VirtualBox WiFi Issue

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm using the latest version of VB, but I've ran into a problem. My work allows us to use a WiFi Connection for our Personal Phones/Laptops, however I don't have a laptop that works as of this moment. I've installed Ubuntu & Windows 7 into a VM, but I can't seem to get VirtualBox to run through the WiFi, instead of the hardwired connection.

Any thoughts?

Can you post a screenshot of your network adapter settings for the VM? (The VBox settings, not the OS.)

Can you post a screenshot of your network adapter settings for the VM? (The VBox settings, not the OS.)

Sorry about that, I should've done that at the beginning. The first connection is running off the wired, and I don't want that. The second is SUPPOSED to be running off the WiFi, but inside the VM, I only detect 1 Network device. Ubuntu & Windows 7.

I'm a noob at this, lol.

Adapter1.thumb.png.393a9dc739c69534f684dAdapter2.thumb.png.9a9ba2f46a7420eee20c2

"I'm a noob at this, lol."

Understatement of the week, you can drop the at this part for sure ;) ROFL

I would suggest you change to natted on you wifi adapter and try that vs bridged.  There are lots of issues trying to run bridged like that on a wifi connection..  Many wifi cards have issues running in promisc mode.. VB tries to get around this (read their FAQ) doesn't always work.  Use natted mode should fix your problem.

"I'm a noob at this, lol."

Understatement of the week, you can drop the at this part for sure ;) ROFL

I would suggest you change to natted on you wifi adapter and try that vs bridged.  There are lots of issues trying to run bridged like that on a wifi connection..  Many wifi cards have issues running in promisc mode.. VB tries to get around this (read their FAQ) doesn't always work.  Use natted mode should fix your problem.

I'll give it a try. I'm using a work laptop, which we're allowed to run VMs on for education purposes. We just aren't allowed to use the corporate network, WiFi Guest only. I can't even get the WiFi Adapter to be recognized.

Well, it was more in Virtual Box, than VMWare Workstation.

Why would you need the wifi adapter to be recognized?  By your vm??  Your not trying to pass that through to the vm are you?

This looks like VB sees the nic to me..

seesittome.thumb.png.8cfcb1d214888051050

Edit:  Ok look here I connected my workstation to my wifi network, and disabled the wired nic..  So you can see in this screenshot that my VM got a NATTED ip that VB gave it on the 10.x network - But my machine is on wifi network - see how my host is using the dell wifi card on 192.168.4 network.  And my VM can ping to google just fine, see the tracert how it hits the VB natted IP gateway and then my wifi gateway on the 192.168.4 network.

onwifinetwork.thumb.png.dae50cee5c25a0d2

So set your VM to use natted like in my screenshot and the  connect your host machine to your wifi = done, internet access from your VM using the whatever network you host is connected to be it wired or wifi, etc.

See how the VM is seeing the nic that VB presented too it the intel pro/1000 .  This is easiest way to have a VM on the network - trying to bridge to wifi can be problematic depending on your wifi card in your host.

If you want to have your host have both the wired and wifi connection up.. You can change which IP the NAT service bonds with

VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --natbindip1 "10.45.0.2"

Where IP is the IP your wifi got..  So see here my host now has both wired and wifi connection, and I set the vm to use the wifi IP for its nat, as i do a traceroute you see it go through the wifi network to get out to the internet

usewifiwhenmultiple.thumb.png.4349c42080

I don't even use VB anymore - haven't in years.  Downloaded latest version, installed it and fired up VM just to show you these screenshot ;)  this is all basic networking 101 stuff and pretty common across all platforms that you would be using.  Just need to understand what a bridged interface it, natted, host only, etc.. And then RTM on how to do what you want.

Edited by BudMan

That's why I like Hyper-V, and especially on notebooks and laptops - it's no harder to set up a wireless virtual switch than it is a wired one, and you can - literally - set up as many virtual switches as you have network adapters.  Integrated, external (USB, for example) - doesn't matter.

IF I understand this correctly, again I may be off, BUT it seems OP wants to be connected to the internal wifi/wired but on the gust network while in the VM 

not really sure if that's possible but BudMan or one of the other experts will chime in 

IF I understand this correctly, again I may be off, BUT it seems OP wants to be connected to the internal wifi/wired but on the gust network while in the VM 

not really sure if that's possible but BudMan or one of the other experts will chime in 

I'll try and explain it as best as I can.

Our wired connection is the corporate network. We have a WiFi network that's used for any non-company equipment; cellphones, personal laptops, vms, etc.. We do lan parties all the time here, and we use the WiFi and connect via a VPN. Corporate doesn't care because it's a separate network, and can't affect any devices.

I wanted to use my internal WiFi on my laptop (Lenovo T430), for the Virtual Machine, and use my wired connection for anything non-related to the Virtual Machine. The WiFi network is called "IntuitGuest", yes I work for Intuit in a Data Center. I don't know these sorts of things because I'm still new. I'm not like BudMan, I'm not a walking Library of Congress. One day I hope to much like BudMan, wise for his age (50s is young, right?)

I'll try and explain it as best as I can.
Our wired connection is the corporate network. We have a WiFi network that's used for any non-company equipment; cellphones, personal laptops, vms, etc.. We do lan parties all the time here, and we use the WiFi and connect via a VPN. Corporate doesn't care because it's a separate network, and can't affect any devices.

I wanted to use my internal WiFi on my laptop (Lenovo T430), for the Virtual Machine, and use my wired connection for anything non-related to the Virtual Machine. The WiFi network is called "IntuitGuest", yes I work for Intuit in a Data Center. I don't know these sorts of things because I'm still new. I'm not like BudMan, I'm not a walking Library of Congress. One day I hope to much like BudMan, wise for his age (50s is young, right?)

OK so I was on track, guess who the support analyst is :)

Does your environment automatically disable the WiFi when wired, ours does and there's no way to bypass that, if not I guess it should be doable 

network_connections.thumb.png.8a7eecdf01

These are my connections. No idea what the Cisco AnyConnect is about.

Anyconnect is your VPN client 

Looks like the wifi should work, again I'm not VM pro yet

network_connections.thumb.png.8a7eecdf01

These are my connections. No idea what the Cisco AnyConnect is about.

Sounds like you want a bridged adapter with your wifi card as the device. I've never done that myself. I usually setup bridged with ethernet when I want to be visible on the lan. From that picture, it looks like you have a wifi connection. Perhaps you just need to remove/disable all the other adapters.

It's funny you mentioned Intuit, I'm currently writing an application that interfaces with their QuickBooks desktop SDK.

Sounds like you want a bridged adapter with your wifi card as the device. I've never done that myself, and I'm not sure if VBox supports that. I usually setup bridged with ethernet when I want to be visible on the lan.

It's funny you mentioned Intuit, I'm currently writing an application that interfaces with their QuickBooks desktop SDK.

Ohhh! QuickBase is so DAMN SLOW! >:(

QuickBooks is tight, unless their servers go offline. 

The below image is how things are around here... Haha

SysAdminDay.thumb.jpg.9a4849109c62c69827

Ohhh! QuickBase is so DAMN SLOW! >:(
QuickBooks is tight, unless their servers go offline. 

The below image is how things are around here... Haha

SysAdminDay.thumb.jpg.9a4849109c62c69827

Hehe.

I'm not using their cloud services, just the desktop QBFC COM interfaces.

Screw it. I give up. I'll just bring my personal laptop to work when I get it. Seems like it'd be a win-win then.

I was just hoping to be able to do more educational stuff with it, oh well.

Dude did you not read my freaking post... I gave you you very clear instructions on how to have your VM use your wifi network.

Wifi and bridged adapters not stable reliable to work setup..  Just use natted connection.. It took me all of 10 min to get this working, and that was downloading VB and installing windows 7 in a VM

"I wanted to use my internal WiFi on my laptop (Lenovo T430), for the Virtual Machine, and use my wired connection for anything non-related to the Virtual Machine."

I went through exactly how to do that!