Windows 10 - Movies & TV App and MKV Files

Hi Neowinners -

Anyone notice an issue with the Movie & TV App playing MKV files - particularly audio?  It seems to not be working, but plays fine for AVI and MP4.  Not using any codec packs - prefer not too.

Thanks

Some play and some don't. I'm guessing the lack of bluray playback or even DVD playback has the OS missing some codecs to play some audio codecs.

VLC, the best Jerry, the best.

Get Mediainfo and run it against your mkv (mkv is a container) and see what's inside it. You'll find the audio is prob AC3, which will be unsupported I imagine. 

Edited by Jared-

It does support AC3. My MKVs with AC3 and AAC work fine. What it doesn't seem to support is DTS.

• Like 2

You'll need a DTS Codec for DTS support.. Windows doesn't come with it.

A great option is MPC-HC or MPC-BE if you simply want a proper player. I tried out the built in Windows App and was less than impressed.

As for VLC being the best.. no.. just no. It's the most versatile, it'll play anything, but not particularly well.

I use the app to watch the odd episode of something and it works quite well for it. Movies I use the XBOX/Plex/BluRay anyway.

If it supported DTS it's not a particularly bad app, had no issues with it so far.

Yup, it looks like they are in DTS.  Issue resolved with MPC-HC.  Was afraid I would lose my thumbnails, but looks like they stayed!