Messed up big time trying to jump straight to a clean install of Windows 10

Question

This happened on a HP Desktop from 2013 I believe (can verify if necessary). I had reserved a copy of windows 10 for this PC. I misread an article and thought that as long as I had reserved the windows 10 license, it would activate automatically. Now I know I had to upgrade first. Lesson learned (the hard way :( )

Used the download tool to create a USB installer (Home Single Language x64). Installed onto the same partition where 8.1 was (confirmed yes, move 8.1 to /windows.old/ directory). Never entered a product key both times asked for one. When attempting to activate, there was a product key (well, the last 5 digits indicating it tried using one somehow). Got an error message that this key was being blocked or something like that.

In a panic, I tried booting the system recovery partition. Apparently, 8.1 was needed to do so? Only recover software I was able to boot into from the HDD seemed to be from windows 10, and didn't recognize any of the files on the recovery partition from windows 8. I was able to locate and run the Recovery Media Creator in the /windows.old/program files (x86)/hewlett Packard/recovery/ directory using the newly installed unactivated copy of win 10. Burned the DVDs (still no 32GB or larger USB). Was unable to boot from the DVDs, even after messing with disabling secure boot and enabling both legacy something and custom signatures.

I'm far from an expert (obviously, that's why I'm asking the experts for help :) ), but I have a feeling the HP recovery software that burned the DVDs used some files from the windows 10 install that I was using on the DVDs, and they were incompatible with the other windows 8 files it used from the recovery partition.

At this point, what's my best bet? What's going to get it back to being genuine cheapest? Order a set of recovery DVDs/USB from HP? Buy a copy of windows 7/8/10? Is there any way to replace the windows 10 files with the windows 8 files in windows.old and actually boot successfully?

13 answers to this question

If you still have a Windows.old folder, then you can revert back to Windows 8.1. Do that and then upgrade to Windows 10 the proper way.

So glad to hear that Yusuf. How might I do that?

Go to Settings, Update & Security, and Recovery. You should see a window that says "Go back to Windows 8.1". Click on the button that says "Get started".

I had this problem on one of my upgrades. Had to reinstall 8.1, activate with BIOS key. Waited a little while, then upgraded to 10 again (in place). Didn't enter a key in 10 setup, then it activated normally.

Downloading an 8.1 ISO at the moment... was hoping I could maybe activate with the BIOS key then upgrade, but I'd prefer to get the windows 10 ISO straight from MS if possible and avoid the upgrade and use of shady sourced ISOs...

When I go to Settings, Update & Security, then Recovery I see two options: Reset this PC and Advanced Startup. Is there supposed to be a third?

It should look like this:

gJl0PeX.jpg

Downloading an 8.1 ISO at the moment... was hoping I could maybe activate with the BIOS key then upgrade, but I'd prefer to get the windows 10 ISO straight from MS if possible and avoid the upgrade and use of shady sourced ISOs...

You can download a Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

I'm missing the Go back to 8.1 option... maybe because I did a clean install instead of an upgrade? If I download that win 10 ISO from MS, will it activate if I never upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and only did a clean install that never activated properly? What's the difference from that ISO and the USB the MS win 10 download tool created? Home and Pro instead of just Home?

I'm missing the Go back to 8.1 option... maybe because I did a clean install instead of an upgrade? If I download that win 10 ISO from MS, will it activate if I never upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and only did a clean install that never activated properly? What's the difference from that ISO and the USB the MS win 10 download tool created? Home and Pro instead of just Home?

I assumed you'd have that option because of your Windows.old folder. You'll need to install Windows 8.1 first with a valid product key and then upgrade to Windows 10 in order for it to activate. Once you have Windows 10 installed, you can reset your PC and delete the Windows.old folder with Disk Cleanup.

I downloaded the Pro ISO and the file size is a little bigger than the one I got through the media creation tool. I'm guessing it has more updates bundled with it.