Windows 10 SDK failing to install

So I'm having problems trying to get the windows 10 SDK to install... I originally tried to install the visual studio 2015 community edition with the SDK but it gave a generic error saying it failed to install the SDK but installed everything else - I could launch visual studio, create a universal app but got a message telling me I needed to install the emulator and SDK because neither were installed. Launched the setup again and went to modify, the SDK was selected (like it was installed) so I unticked it and removed it.

Downloaded the windows 10 emulator and SDK as external applications from the developer website - can't install the emulator because I don't have the hardware support for it, that's OK, but I'm still unable to install the SDK. When I get the 'failed to install' with the standalone SDK I'm given a log file which shows the error:

MSI (s) (18:04) [21:02:57:565]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 3396 (0xD44).
MSI (s) (18:98) [21:02:57:594]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (18:98) [21:02:57:596]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated Non-remapped custom action server.
CAQuietExec:  Microsoft (R) Generate UnionWinMD Tool version 10.0.2
CAQuietExec:  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
CAQuietExec:  All rights reserved.
CAQuietExec:  Error: You must run this script from an elevated command prompt.
CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070002: Command line returned an error.
CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070002: CAQuietExec Failed
CustomAction GenUnionWinMD returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

I've tried running the SDK as an admin and I still get the same error so it's bogus saying it's not an elevated command prompt. There are a few threads on the net with the same error as this for the old insider builds of windows 10 and the response from MS staff was to upgrade the installer because a newer version fixed it... Well this is the official release version of the SDK and I'm getting the error in this version. Has anyone else got this error or managed to find a workaround for it?

Solution to anyone encountering this problem: you've probably disabled the 'server' service and so this wonderfully written piece of code fails, absolutely amazing:

REM Check for elevation
net session >nul 2>&1
if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
ECHO Confirmed running as administrator
) else (
ECHO Error: You must run this script from an elevated command prompt.
EXIT /B 2
)

(Piggy-backing this thread) using visual studio 2015 to develop/test javascript universal apps... Any ideas how to do this? I've installed the node.js package and got some of the samples from MS - the c# versions work and debug fine but I'm not able to debug any of the javascript sample projects, the option for debugging is greyed out and if I go to properties for the project I get 'There is no project properties provided for "Persistence = JavaScriptProjectPropertiesProvider"', so I'm assuming it's that I've not got it setup properly?

This is such a god damn mess.

Removed the community version and installed the enterprise version, it now seems to detect everything but I can't debug;

Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line
Error        "10.0.0.0" is not a supported value for TargetPlatformVersion. Please change it on the Project Property page.    App4    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\JavaScript\Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.UAP.targets    64

IS THIS A JOKE OR SOMETHING, I mean honestly, what did the team at MS spend months doing, it can't have been developing or testing because creating a brand new application doesn't work. I'm beginning to see why everywhere is dropping support for windows apps, this is a pain in the arse, and this is a problem that neither android nor iOS has.

It's yet another broken installer.

The enterprise VS installer doesn't install the windows 10 SDK properly when you select it, in fact it decides to install the windows 8.1 SDK. You can then modify the install and it'll show universal windows SDK as being install (it isn't) and windows 8.1 SDK as not being installed (it is).

So then you have to download the external windows 10 SDK and install that.

After all this of which I don't even think I can be bothered to do any windows 10 development anyway.