Windows 10 is free but what's the catch?

Windows 10 being free is good and all, but I can't help but feel like there's a catch somewhere.  Maybe MS will do something a few years down the line, for example:  "Opps you can't get this app because you didn't pay for Windows 10" or something like that.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Windows 10 being free is good and all, but I can't help but feel like there's a catch somewhere.  Maybe MS will do something a few years down the line, for example:  "Opps you can't get this app because you didn't pay for Windows 10" or something like that.

Does anyone else feel this way?

The catch is.. It'll make MS's life SO much easier to have almost everyone running one OS version. Apple figured this out long ago, making their upgrades dirt cheap and now free. Fragmentation of the market only hurts it.

Long run this benefits MS more than the $$$ would.

The catch is.. It'll make MS's life SO much easier to have almost everyone running one OS version. Apple figured this out long ago, making their upgrades dirt cheap and now free. Fragmentation of the market only hurts it.

Long run this benefits MS more than the $$$ would.

Fragmentation is a false construct in most senses, especially with Windows.

Not if you upgraded from a retail version.

Um, yes it is.

The free copy is for one computer, and one computer alone.  The license is not transferrable to another machine.

Um, yes it is.

The free copy is for one computer, and one computer alone.  The license is not transferrable to another machine.

Yes it is.

It retains the same license as the original version you upgraded from. If it's OEM then no, you can't transfer it to another computer, just like with all other OEM versions of Windows. But if you upgraded a Retail license, or any other non-OEM then you can transfer it by unregistering the computer it was on, then using the key on the new computer.

*Note: Enterprise is a different beast

Um, yes it is.

The free copy is for one computer, and one computer alone. The license is not transferrable to another machine.

No the license that you get is the same as the one that you upgraded from. So if you own retail license of 7, you get retail version of 10. If it OEM of 8 then you get OEM of 10.

No the license that you get is the same as the one that you upgraded from. So if you own retail license of 7, you get retail version of 10. If it OEM of 8 then you get OEM of 10.

OEM and Retail upgrades are one and the same.

They only are free for one machine. You can find the truth via Google, MS has said it.

Retail licenses can be moved to different machines.  Free licenses cannot.

OEM and Retail upgrades are one and the same.

They only are free for one machine. You can find the truth via Google, MS has said it.

Retail licenses can be moved to different machines. Free licenses cannot.

Link to source?

Link to source?

Its pretty easy to find, but here you go, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth:

https://twitter.com/gabeaul/status/605899873360019457

Note the words, same machine.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-windows-10-will-handle-clean-installs

If something major happens to the device that requires something as monumental such as a motherboard change (basically turning it into a new computer), Windows 10 will require re-activation

Its pretty easy to find, but here you go, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth:

Have you read the comment by WaltC? That guy is saying that you can move your retail license plus there another topic on that site that states that you can move your license if you upgraded from retail.

Have you read the comment by WaltC? That guy is saying that you can move your retail license plus there another topic on that site that states that you can move your license if you upgraded from retail.

Nope.  Who is WaltC?  Gabe Aul works for MS.

Are you sure they weren't talking about purchased Windows 10 licenses?

I was referring to whe winsupersite link, WaltC in the comment area. And on that same site, there was a Q&A with a bunch of yes and no answers. I would post the link if I wasn't on my phone right now.

I was referring to whe winsupersite link, WaltC in the comment area. And on that same site, there was a Q&A with a bunch of yes and no answers. I would post the link if I wasn't on my phone right now.

I wouldn't trust a commenter.  Terry Myerson also said that the free license was for the life of the device.

Ya neither of those actually says what you think it does.

The Same Machine comment means if you upgrade to 10 from say, 7.. Nuke it, and reinstall 10 on that machine, it's automatically activated, because it's it's profile has been saved. If you want to install on another computer, you need to uninstall the key, thus severing the profile, so you can do so. For example, I just nuked my laptops 10 install, and cleaned fresh.. Skipped the key each time it asked, and it activated, because the profile is saved.

MS has already confirmed that it will retain the ORIGINAL License after the upgrade. OEM remains OEM, Retail remains Retail. With all the rights there in.

Ya neither of those actually says what you think it does.

The Same Machine comment means if you upgrade to 10 from say, 7.. Nuke it, and reinstall 10 on that machine, it's automatically activated, because it's it's profile has been saved. If you want to install on another computer, you need to uninstall the key, thus severing the profile, so you can do so. For example, I just nuked my laptops 10 install, and cleaned fresh.. Skipped the key each time it asked, and it activated, because the profile is saved.

MS has already confirmed that it will retain the ORIGINAL License after the upgrade. OEM remains OEM, Retail remains Retail. With all the rights there in.

The license is not transferrable.  You guys are really trying to hang onto this.

The ORIGINAL license is for the previous OS, not Windows 10.

The license is not transferrable.  You guys are really trying to hang onto this.

The ORIGINAL license is for the previous OS, not Windows 10.

And upgrade copies inherit it, it's nothing new.

If you buy a upgrade copy of 8 for a OEM copy of 7, you can't install your 8 copy on a new machine because it depends on the 7 license which sticks with the old system. If you had a retail 7 copy you could move it to the new machine and install 8 on it.

Edit: What they've been clear about, is if you upgrade 7 to 10, you cant then use your 7 license on a separate system so you have both 7 and 10 at the same time. It's treated as a single license, following the base copies rules.

Gabe's tweet is ambiguous, it confirms nothing on this issue thus I'd say we don't have an official answer yet.

Over on the Microsoft forums, it says the original licence conditions are carried over, but like that winsupersite link it's not a Microsoft spokesperson so we don't really know.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/using-windows-8-pro-retail-licence-key-to-change/99a7e026-c460-4209-9e1f-7e37c5bca6f0

The jury is still out I'm afraid.

The catch is don't expect an upgrade like Win 3.1 to 95/XP to 7 was. Expect something more around 98 to ME (as you'd already know). Regardless, Microsoft would really like you to use it.

The catch is don't expect an upgrade like Win 3.1 to 95/XP to 7 was. Expect something more around 98 to ME (as you'd already know). Regardless, Microsoft would really like you to use it.

I am loving my windows 10.

As far as licensing is concerned. Nothing's changed. My Office PC runs 8.1 and originally was an XP licence. Nothing in that machine, hardware wise, is the same as it was in 2001.

As for what's the catch, MS want to get everyone to 10 to bring them in to the new Eco-system, cut down on fragmentation and save on older system support.