How to clean/revive old freezer

When we had our kitchen refitted I kept hold of the old freezer as thought it may come in handy one day. That time has come, so I need to revive it. It has been in a garage, off with the door closed for probably 6-9 months. I opened it today and the smell wasn't great (kind of expected that)! I have cleaned it tonight and am going to leave it off but door open to "breathe" tonight/tomorrow. Is there anything else I should do before switching it back on? And how long do you should think I leave it before firing it up again?

Cheers

If it still smells I heard heard of people that have buried their freezer and let the Micro Organisms get cure the stink.

get some tin/aluminium foil, make it into a large tray and fill it with charcoal, leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks, should absorb all the smell/odour. 

if the smell is still there, get rid of that charcoal and refill it. 

since it's been moved you usually leave it a minimum of 4 hours for the coolants to settle (some people leave it for 12, overnight) before switching it on.

It has been in a garage, off with the door closed for probably 6-9 months.

:no:

Never ever do that again.

Always keep the door open/removed when you store a freezer.

As yazoo said some baking soda in a cup for couple of days usually does the job. Never tried it but my parents did so must work ... or not ;)

1. clean it with some cleaner that fights mildrew/mold, then give it a few minutes to dry out.

2. turn it on, and leave a few packs of baking soda (like arms and hummer brand, that is designed to be put in fridge) or any other adsorbent designed to contain smells and moisture.

3. give it a couple of days to adsorb it all.

4. hooray, you have a freezer that does not smell.