Bad harddrive or something else?

So I have this Western Digital that's showing up everywhere but Explorer and I can't figure out what the heck is going on... I figure if it's dead it wouldn't be showing up at all right?

Where else is it showing up? 

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and see if it appears there. Right click any current volumes on the disk to assign them a drive letter, or reformat it if it needs formatting. 

There's not much to go on from your post.

Well there is something wrong, where did the drive come from? If it came from a Mac or Linux machine that what you're seeing here would make sense. If you don't care about the contents of the drive you could delete the volumes on the drive and create a new NTFS one. 

Well there is something wrong, where did the drive come from? If it came from a Mac or Linux machine that what you're seeing here would make sense. If you don't care about the contents of the drive you could delete the volumes on the drive and create a new NTFS one.

It's a Windows box, same one it's been hooked to since I bought it only about four months ago.

Looks like the controller is baulked if its an externsl remove it from the case and atatch it internally.

I think I might have to try this cause there is a lot of stuff on there that's no where else... Bleh...

Not sure if this helps, but I had an issue when upgrading my Windows 7 to Windows 10.  All of the data on my non primary drives became corrupted.  I took the drives out and plugged them into another machine.

- Dispart / cleaned them

- Ran seatools (and drives came back perfectly fine w/o errors)

- Copied data from back up (4 hours)

- Placed back into machine and drive still did not show up.

After some head banging, turned out that Windows 10 did not like the Intel Storage Matrix driver installed and it failed to upgrade it. I reverted back to the MS driver and everything mounted successfully (although I lost my data once again).  Installed updated driver from Intel site and all is good.

What error does it give then?

None really.

Diskpart > list volume > select volume N > assign letter E, if that doesn't work then I don't quite know.

Not looking so good :(

Untitled.jpg

try list disk > select disk N > list partition > select partition N > assign letter L in diskpart then, if that also doesn't show up... well upgrade to Windows 8.1/10 first, not sure why you are seemingly on Windows 8.0.

try list disk > select disk N > list partition > select partition N > assign letter L in diskpart then, if that also doesn't show up... well upgrade to Windows 8.1/10 first, not sure why you are seemingly on Windows 8.0.

Was on a fresh install. But I tried it and it didn't work sadly :( I feel like I'm just going to have to bust it open and hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

So I pulled them open and they still don't work! I also installed another SSD I had and it's acting just the same! Here's a pic.

Untitled.jpg

Disk3 in your screenshot says removable, yet you say everything is in the PC now?

Yeah I know right? Bad ports on the motherboard messing everything up? I just don't know...

Try making a GParted CD, and configuring the drives that way, to rule out any driver/windows issues.

Try changing the SATA cable too.

Tried changing SATA cable which didn't work. I've never used GParted before. 

• 4 weeks later...

So to update this I ended up getting a new CPU and motherboard (not to try to fix this it was just about that time) and when I went to install Windows again it saw them all and let me even install Windows on one but when I got to the desktop nothing... Still don't understand what's going on...