Is it possible to upgrade Windows without booting the OS?

Yo!!!! As the question implies, is it possible to upgrade Windows without booting the OS? See, my uncle is experiencing a dreadful problem: His USB Keyboard and mouse does not work (hasn't PS ports either). I don't know what happened, but long story short it does not work when Windows is logged in. It does work everywhere else: booting from recovery, BIOS, USB Media. System Restore is not working (tried 3 different settings). And left it running a full chkdsk /r /x + sfc.

So I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade Windows from the installation media, without having to boot the OS (due to the keyboard and mouse problems)?

Thanks a lot!

I'd check the BIOS settings and make sure all the USB options are correct.  Another trick I've learned when this happens is to unplug the KB and mouse at the Windows login screen, wait a few seconds, then plug them back in.  Sometimes this fixes it and it usually never happens again.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Have you tried plugging in the mouse and keyboard into different USB slots? Can you connect to it via RDP?

Yo!!!! As the question implies, is it possible to upgrade Windows without booting the OS? See, my uncle is experiencing a dreadful problem: His USB Keyboard and mouse does not work (hasn't PS ports either). I don't know what happened, but long story short it does not work when Windows is logged in. It does work everywhere else: booting from recovery, BIOS, USB Media. System Restore is not working (tried 3 different settings). And left it running a full chkdsk /r /x + sfc.

So I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade Windows from the installation media, without having to boot the OS (due to the keyboard and mouse problems)?

Thanks a lot!

PS/2 ports are great, when ever USB gets screwed PS/2 will always save you.

Is it one of the new SOC PCs? Baytrail, braswell, something like that? Problem with those system is that they don't have USB2.0 controller, all usb ports run of USB3.0 if USB3.0 driver gets screwed up all USB ports will stop to function.

Remote desktop if enabled can help, you should be able to reinstall USB drivers from there.

PS/2 ports are great, when ever USB gets screwed PS/2 will always save you.

Is it one of the new SOC PCs? Baytrail, braswell, something like that? Problem with those system is that they don't have USB2.0 controller, all usb ports run of USB3.0 if USB3.0 driver gets screwed up all USB ports will stop to function.

Remote desktop if enabled can help, you should be able to reinstall USB drivers from there.

Nope. Is a Dell Inspiron with 4th gen Intel Core i3. My aunt was using it and she told me she plugged in a USB stick that she got from a program she was studying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0HMRH2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd check the BIOS settings and make sure all the USB options are correct.  Another trick I've learned when this happens is to unplug the KB and mouse at the Windows login screen, wait a few seconds, then plug them back in.  Sometimes this fixes it and it usually never happens again.  Hope this helps.

I did. Even reset the settings to default. I read your trick and tried doing it to no avail. I even read about fully disconnecting the PC for a few seconds and plug it back again. 

Ah no unless it's a mind reader. It cant boot by itself, and doesnt know you want it to boot

Buy another KB and mouse

No KB and Mosue problems. Tried with separate ones and they work perfectly on other PCs, in BIOS and Recovery media.

Have you tried plugging in the mouse and keyboard into different USB slots? Can you connect to it via RDP?

Yup. Regarding RDP I don't know if it's enabled or not :/ :/. Is it enabled by default? 

Well... Just received a message from my aunt. I left it overnight doing a full chkdsk to see if there were some problems, and nada. 

I still do not know what to do. I even copied the .sys files from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ directory 

Deleted some mysterious key from the registry, and still nothing... 

Create a win 10 usb or dvd with the media creation tool and you can use that to boot from and upgrade from, you can choose to upgrade without keeping any data if you want which is the same as a clean install.

Create a win 10 usb or dvd with the media creation tool and you can use that to boot from and upgrade from, you can choose to upgrade without keeping any data if you want which is the same as a clean install.

The problem is that I need to be inside the OS to execute that correctly. I can't boot and select upgrade (I don't know why is that).

Do you have USB 2.0 ports?  I'd try that if you haven't already.  The issue could be that the USB 3.0 drivers are not installed which would be why the KB/mouse works in the UEFI/BIOS and not Windows.  Hope you get it figured out.

The problem is that I need to be inside the OS to execute that correctly. I can't boot and select upgrade (I don't know why is that).

Which laptop/desktop do you have?

Getting into the bios on a uefi device without being able to get to the windows 8 login screen is kinda tricky and requires a different method for each device and manufacturer.

If the keyboard and mouse work outside of the OS, this is a software issue, the keyboard and mouse filters need to be fixed.

Replacing kbdclass and mouclass

1. Open Regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
     - If you're in PE, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  3. Look for a REG_MULTI_SZ value titled UpperFilters.
  4. If it doesn't exist, create it.
  5. Open UpperFilters and add the word kbdclass on it's own line. (Note: "entered on the FIRST line to avoid breaking everything").
  6. Navigate down a bit to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      - If you're in PE, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  7. Look for a REG_MULTI_SZ value titled UpperFilters.
  8. If it doesn't exist, create it.
  9. Open UpperFilters and add the word mouclass on it's own line
  10. Reboot the PC and the keyboard and/or mouse should now work again.

If the keyboard and mouse work outside of the OS, this is a software issue, the keyboard and mouse filters need to be fixed.

Replacing kbdclass and mouclass

1. Open Regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
     - If you're in PE, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  3. Look for a REG_MULTI_SZ value titled UpperFilters.
  4. If it doesn't exist, create it.
  5. Open UpperFilters and add the word kbdclass on it's own line. (Note: "entered on the FIRST line to avoid breaking everything").
  6. Navigate down a bit to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      - If you're in PE, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RemoteOS-HKLM-SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  7. Look for a REG_MULTI_SZ value titled UpperFilters.
  8. If it doesn't exist, create it.
  9. Open UpperFilters and add the word mouclass on it's own line
  10. Reboot the PC and the keyboard and/or mouse should now work again.

Sweeeeeeetttttttt!!!! Excellent!!!!

Which laptop/desktop do you have?

Getting into the bios on a uefi device without being able to get to the windows 8 login screen is kinda tricky and requires a different method for each device and manufacturer.

Also, just so you know for future reference, the upgrade cannot be started from outside of the OS. In order to perform an upgrade on Windows, you need to be inside of the OS already, then you can run setup and choose upgrade.

• Like 1