once the my issue was fixed, i never spend time there anymore.

it is an outdated way to communicate to me, just like ICQ messenger is.

now that there are a ton of chat apps, and skype and million others, i don't want to be in a IRC anymore...  it seems overly complicated, and unnecessary. i forgot all the commands, and i don't want to bother learning them again.

irc was huge in the 90s 

since then i only used it when a website asked me to go there for support. and once the my issue was fixed, i never spend time there anymore.

now that there are a ton of chat apps, and skype and million others, i don't want to be in a IRC anymore...  it seems overly complicated, and unnecessary. i forgot all the commands, and i don't want to bother learning them again.

/slaps ejm around with a large trout.

• Like 1

/slaps ejm around with a large trout.

I would have preferred, if you used a replacement.

How about a reasonably-sized, left-aligned trout to replace a large trout?

Remember, I am a victim of previous trout slapping incidents...

irc was huge in the 90s 

Yes I know it was popular during those days...

During AOL days, AOL was popular because of punting, scrolling, etc.   Good old days!

It was hilarious to see people who got kicked offline...   They were mad as hell..    They came online and posted what they said like "goddammit, I get kicked offline, What the hell?"

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried connecting to the IRC network from a couple different clients now but I keep getting authentication failed...

I've set my username at neowin.net/irc and am connect with /server irc.neowin.net 6667 <password>

I've tried using irssi and CIRC (chromeOS client). Have also tried adding the network to an irc bouncer but that can't connect either

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

same problem

22* 22Recherche de irc.neowin.net
22* 22Connexion à irc.neowin.net (208.43.57.26) port 6667...
22* 22Connecté. Identification en cours...
22* *** Looking up your hostname...
22* *** Checking your username and password...
22* *** Invalid username and/or password...
22* 
22* IMPORTANT!!!
22* You must login using your IRC Nickname as your nickname, and your Neowin site password as the server password.
22* In most clients, you can connect by typing the following command:
22* 
22*           /server irc.neowin.net 6667 <password>
22* 
22* NOTE: If you have not set your IRC Nickname, you must visit https://www.neowin.net/irc and set it there.
22* If you need more detailed information on connecting, please visit https://www.neowin.net/irc
22* 
22* Closing link (user46565@0::ffff:*************) [Authentication failed.]
22* Déconnecté (L'hôte distant a fermé la socket).

PS: i've tried to connect +-75 times. it's possible to fix the server ? thanks you