[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Windows Technical Preview Discussion Thread

With September 30th coming up, Windows 9 (or just "Windows"), codenamed Threshold, has leaked. I think its time to start a thread specifically for the Technical Preview and leaks.

windows9_story.jpg

screen_shot_2014-09-11_at_8.09.20_am.jpg

Can somebody post either a guide or link on how to install this new Windows version in a VM please?

I have a Haswell Core i3 processor and 8GB of RAM, that should do the trick right?

Can somebody post either a guide or link on how to install this new Windows version in a VM please?

I have a Haswell Core i3 processor and 8GB of RAM, that should do the trick right?

Windows 9 will launch September 30, probably as an ISO download.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/21/6052807/windows-9-preview-press-event-september

Windows 9 will launch September 30, probably as an ISO download.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/21/6052807/windows-9-preview-press-event-September

I understand that it is not out yet :)

I was just hoping that somebody could point me, and maybe others, in the right direction of installing this in a VM

On my pc I have installed the Professional version of Windows 8.1 Update, I know you can install VM's, just never done it and thought this might be useful to know before this new windows is released 

I understand that it is not out yet :)

I was just hoping that somebody could point me, and maybe others, in the right direction of installing this in a VM

On my pc I have installed the Professional version of Windows 8.1 Update, I know you can install VM's, just never done it and thought this might be useful to know before this new windows is released 

Using Virtualbox, or VMWare - you simply tell the software where to look for the OS, or ISO of the install disc, then when the VM turns on, it will be just like you put the install disc in an optical drive.

Or were you referring to something else ?

Using Virtualbox, or VMWare - you simply tell the software where to look for the OS, or ISO of the install disc, then when the VM turns on, it will be just like you put the install disc in an optical drive.

That's pretty much it, but I thought you could use Win 8.1 to do this without extra software, or am I missing something?

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction :)

From what little I've seen of it, it seems fine. Similar to Vista -> 7, I'd imagine it's going to fix many of the annoyances of Win8 without drastically changing anything else. Which is exactly what I want.

i heard that the vista aero interface was designed by a (former?) kde developer.

now i see the notification center and the multi desktop feature and think again: could it be that microsoft again was shopping in kdes area to improve their own os?

no bashing, no critics, just asking and wondering...

Or they're just using the same format tray motivations an option popup in windows has been since windows 95.... just with added options of a list view of clearable messages...

Honestly, I don't think judging it over screenshots seems right since it is at its early stages and could possibly be completely different by the time it reaches RTM.

The UI design isn't finished, but you can tell where Windows is headed in terms of functionality.

Honestly, I don't think judging it over screenshots seems right since it is at its early stages and could possibly be completely different by the time it reaches RTM.

Agreed, I want it running on MY machine before I make any "like" or "dislike" comments.

The UI design isn't finished, but you can tell where Windows is headed in terms of functionality.

We don't know that entirely yet. Remember they have still to add more features, which we may be completely unaware of.  Plus, if Microsoft is focusing on feedback that means they will have to change how certain features function based on the feedback they receive from the Tech Preview.

Agreed, I want it running on MY machine before I make any "like" or "dislike" comments.

Yup. :)

From the information given so far my impression is that nothing important has actually changed.  I'm excited about it because I know it'll be better, but not for any specific reason yet.

Now mind you I'm sure this isn't true...just haven't seen any interesting info about the under the hood stuff except DX12 and possibly WinRT apps running in a window.

The notification center is like a v0.1 product at this point, that's going to change for sure as time goes on.   The only question after this hits is when the next preview will come out?  We looking at quick updated builds being pushed to those who have the preview or do we have to wait for a "public preview/consumer preview" in early 2015?     Personally I hope that once you get this first build installed that MS starts pushing out updated versions every month or bi-monthly to people.

That's pretty much it, but I thought you could use Win 8.1 to do this without extra software, or am I missing something?

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction :)

Enable HyperV in "Turn Windows features on or off" > reboot > look for HyperV Manager

What the heck is this first question: "On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being worst, 10 being best", and the we get options 5, 4, 3, 4, 5?

Fixed, I wrote this after a long day, last night.

The UI has a long way to go from being perfect, but the new icons (like my profile pick) is promising. Also File Explorer should be renamed Files and the OneDrive app should only point to OneDrive not This PC as the Files app should do that (like on WP)

The UI has a long way to go from being perfect, but the new icons (like my profile pick) is promising. Also File Explorer should be renamed Files and the OneDrive app should only point to OneDrive not This PC as the Files app should do that (like on WP)

Wouldn't it be better to just have one app that does all that?

Why not get rid of the Files app and all that functionality to the OneDrive app?

The Poll is not completely fixed.

Q1 still has 5 4 3 4 1

And the question still mentions 10 in stead of 5

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825691.aspx

Simples

be careful if you have an Nvidia card and multi monitor. unless Nvidia has fixed it, having Hyper-V installed will make your extra monitor black.

what? i do have a laptop with Hyper-V enabled, multimonitors and a nvidia card and i don't have that issue at all...

You've got some work still, it now says 5, 4, 3, 4, 1. And your 5 to 1 scale is still explained as "10 being the highest".