Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - Using Win 8.1 key

Hi,

2 years back, I have purchased Windows 8.1 key and now wants to install fresh copy of Windows 10.

However, I am no longer using Windows PC as I moved to MBP. So how do I use that key/purchase to get Windows 10 copy for free.

I am not looking to install Windows 8.1 in MBP.

The Windows 10 upgrade is on a per device basis.  So the only way to actually get Windows 10 on your MBP is to install Windows 8.1, update it and then reserve the upgrade. You should get it for free if you upgrade before July 29th 2016.

The Windows 10 upgrade is on a per device basis.  So the only way to actually get Windows 10 on your MBP is to install Windows 8.1, update it and then reserve the upgrade. You should get it for free if you upgrade before July 29th 2016.

He should be able to get for a year. After july 29th 2016 he will have to pay for it. 

He should be able to get for a year. After july 29th 2016 he will have to pay for it. 

Come on man. NO, WRONG, INCORRECT, BZZZT, take your pick.

Jeezus, Microsoft madde this explicitly clear hours after the announcement. It is a one year window from 7/29/15 to 7/28/16 to take the upgrade for free. Once you take it, you have it for that device until MS stops supporting Windows.

OP, you must install 8.1, then upgrade to 10. The upgrade will convert the key to one suitable for activating 10. You can then clear any remnants of 8.1 from your system, even do a full reinstall of 10 if you so desire.

Can anyone give me official links for downloading Windows 8.1 Pro. As I said, I am in MBP, directly wants to download ISO to dump into USB

Microsoft site is so crappy, any download it's forwarding me to Upgrade to Windows 10.

How do someone upgrade if I can't download? Seriously, they need to fire someone.

Jeezus, Microsoft madde this explicitly clear hours after the announcement. It is a one year window from 7/29/15 to 7/28/16 to take the upgrade for free. Once you take it, you have it for that device until MS stops supporting Windows.

OP, you must install 8.1, then upgrade to 10. The upgrade will convert the key to one suitable for activating 10. You can then clear any remnants of 8.1 from your system, even do a full reinstall of 10 if you so desire.

Or in short: he can get it for a year, after that, he'll have to pay for it. This is exactly what he said.

Can anyone give me official links for downloading Windows 8.1 Pro. As I said, I am in MBP, directly wants to download ISO to dump into USB

Microsoft site is so crappy, any download it's forwarding me to Upgrade to Windows 10.

How do someone upgrade if I can't download? Seriously, they need to fire someone.

They need to fire someone because you decided not to keep install media for Windows 8.1??

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Here you go. Once you enter your Pro key it will create that version, but you'll have to figure out a way to run the exe file on your mac / use another PC.

1. Open Google Chrome.
  2. Open this webpage https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
  3. Right click anywhere on the page and select "inspect element".
  4. Select "Mobile" as shown in the screen shot.
  5. Continue to download ISO after selecting the version you need. If you are in India select "Windows 10 single language" and then "English International"

Capture.JPG

So even if I have a retail key I will be stuck with my free upgrade on one device?

This is the question I have. I bought (and activated) a RETAIL copy of 8.1 Pro a couple of months ago on an old laptop. It's basically dead now so I'm going to be purchasing a new PC this September. I don't really want to activate my Win 10 upgrade on my old laptop; rather, I'd like to simply reinstall 8.1 on my new PC and then upgrade to 10 on that. Bear in mind this is a RETAIL key, so having Win 10 locked to my new PC doesn't make sense to me... Is this really the case? Am I even able to reinstall my existing copy of 8.1 on a new machine and still upgrade to 10? 

If I can't transfer Win 10 off my new PC, it's not the end of the world. My main concern came from the whole reservation process and I didn't want to miss out by buying a new PC a month down the line after release as I had it in my head that while you can upgrade within the first year for free, it needs to be off an existing activated Win 7/8/8.1 key before Win 10's release. Now I've said that, it just makes me think I'm being overly paranoid and overcomplicating the issue...

Edited by JAGFin1

That's what I said, can you not read english?

Chill mate, it's already been sorted

Hi,

2 years back, I have purchased Windows 8.1 key and now wants to install fresh copy of Windows 10.

However, I am no longer using Windows PC as I moved to MBP. So how do I use that key/purchase to get Windows 10 copy for free.

I am not looking to install Windows 8.1 in MBP.

You can always dual boot Windows with Mac ... if you want.. 

Or  you can use this instead.

Either way is up to you.

1. Open Google Chrome.
  2. Open this webpage https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
  5. Continue to download ISO after selecting the version you need. If you are in India select "Windows 10 single language" and then "English International"

Capture.JPG

What is the difference between Windows 10 and Windows 10 Single Language? Both options make you select a language... ? confusing.

1. Open Google Chrome.

Capture.JPG

I am looking for Windows 8.1 ISO. Seems like I can't upgrade unless I install windows 8.1 :-/

What is the difference between Windows 10 and Windows 10 Single Language? Both options make you select a language... ? confusing.

Single language has no ability to switch languages without downloading language packs (Im not even sure if you can.  I assume so).