Wireless Chipset Poll 2015-2016

What wireless chipset is the best/your fav?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Router chipsets

• Broadcom
    • Qualcomm/Atheros
    • Ra-Link
    • RealTek
    • Marvell
    • Other (Please specify)
  2. 2. Adapters

• Broadcom
    • Qualcomm/Atheros
    • Realtek
    • Ra-Link
    • Marvell
    • Intel
    • Other (Please specify)

What wifi chipset do you prefer? I have been asked by a hardware company to issue this so I hope to get as many people to participate as much as possible.

Please note: consult wikidevi if you are unsure of the chipset your router uses. Please also specfiy the router you use.

You get one choice for one question and one choice for the other.

I will be leaving a null vote and will not indicate my choice on thier request, however Please be as honest and straightforward as possible and don't hold ANYTHING back on your responses! Please post detail experience as well!!! The more the better! If another company pressures you in ANY way shape or form please let me know so I can forward to the hardware company. Note: I will not disclose the company, as I am under strict NDA.

This will have two sections:

adapters
and
routers

Please also indicate how good the OS or alternate firmware support is and be as honest as you can and only post firsthand experience and no 3rd party or "that's what she said" responses.

Thank you :)

Not allowed to discuss any aspects, sorry. Just choose something! ha ha

Did Broadcom/Intel.

So far all has been and love 3rd party support for Broadcom. Atheros is pretty much TOP when it comes to wireless chipsets however but support is usually more limited.

You really think that 95% of users have a clue to who makes the chips inside their router?? Or their computer?  You be lucky if they could tell you what brand it is, model - good luck ;)  As to computers your lucky if they can tell you Apple or not Apple..

Good luck with your poll - there is no possible way the info here would be of any use to anyone that is for sure.

I provided a wikidevi link for users to look up the info.. not THAT hard :)

They have to know what router they have to look it up ;)  that is the hard part..

Why not just ask what router is their fav, or brand of wifi card if they buy usb dongles, etc..  To be honest I find it highly unlikely for any user other than ones that build their own to even have a clue to what wifi card is in it.  And to be honest - desktops normally don't even need wifi.. Desktops should be WIRED plain and simple -- not like you move them around ;)  You think users are picking their laptop based upon the chip maker of the wifi in it?  ###### - they would be lucky to know if supports 5ghz or AC..  Ask them how many streams their wifi card can do ROFL ;)

If a user has to look up in your wiki link what chip is in their router - then they clearly did not base their purchase upon the hardware inside the black box they bought.  They bought it on what brand they perceive to be better, or what was on sale or the idiot at the computer store told they needed, etc. etc.. 

So asking what chip maker is their fav or best is completely pointless..  Other than the brand intel I would be surprised if any real portion of users even know those brands.  Unless they had problems with one and somebody told them it was crap ;)

Atheros/Broadcom.

Bought the router as it was cheap, didn't have a clue it had an atheros chip in it. Still doesn't really matter to me. Router runs DDWRT quite happily and no issues. I've got a new AC router sat waiting for when I move in a month or so - again bought purely on the fact it was a good deal!

Until I get the new house hardwired (promise it's coming @Budman !) iMac is on wifi. Again, no choice in what it comes with - it's Broadcom or nothing.

Atheros/Broadcom.

Bought the router as it was cheap, didn't have a clue it had an atheros chip in it.

My point exactly!!!

I can't comment too much on the chipset vendors, however most people should be more aware of this kinda thing.

This was also targeted at more technically skilled people as well.

I've upgraded 3x wireless cards this year to:

• Broadcom BCM4352HMB 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter

Which works OOTB on both Windows & Ubuntu based distributions, no power management / saving issues at a hardware level and Bluetooth works consistently.

My replacement motherboard (ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac) even shipped with one (OEM/unbranded) which was a very welcome bonus.

I've replaced:  Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230,  Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

Unfortunately my older HP laptop is firmware locked to the accursed Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG, so there is not a lot I can do about that.