Can I use this TV as a monitor

Why not?  it's your decision..  TV can be used as monitor if you want to... as long as you have either HDMI or VGA whatever your PC is using with.

It's a 40 inch screen with 2 HDMI inputs. I would.

The question is, why do you think it would be an issue?

Some guy at Best Buy told me there was going to be a lag if I used my computer with a TV so he redirected me to this really expensive monitor. I don't know if he is really telling the truth or not.

Here are my computer specs: 58f40a7ca5f6a7088e97951cafc3e493.png

Check the description. 8ms lag is what it's advertising. I can't comment myself as I don't own one, but I've plugged my laptop in to many a TV and it's the network latency that stalls things I do, not the transition of the picture from the laptop to the screen.

Sorry about the stupid question but what is that kind of lag? Thanks,

BB staff do not know crap...     If I were you, get the TV then take it home to test... if all go smooth, then keep it, otherwise take it back for exchange or refund.

Great advice. Thanks! :)

Not any more than using an xbox with a TV.

Yes there might be more ghosting using this than a fast tn monitor. But the image quality will likely be better (maybe not i don't know insignia to be honest). Most cheap tn monitors have awful image quality.

My new monitor ain't bad (lg ips panel) but my old Samsung t220 tn panel had a far inferior image quality than my Sharp Aquos.

I play PC games on my sharp aquos using an xbox controller (cause it's actually my TV and the computer is in another room) and it's perfectly fine for anything that is not competitive multiplayer.

Awesome. Thanks for that!

Also, does anyone know if my computer will be able to handle that or if I will need something else? Also, will I be able to make everyone somewhat smaller so it actually does look like there is more room to do stuff? Thanks,

He was probably refering to some of the post processing that certain TVs do, although most should have the ability to turn that stuff off.

Not stupid at all, but please tell me if I'm talking down to you. ;)

8ms = 8 milliseconds. I don't know about you, but I deal with a lag around 20/30 ms in my network and that still gives me near-perfect play. Actually, I upgraded my network recently, I need to check if that still holds true...two minutes. (Y)

EDIT: Quick check on speed test gave me 20ms ping.

You'll have more ghosting though i think.

This said 8ms is okay (that's what my Aquos is i think). Last time i checked most tn panel were 5 ms. The advertised 1ms/2ms is gray to gray (and can be disabled in the settings of most of those panel) and is not the real response time of the panel (hardware).

He was probably refering to some of the post processing that certain TVs do, although most should have the ability to turn that stuff off.

Yeah would be a good idea to check in a store if you can turn those off. I can turn everything off with my Aquos (the TV keep the settings for each input) but dunno about Insignia.

Ahh, now I see! Thanks guys!

Now I'm wondering... do you think my laptop can handle that kind of TV without any problems? Specs are listed at the top! :rolleyes:

Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080

Just be aware that this is pretty low res if you were thinking of using it as an actual monitor not just for movies

yeah as Nick H has said, if you have HDMI ports, you're golden. I use my TV once in awhile for streaming movies from my amazon account. kinda fun tinkering with windows on my flatscreen through HDMI.

Cons:
Don't bother using it for desktop use, if you plan on being sat right in front of it at a desk. You'll see the pixels.

Pros
Should look decent enough for games and movies from a few feet away.

Just be aware that this is pretty low res if you were thinking of using it as an actual monitor not just for movies

It's a dv7 notebook. It can't do better than 1080 anyway. Even at 1080 it's borderline from the 2-3 reviews i just checked. If i am to believe cnet it comes with an HD 6570M.

• Like 1

It's a dv7 notebook. It can't do better than 1080 anyway. Even at 1080 it's borderline from the 2-3 reviews i just checked. If i am to believe cnet it comes with an HD 6570M.

So... it can't or it can and it will be very blurry?

Well i dunno to be honest. Don't know the mobile gpu enough. The best would be to try it before with a 1080p monitor. You could try at job at diner if you have access to a 1080p monitor or at a friend's house to see how the games you want to play perform at 1080p. If you consider it playable. if you need to play at a sub 1080p resolution then it's gonna be blurry.

Haha, I don't play games. I only do programming on it. :)