Windows 10 post upgrade explorer.exe crash loop

I upgraded three of my computer to Windows 10 64bit on 29 July 2015 (build 10240), two of them I have no issues with, however one of them today, 31 July 2015, when I started it this morning once it had booted to the desktop explorer started a continuous crash loop. Going into task manger and stopping explorer.exe obviously stops this and I can access the C: drive etc, but am not sure of the cause. I haven't had anytime to explore possible root causes - I did, however prior to heading to work, updated the ATI graphics drives, however this did not stop the issue. I have to review what if any updates may have been installed last night and will remove any updates that were installed post 29 July, 2015. I know it must be a update of some sort, since on 29 July 2015 post install everything on this system worked fine and I had used it for the evening with no issues of any kind. More to follow, however if anyone has heard about or has seen this issue post upgrade any hints about the cause of this problem would be appreciated.

No, it's a destop, and post upgrade everything was working perfect - just this morning the crash loop began. I hadn't done anything to the system post install, no "tweaks" or changing of any settings - 29 July did the upgrade from Win8.1 used it for the evening no issues at all, shut the system down, then restarted this morning and here we are :)  crash loop.

Cclearner is already installed on the sytem in question - I will do as Jose_49 suggested, however I have my doubts that doing that will correct the issue. I suspect that an update had been installed post upgrade that is causing the issue - I will review the update history once I get home from work to see, if in fact, any updates have been install - if none have been then I will have to look for other potential causes.

Cclearner is already installed on the sytem in question - I will do as Jose_49 suggested, however I have my doubts that doing that will correct the issue. I suspect that an update had been installed post upgrade that is causing the issue - I will review the update history once I get home from work to see, if in fact, any updates have been install - if none have been then I will have to look for other potential causes.

There was a Windows Update causing this problem. But it was later on fixed by another. Can{t Remember the KB.

Some info about the crash might help, eventvwr info, etc.. It's 100% something 3rd party running on that system, we just have to find out what it is and update/stop it.

I had a similar issue with a virgin install of Windows 10 where the first time I would boot up the machine each morning it would lock up immediately after typing my password to log in.  There was nothing else installed on the machine at all (all drivers came from the ISO), the machine previously ran Windows 7 flawlessly for over 8 months, and is running Windows 7 flawlessly once again, so I know it was 100% a windows 10 issue.

• 3 months later...

This sounds like a manufacturer sound audio issue for some of us.  I found this solution and it worked for me.  I found some error in the Events Manager and this one was relevant "IDTNC64.cpl."  "The root cause of the problem is that the audio software supplied by IDT and used by several PC manufacturers (Dell, HP and probably others) is not compatible with Windows 10. IDTNC64.CPL is one component of that software and the correct solution is to uninstall the IDT audio altogether. Provided you have just restarted your PC, you should be able to use a Windows Run Box (Win Key + R) before the crashes get too serious. Type 'control panel' into the run box prompt and when the Control Panel appears, use Uninstall to seek out the offending IDT program - on my PC it had an icon of a musical note with the letters IDT next to it - and Uninstall. On rebooting the PC (use Ctrl-Alt-Del to power down if necessary) and restarting, Windows will automatically detect any missing audio drivers and install appropriate ones (not from IDT). You can then check that IDTNC64.CPL is no longer present in C:\windows\system32. If you have not yet migrated from an earlier version of Windows, it is best to Uninstall the IDT software in the old operating system (again, Windows will automatically reinstall compatible drivers) before attempting the upgrade to Windows 10."  After days of troubleshooting, I finally have no desktop or file explorer loop crashes!  Thanks (Mikedt10 !)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was having the same issue with upgrading from windows 7 to 10. Before you do what Sporifics says and downgrade back to your previous version of windows. If the IDTNC64.cpl file is in the C:\windows\system32 Just simply try coping that file to your desktop and delete the original (in the system32 folder). After I did this the issue stopped.  PS. Explorer would always crash when I tried clicking user accounts under control panel. Along with it constantly reloading it self every 5-10mins (you could see the flicker of the task bar when it crashed).

On ‎23‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 9:21 PM, vipergeis said:

I was having the same issue with upgrading from windows 7 to 10. Before you do what Sporifics says and downgrade back to your previous version of windows. If the IDTNC64.cpl file is in the C:\windows\system32 Just simply try coping that file to your desktop and delete the original (in the system32 folder). After I did this the issue stopped.  PS. Explorer would always crash when I tried clicking user accounts under control panel. Along with it constantly reloading it self every 5-10mins (you could see the flicker of the task bar when it crashed).

Only registered to say thanks. I tried a lot and googled a lot and this simple trick helped! THANKS!

And now for german google users:  Ständiger Absturz von explorer.exe nach Windows 10 Upgrade / Update (Lösung: Löschen von IDTNC64.cpl)

On 3/24/2016 at 1:51 AM, vipergeis said:

Registered just to Say thanks to you. High five!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2016 at 2:21 PM, vipergeis said:

I too registered just to say thanks to Soporifics and vipergeis.  The problem stopped immediately and my computer is at peace now (fan was constantly running)!! THANK YOU.

On 3/24/2016 at 3:21 PM, vipergeis said:

Brilliant!! Took care of the issue.

Thank You so much for such a simple fix.

JP

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thank goodness I found this site and this blog! I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 that was experiencing these same crashes. With this problem I was not even able to look in the c:\windows\system32 folder to see if I had the problematic IDTNC64.cpl file as described above, as file explorer wouldn't stay open long enough before crashing. I also was not able to open the control panel. However after rebooting my laptop into safe mode I was then able to use file explorer to determine that I did have the same issue as described above, and copying this file to the desktop and removing the version in the system32  folder did remedy the problem. I then uninstalled the IDT audio driver and rebooted, but Windows did not in fact automatically reinstall a new, working audio driver, so I did not have audio. I then went to the Dell website and downloaded an IDT audio driver for my laptop that is dated 10/29/2015, version 10.0.10586.0. This driver seems to work fine, no crashes, and I now have audio again. Hope this helps and thanks for the help above!

• 1 month later...
On 24/03/2016 at 9:21 PM, vipergeis said:

Thanks a lot vipergeis ! You made my day providing me the solution to my nasty issue !!!!!!!

Don't be jealous Yazoo, I guess this issue happens for several users and on the Internet there are very few helping info and this one completely fixed the issue for me :)

On 3/24/2016 at 4:21 PM, vipergeis said:

Thank you, Viper!  I just registered just to say thanks.

I had just upgraded from Windows 7 to W10, 

and the 2nd issue I saw (after a black screen on startup)

was that I'd open the manilla folder thing, search my computer for something,

then unexpectedly and apparently at random it would just close.

Issue solved.

Can I now delete that thing I moved to my desktop?

On 25/03/2016 at 1:51 AM, vipergeis said:

Dude u r awesome I have been facing this issue for 2 days. I upgraded windows 8 to 8.1 then 8.1 to 10. Then I started facing this issue haven't slept 18hrs straight for this thing. Finally u helped me out. Kudos to u and Neowin

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2016 at 1:21 PM, vipergeis said:

Thank you for the post, after I did as you stated the loop stopped. Thank you again.

My File Explorer slowed down and crashed a lot on the Anv. edition.

Went back to OEM Pro dvd.

I can wait for regular Updates.

Newer is not always better.