Help getting my real name off a website

So the hut group, in the UK who own a number of websites, changed their terms and conditions some time again. This resulted in my real name appearing on google searches. This isn't something I wanted, so I contacted them, they said they would remove it, but didn't. After several months of back and forth I said I'll, seek legal action, and received an email saying " we own the reviews so ah ha!" .

Is there anyway still to get control of my name? Was thinking of applying for a copy right to my name, and then seeing if that would solve it.

Any suggestions?

Are the reviews based on an account? Could you log in and change your name or remove the account? (You've probably already tried if so, but just thought I'd mention just incase)

• Like 1

So the hut group, in the UK who own a number of websites, changed their terms and conditions some time again. This resulted in my real name appearing on google searches. This isn't something I wanted, so I contacted them, they said they would remove it, but didn't. After several months of back and forth I said I'll, seek legal action, and received an email saying " we own the reviews so ah ha!" .

Is there anyway still to get control of my name? Was thinking of applying for a copy right to my name, and then seeing if that would solve it.

Any suggestions?

Since you're in the UK, submit a "Right to be forgotten" request to google: https://support.google.com/legal/contact/lr_eudpa?product=websearch

Any suggestions?

If you didn't agree to the new terms and conditions, they have no feed to stand on if you seek legal action. You have an agreement with them that your real name wouldn't be shown and they can't change that agreement without permission from both sides. A copyright on your name isn't going to help, if you do want that, you should make it a registered trademark, but then again, there is a big chance that there is someone else with the same name as you somewhere on this planet (I mean, you can't use it against these people that would be plain unfair). However, just sue them if they don't do anything about your complaints.
  • Like 1

Any suggestions?

Hi,

1st of all sorry to hear that the website owner is being a total tool with this issue, but here is some good advice.

You will need to submit a request to google and have them remove all the links that your name appears on when searched via google which relate to this request.

be aware that this will need to be a search on your name only and not some thing like "sam jones TV review" .

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals?pli=1

Google will mostlikely respond to you saying that they feel the links are relevent and suggest that you contact the site owners and have them remove your name from the reviews, Now for the not so good bit, Google are sneeky so make sure you find all the links you can as once a google removal request has been actioned they will bring to top any others that you did not find.

I have experience of this relateing to my self where I was aware of 3 sites which were related to me and once they removed those links I found  2 more sites that I had never seen before indexed to the top of google searches when searching on my name only.

Should they refuse to comply with your removal request Then you will need to contact the ICO https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/ about this matter as you are in the UK and inform them about what has happened.  The ICO are unable to take action if google refuse to remove you, google removal requests can take up to 4 weeks for them to just respond with an email saying they have recived your request.

The ICO are good at getting google to comply, its just a shame that you will need to jump through hoops like a trained seal inorder to get them taken down.

and then you will need to battle with all of the other search engines which will have these links that are related to your self.

I hope you are able to get those links removed, Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Hi, and thanks for all. The replies. Tried changing my name to Jeremy clarkson but it didn't do anything to the reviews/my name appearing up on the site. Initially spoke to general customer relations people, but also to somebody in a manager position. Tried emailing the CEO of the hut group, his email doesn't work lol.

I'll try out some of the suggestions and let you know what happens.

we'll see what google says, I've filled in the paperwork.

if i copyright my name surely that would be a way to get the review down right?

for interest this is the response i got from customer service;

Thank you for your reply. 

Regardless of when you agreed to them, you have read and agreed to them formally when you create your account. 

Should you not have wished for your review to be published, you should not have agreed to these terms. 

The review will remain, if you wish to discuss this further then feel free to provide me with a telephone number and I will give you a call. 

Your complaint will also be closed again as there is no resolution to be provided. 

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Customer Relations Executive

Regardless of when you agreed to them, you have read and agreed to them formally when you create your account.

Well I should go ahead and create a website for something, then use that information and change the T&C to my benefit. Isn't law fun? :blink:

I think they're wrong, and I'm pretty sure any person of legal standing would be able to argue the same.

However, always work with the idea that if you're doing something online, that information that you submit is no longer yours. We were naive to think that such a thing wouldn't happen in the past, and now those that didn't think about it before are playing catch-up trying to clean ourselves from the web.

This is exactly why I'm careful when I post things online. I feel they're wrong in their T&C's as even if they update them, they should do what Apple and Microsoft do and get you to re-accept them, that way there's no way they can say you already accepted them, as that was the OLD terms, but they will try and get away with it. I'm sure the way Apple and MS do it is the correct legal way. If the terms change dramatically they have to let you decide whether or not to accept them.

See if you can find a solicitor, see what they say, and make sure it is one that won't charge for advice :)

Another thing. Your work is YOURS, it doesn't matter where its posted, you created it. The whole reason copyright law exists. I remember that big fiasco with a certain social media site turning round saying your pictures were theirs, if I remember correctly there was a big backlash, several boycotts, and then an arse over face reversal.

thats life i guess.

The review itself isn't anything bad. its the fact that somebody can use my name as they please.

morally, I'm sure everybody would agree that if you don't like how they use your details, you should be able to op-out/have it removed.

legally, the law isn't really there........

Well I should go ahead and create a website for something, then use that information and change the T&C to my benefit. Isn't law fun? :blink:

I think they're wrong, and I'm pretty sure any person of legal standing would be able to argue the same.

However, always work with the idea that if you're doing something online, that information that you submit is no longer yours. We were naive to think that such a thing wouldn't happen in the past, and now those that didn't think about it before are playing catch-up trying to clean ourselves from the web.

is the data protection act of no use to you?

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/the-data-protection-act

1. The Data Protection Act

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/the-data-protection-act

The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.

Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called

• 4 months later...

forgot to reply/update this.

so tried various MP/policitans - got some letters printed on some expensive paper but thats about it really.

then again recently started sending out emails. this time the london assembly and an MP got in touch and wrote to the ICO and the CEO of the company. now just awaiting replies. the ICO said they will investigate and get back to me...

So we'll see...

• 2 weeks later...