Data recovery?

Question

Hi just a quick question...

My cousin restored her windows 8.1 computer by mistake and she was asking if there is anyway to get her data back...

Is there any free software that might be able to do that??

Thank you!

Yes I know how can she mistake in resetting her windows.... Lol

4 answers to this question

I have found that the free software doesn't go deep enough, but you can try recuva (www.recuva.com).  Generally if they have just been deleted this program works pretty good.  But a wipe, you may need better tools.  Check getdataback and recovermyfiles.  Recovermyfiles does offer a a trial where you can see the data prior to purchasing.  I would remove the disk, if it is an option, and slave it into another computer to limit further data loss.  Also do no restore back onto the same drive, restore to a different drive and once the full restore is complete of all of the files then copy it back on. 

There is a chance you won't get the files back, as windows will overwrite the block that has been marked for deletion...if that is the case it is lost forever...but try other recovery tools to see if they will work.  You may be surprised with the outcome of different software's.

Depending on which options were chosen for the restore, it's possible the data was never deleted in the first place. The default option is usually the safer one that leaves your data intact. Check to see if there is a "Windows.old" folder on the hard drive. If it exists, that folder will contain the old users folders with the data still inside.

If that folder does not exist, then it will be difficult to recover any data. Data recovery software, such as GetDataBack, may recover some things. It's free to try out a scan, so it can't hurt. For recovering certain specific types of files (including pictures and MS Office files), you can also try PhotoRec.Whichever route you go, it's unlikely that all the files will be found, and some of those that are may be corrupt.

there will be a lot of files still there in the free space, if they are recoverable is anyones guess, becuase once they get written over or paritally written over, they can't be recovered. 

Recuva

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

you'll also need another drive to save to. when you run it the first time, go through all the way to the scanning for recoverable files part and then cancel it. open the options/settings and enable (i forget where it is, it should be called something along these lines) the option for file path recovery. then close the program and start it again, it should then recover the original folders/file paths of the files that are recoverable.