Latest AMD drivers for Windows 10 Issue - R9 280x

A buddy of mine is having problems on his desktop with an R9 280X that was just upgraded to Windows 10. It seems that for some reason the latest drivers (15.7.1) are causing system instability and causing graphical artifacts and crashing within minutes of the system starting up. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I have the same drivers with a different card and am not having any issues. The only temp fix is to completely uninstall the drivers but isn't a very good solution.

I haven't experienced that issue with my Gigabyte R9 280Xs. Ask your friend to download Display Driver Uninstaller. Whenever I had driver issues in the past, running that program to completely uninstall old drivers helped.

I haven't experienced that issue with my Gigabyte R9 280Xs. Ask your friend to download Display Driver Uninstaller. Whenever I had driver issues in the past, running that program to completely uninstall old drivers helped.

Thanks for the link, I will send it to him immediately.

Thanks for the link, I will send it to him immediately.

No problem. Be sure to let him know that he'll lose his Catalyst Control Centre settings. Things like game-specific profiles, custom video settings and more.

No problem. Be sure to let him know that he'll lose his Catalyst Control Centre settings. Things like game-specific profiles, custom video settings and more.

Still cant seem to fix it. Even clean installed and everything and its still an issue. It works fine then the screen gets a bit fuzzy and then proceeds to turn what ever the primary color on screen is then crash.

Still cant seem to fix it. Even clean installed and everything and its still an issue. It works fine then the screen gets a bit fuzzy and then proceeds to turn what ever the primary color on screen is then crash.

That's odd. Tell him to stick with Catalyst 15.7 for now. if he experiences the issue again, then it's likely a hardware fault. Visual artifacts usually mean overheating.

That's odd. Tell him to stick with Catalyst 15.7 for now. if he experiences the issue again, then it's likely a hardware fault. Visual artifacts usually mean overheating.

The thing is, it works fine without a driver. As soon as the driver is installed everything breaks.

The thing is, it works fine without a driver. As soon as the driver is installed everything breaks.

I wonder if it runs at higher clocks when the drivers are installed. The default 2D clocks are 300 MHz for the core and 150 MHz for the memory. Your friend may need to apply some new thermal paste.

I wonder if it runs at higher clocks when the drivers are installed. The default 2D clocks are 300 MHz for the core and 150 MHz for the memory. Your friend may need to apply some new thermal paste.

I have been trying to figure out if the drivers are over clocking the card automatically but cant keep it running long enough to check. Last I heard some really old drivers seem to work for now (14.4)

Just as a follow up it seems that only the drivers that came with the card actually work. Any other drivers downloaded from AMD cause the same issue. Works for a bit then something as simple as scrolling a web browser will cause it to crash. After rolling back to 8.1 this is still an issue. It seems the drivers were never updated so this issue was never seen before. Has anyone ran into this before and have some idea of what might be causing it?

The new driver 15.7 or even 15.7.1 are nothing but troubles (on my 290X).  I even lost the sound to my monitor thru display port.  Cleaned the driver, and went back to 15.6. 

A buddy of mine is having problems on his desktop with an R9 280X that was just upgraded to Windows 10. It seems that for some reason the latest drivers (15.7.1) are causing system instability and causing graphical artifacts and crashing within minutes of the system starting up. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I have the same drivers with a different card and am not having any issues. The only temp fix is to completely uninstall the drivers but isn't a very good solution.

I have no problems with the 15.7.1 driver on Windows 10, works perfectly. That being said, graphical artifacts and system crash within minutes does not sound driver related. 

I have no problems with the 15.7.1 driver on Windows 10, works perfectly. That being said, graphical artifacts and system crash within minutes does not sound driver related. 

But it doesn't happen on the drivers that came with it. Completely stable and works great. Any other version causes it to crash.

But it doesn't happen on the drivers that came with it. Completely stable and works great. Any other version causes it to crash.

Well, drivers don't *usually* crash systems randomly after a few minutes, but hardware issues do. Driver crashes are *usually* very predictable. Like, use Flash with hardware acceleration, use a particular 3D engine, etc., something that interacts directly with the GPU. 

But you say, you re-installed the old driver and everything works fine again. So then it is a driver issue, and just don't update to the latest driver and keep using the older one for now. The older drivers (14.12 omega or later if you have them) will work with Windows 10 just fine.

Well, drivers don't *usually* crash systems randomly after a few minutes, but hardware issues do. Driver crashes are *usually* very predictable. Like, use Flash with hardware acceleration, use a particular 3D engine, etc., something that interacts directly with the GPU. 

But you say, you re-installed the old driver and everything works fine again. So then it is a driver issue, and just don't update to the latest driver and keep using the older one for now. The older drivers (14.12 omega or later if you have them) will work with Windows 10 just fine.

Yeah I know, still would be nice to be able to fix his system up so he can take full advantage of Windows 10.

Yeah I know, still would be nice to be able to fix his system up so he can take full advantage of Windows 10.

I think it's more likely that his card is faulty. A driver issue with Windows 10 isn't surprising but one that persists with Windows 8.1 leads me to believe that something is wrong with the card. Does he have issues running games with Catalyst 14.4 and Windows 8.1?

Who made his card?  Do they have an updated driver?

XFX, they just use the standard AMD drivers I believe

I think it's more likely that his card is faulty. A driver issue with Windows 10 isn't surprising but one that persists with Windows 8.1 leads me to believe that something is wrong with the card. Does he have issues running games with Catalyst 14.4 and Windows 8.1?

Nope, no issues what so ever with games or anything else on 14.4

XFX, they just use the standard AMD drivers I believe

Nope, no issues what so ever with games or anything else on 14.4

I'm at a loss. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Bro, i had the same problem. It was only then that i realised that i downloaded the wrong drivers! I had downloaded amd catalyst 15.71 driver for r9 300 series cards. So i just deleted them, and installed the proper drivers again and it works now.

Bro, i had the same problem. It was only then that i realised that i downloaded the wrong drivers! I had downloaded amd catalyst 15.71 driver for r9 300 series cards. So i just deleted them, and installed the proper drivers again and it works now.

I'm not sure about earlier versions but 15.7.1 applies to the R9 300 series as well as the R9 200 series (and older).

The correct drivers are being downloaded but I am wondering if they installation package is misidentifying the card. I know Windows Update did that before the drivers were installed when the computer was first setup last year.

• 4 months later...
On July 31, 2015 at 11:15 PM, Mandosis said:

Did your friend ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem, even when I do try to use Windows 10 with the old drivers my screens turn whatever random color and stop working, I can game on Windows 8.1 perfectly fine with my 280x (if using the driver it came with) but if I try to update them I get the same thing happening, my newest problem is that every time I try to open fallout 4 the opening vid goes for like 3 secs and then it crashes but doesn't give me an error. 

12 hours ago, Foxyjanitor said:

Did your friend ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem, even when I do try to use Windows 10 with the old drivers my screens turn whatever random color and stop working, I can game on Windows 8.1 perfectly fine with my 280x (if using the driver it came with) but if I try to update them I get the same thing happening, my newest problem is that every time I try to open fallout 4 the opening vid goes for like 3 secs and then it crashes but doesn't give me an error. 

No, he got a new card. I have his old 280x now but have not had time to mess around with it.