Start menu search not working in Windows 10

Hi all,

I hope I'm missing something silly. I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I'm used to search for the apps through the start menu in Windows 7 and the start screen in windows 8.1 (I never manually browse the start menu list find and start an application). The search in Windows 10 never produces any result. The menu remains empty and the search progress animation (those dots going from left to right) keep moving eternally.

Are you also experiencing this?

Open the indexing options and see the status of the index. It might still be chugging through your hard drives building the index.

Have you tried using Cortana, that is how I search?

There is no cortana where I live :)

Hi all,

I hope I'm missing something silly. I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I'm used to search for the apps through the start menu in Windows 7 and the start screen in windows 8.1 (I never manually browse the start menu list find and start an application). The search in Windows 10 never produces any result. The menu remains empty and the search progress animation (those dots going from left to right) keep moving eternally.

Are you also experiencing this?

I had a similar problem, I installed Windows 10 from scratch though (clean install). My issue was similar, when I search through start menu I got no results (just a small loading animation in the top of the menu) and nothing happens...Also when I remove or resize some icons from the start menu nothing happened...I thought that it's related to video drivers incompatibility and I reinstalled a video drivers but nothing happened. Then I disabled the transparent start menu and it works great for now, so you can maybe give it a try. To turn of transparency right click desktop > personalize > colors > "make start, taskbar and action center transparent > OFF. 

UPDATE:

Above post wasn't actual solution for me, the problem got back later on.

It seems Kaspersky AV was causing problems in my case:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=328331&st=0 

After uninstalling Kaspersky now everything works like a charm!

I had a similar problem, I installed Windows 10 from scratch though (clean install). My issue was similar, when I search through start menu I got no results (just a small loading animation in the top of the menu) and nothing happens...Also when I remove or resize some icons from the start menu nothing happened...I thought that it's related to video drivers incompatibility and I reinstalled a video drivers but nothing happened. Then I disabled the transparent start menu and it works great for now. Start menu is more responsible, search/resizing/pin-unpin and everything in start menu works instantly which wasn't a case before (I usually needed to log off/on or restart pc) so you can maybe give it a try. To turn of transparency right click desktop > personalize > colors > "make start, taskbar and action center transparent > OFF. 

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not helping though :(

Try looking in Task manager and stopping Cortana or SearchUI.exe in details, right click -> End Task -> Try again. Worth a go...

That did it! :) I guess a reboot would have fixed it too... :blush:

Thanks a lot all of you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try looking in Task manager and stopping Cortana or SearchUI.exe in details, right click -> End Task -> Try again. Worth a go...

Yes, this did it for me, too! Thanks a lot for sharing!