Who can't go on Facebook at work because of softcore content?

Is it just me or do you find yourself not going on to Facebook at work because the content that keeps coming up on the feed? I find that a lot of stuff on here is softcore content and I always have to watch myself before I go on it. Most of the time, I take a quick look or just go on my phone to make sure I don't see anything that someone could look at that I have no control.

You should be fired for looking at facebook on your work computer, period!

I'd never want to work for you, then.

• Like 2

So for the two that said they don't use Facebook during work hours. What about during a lunch hour? Surely that's okay?

Thankfully, I don't find a lot of softcore/inappropriate things on my feed so don't have an issue. 

My company owns websense.  It is my job to find people on the internet talking/complaing about usage rules in a corporate environment and report them to the mothership.  We then use a next-gen algorithm created on a quantum computer and report your future infractions to your employer.  You will then be terminated, and charged with illegal use of corporate capital and punished to the full extent of whatever law we make up in the future.

Your infractions have been noted, have a nice day.

And to the person who doesnt know why they cant browse facebook while @ work - when you get a real job (career) you will see that there is a time and place for everything - and you are not being paid to keep up with the Kardashians and accept friend requests from people you dont know.

Until then - dont eat the pepperoni from the pizzas you are delivering. ;)

• Like 2

And to the person who doesnt know why they cant browse facebook while @ work - when you get a real job (career) you will see that there is a time and place for everything - and you are not being paid to keep up with the Kardashians and accept friend requests from people you dont know.

Until then - dont eat the pepperoni from the pizzas you are delivering. ;)

Really? Why does it matter what I do during my lunch hour? Whether that's paying a bill, arranging a dentist appointment or seeing what's on Facebook? As long as I'm getting my day job done I don't see the issue. 

And don't get me wrong, this can't happen all the time. There have been times where I'm busy and will be flat out from 8-7, with enough time to devour a sandwich.

Your comments are really presumptuous :s  

• Like 1

As a System engineer, I've purposely not put myself in the "Unlimited Internet Access" group - takes away the temptation to visit sites you shouldn't be at work. 

None the less, the current place I'm at has it unblocked as the company uses it for their marketing campaigns. 

New job in a few weeks will prob have it blocked, meh.

(My weakness would be IRC.)

Really? Why does it matter what I do during my lunch hour? Whether that's paying a bill, arranging a dentist appointment or seeing what's on Facebook? As long as I'm getting my day job done I don't see the issue. 

And don't get me wrong, this can't happen all the time. There have been times where I'm busy and will be flat out from 8-7, with enough time to devour a sandwich.

Your comments are really presumptuous :s  

Your comments have been noted, and reported.  Expect to be punished tomorrow for things you will do in the near future.

Dont talk bad to websense.... we are watching you.

As a System engineer, I've purposely not put myself in the "Unlimited Internet Access" group - takes away the temptation to visit sites you shouldn't be at work. 

None the less, the current place I'm at has it unblocked as the company uses it for their marketing campaigns. 

New job in a few weeks will prob have it blocked, meh.

(My weakness would be IRC.)

Network Ops Engineer here as well - I simply dont have time to do any browsing - seriously.  When @ lunch - I am trying to replace the little chunks of my brain that have fallen off onto my deli sandwich.  For those sweet 30 minutes - if you said Facebook - I would drool on myself, then somehow muster up a "WTF is facebook ?  and Why are you talking to me ?  You know the rules about non-engineers talking to engineers ?  We bite !"
Then I go back to crying in said deli sandwich and get ready for the mental onslaught that is the afternoon.

How about you ?

• Like 2

I think there is a level of disconnect when a user is on his/her work computer.  Many people simply click without regard.  Maybe it is a feeling of, "well Im sure there is so much security in place that I wont get infected."  

I may be a little jaded, I simply think most people are dumb and dont think or cant think of repercussions of blindly browsing on their work computers.

I am not one of the security admins, but I get the reports & it is shocking what people install on their work computer.  We actually had an employee who was using our gigabit connection to download music (went on for 2 days before someone noticed it and stopped it - he downloaded like 100 songs.

I guess work doesn't mean work to you. 

You should be fired for looking at facebook on your work computer, period!

You two do know there is this wonderful thing that all employees get called a lunch break!!

Mean you don't have to work for an hour....Perfectly fine to be on Facebook, or Neowin in this case during that time.

As for OP point, no my FB feed is generally quite normal, I'll only ever watch vids with the sound muted, but don't often see much that would make me want to close fb.

Also I get asked "May I please have admin rights on my machine?" my answer:

"Whose machine is it? And the answer is no because you cant be trusted"

This remind me of when i was a youth worker in London.

We had a "Youth Bus" that we used to drive around and basically provide a free mobile youth centre to the most deprived areas of our London borough.
Imagine my surprise when, on the launch day, i walked in to discover the 10 Windows Vista PC's they had in place, were all admin rights, no passwords and no wipe/reset software installed. Also imagine my surprise when all the browsers had all their plugins out of date, and remember all details entered!

I mean, at least they were all padlocked to the bus right?

Oh yes ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the insanity of a council IT dept!

• Like 2

We use firefox @ work because it runs our software better than chrome (ie out of the question) - a couple times, I have run passwordfox on a user's computer to show them how easy it is for someone else to get all of their information in less than 10 seconds when they leave their computer without locking their session.

For those that dont know - passwordfox is a handy little utility from the guys @ nirsoft that reveals all passwords and user names for any websites that have been visited and logged on. - It dumps it in a nice little chart for easy referencing.

Once they see how easy it is, and then a quick story about what can be done with that info - you would think they would be scared into submission - and follow security protocols - NOPE !

You two do know there is this wonderful thing that all employees get called a lunch break!!

Mean you don't have to work for an hour....Perfectly fine to be on Facebook, or Neowin in this case during that time.

As for OP point, no my FB feed is generally quite normal, I'll only ever watch vids with the sound muted, but don't often see much that would make me want to close fb.

If you are on lunch break or clocked in, you need to still comply to company policy.  It is THEIR computer and internet service.

• Like 3

If you are on lunch break or clocked in, you need to still comply to company policy.  It is THEIR computer and internet service.

Exactly this. Just because it's lunch break, doesn't mean the computer suddenly becomes theirs to do what they please.

To the OP: Maybe you need to think about unfollowing those friends whose content is causing issues?

Oh yes ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the insanity of a council IT dept!

When I worked for the NHS I had to explain to a receptionist why they shouldn't write down all the passwords to access the clinical system and to patient data, and then hang that on the wall, in public view. You thought the council were bad!

• Like 2

When I worked for the NHS I had to explain to a receptionist why they shouldn't write down all the passwords to access the clinical system and to patient data, and then hang that on the wall, in public view. You thought the council were bad!

Touché!

Also I get asked "May I please have admin rights on my machine?" my answer:

"Whose machine is it? And the answer is no because you cant be trusted"

At the company I work for (developer) we all have admin rights for our local machines... We need it for development but I was kind of surprised that the IT department would just allow that.

I guess work doesn't mean work to you. 

Guess you never take breaks or go to the toilet then I assume. Good for you. Others do.

At the company I work for (developer) we all have admin rights for our local machines... We need it for development but I was kind of surprised that the IT department would just allow that.

It's a matter of trust. When you don't abuse the system then there is no reason to put restrictions in place.

• Like 1