Shutdown gaming PC on No Input

I have a gaming PC setup that I want to shut off automatically after no user input after say 45 minutes.

I assumed I would set up a batch file with "shutdown /f" in it and schedule it for on idle using task scheduler.

This doesn't work when the CPU is not idle.  

Does anyone have an idea for how to force a PC to shutdown when no user input has been detected for a period of time, even if a game or app is using the CPU?

My kids walk away and leave their games open all the time.

I am not worried about save games, if they walk away without saving thats their fault.

You can put it to sleep from within the power options, if that is good enough for you?

Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings.

• Like 1

Hibernate should do it. Not sure if the games will stop this happening though.

Hibernate might not work.

@ OP Why not hire someone or ask someone to develop a script. I'm assuming this is windows, right? If you'd like, I can look into it. Shouldn't be TOO difficult to do.

1. Load the shutdown45.exe into the start up menu.
2. Configure the config file (Time / idle % (what % and below it should consider "idle"))
3. let it run.

I'll ask my C++ guru buddy if he can whip something up quickly. If it's an extensive program, I'll toss him some $$ on your behalf. Since I'm asking.

I have a gaming PC setup that I want to shut off automatically after no user input after say 45 minutes.

I assumed I would set up a batch file with "shutdown /f" in it and schedule it for on idle using task scheduler.

This doesn't work when the CPU is not idle.  

Does anyone have an idea for how to force a PC to shutdown when no user input has been detected for a period of time, even if a game or app is using the CPU?

My kids walk away and leave their games open all the time.

I am not worried about save games, if they walk away without saving thats their fault.

Haven't tried this screensaver myself, but point it at a file.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#RunSaver

You can trigger shutdown with the command shutdown -s -t 0, or add some delay e.g. shutdown -s -t 60 for an alert and one-minute countdown to shutdown.

• 4 weeks later...