Previous Windows 10 insiders get a free copy of Windows 10 Pro (i'm pretty sure)

I'm going to change the direction of this thread. Below is what I said before. I suspected that even though Microsoft said you had to stay in the insiders program to get a free copy of Windows 10, my leaving the insider program on a PC I didn't pay $2 for and staying activated said otherwise. I hadn't clean installed but I suspected they would activate just fine. So far the ones that responded prove it.

Has anyone done a clean install of 10 Pro on an insider build PC? Does it activate?

I'm just wondering if anyone has done a clean install of 10 Pro on an insider build PC and if it's activated once inside windows? Has anyone tried to leave the insider program and had the PC stay activated?

I left the insider program on 1 machine and it stayed activated. I haven't clean installed yet, but I suspect it will stay activated.

Edited by warwagon

I have not yet either, but will NLT Tuesday (ordered an SSD), but I did find a script that gives you your windows key.

Some users have reportedly problems activating Windows 10 after doing a clean install of the operating system.

These users should check the following on the system:

• Check under Settings > Update & Security >  Activation whether "Windows is Activated", and if the right edition is installed.
  • Check under Settings > Accounts > Your Account to make sure you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account.
  • Use the following VB Script to check the product key and compare it against the following generic keys
  • Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
  • Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
  • Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
  • Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y
  • If you have a generic key, there is no other solution currently but to call Microsoft Support (source)

Copy and paste the following into a Notepad window:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension.

Yes.  I'm on the same PC that I've been testing all the previous builds with.  And I did a clean install last night (after having done an upgrade once before that).  Once I signed in with my Microsoft account, I activated fine without ever entering a key.  And I'm no longer receiving insider builds.

I also activated just fine after not entering any keys during install

Just as I suspected. I think they should do a story on the front page "Previous Windows 10 insiders get a free copy of Windows 10 pro"

That should be the case, as all Insiders tested Pro or Enterprise (Home was NOT part of the Insider testing pool).

I DO have a question for those that upgraded to Home, though - is Hyper-V included with Home?  (It is NOT included with 8.1 Core, and Mom's AIO has a third-generation Core i3 with virtualization enabled in the BIOS, and EPT supported in the CPU.)