Windows 10, notepad, paint, wordpad, dialog boxes cause applications to stop responding.

I did an upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and now notepad, paint, wordpad will stop responding when I click open or save as in file menu.

Dialog box will never show up, and application will just hang there and not respond.

Anyone know how to fix it?

The program notepad.exe version 10.0.10240.16384 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: b20
 Start Time: 01d0cbca21776e5d
 Termination Time: 3
 Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe
 Report Id: 3a993b6b-37be-11e5-822e-54271ebe8219
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Upgrades are always hit or miss. Doing a clean install and installing the drivers before connecting the machine to internet will likely be more successful.

i done upgrade from xp to vista to 7 to 8 to 8.1, on the same machine no reinstalls. never had an issue, until 10.

will try again later

hmm, this seems a common issue, upgraded 5 PCs to 10 and 3 of them have this issue.

2 of them are fine....

out of the 3 pcs that have this issue, i rolled back 1 of them, I will try to figure out what the hell happened on the other 2.

Have you tried

sfc /scannow

and

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Not that you necessarily should have to do that on a fresh upgrade.

Checkdisk perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...