Downshift: those who have gone from Windows 10 BACK to Windows 8/8.1 or 7

***No arguing. I'd like to express this thread to be a constructive conversation of what windows you went back to, why, basically be a constructive discussion based upon those who decided to revert back to a past MS OS. along with what about windows latest OS caused you to want to go back.*** Please DO NOT bash anyone for their choice of OS. 

I was quite pleased during techinal builds of windows 10 and honestly thought that 10 would be the hosttest thing since hot sliced bread( as my mom used to quip). However, when Windows 10 went RTM something changed. What bothered me and I've taken a lot of flack over this is, the windows update on home edition was cirippled to the point that I didn't have the choices that past windows versions like 7,8 and 8.1 had on controlling what updates to install. realistically, I have a special toshiba app that updates my system drivers itself and I don't want to chance windows updates conflicting with my toshiba updates. so I downshifted to 8.1. I'm a desktop user as my system isn't and never was a touchscreen system to take advantage of modern UI anyway.

So I ended up pulling out my Windows 7 home premium and am enjoying the UI and it works the way I like it to. But updates are set to inform me of new updates but let me decide which to install. What I DO enjoy about windows 10 is directx12. however MS has made it abundantly clear that directx12 and edge browser are to be "exclusive" to windows 10. so if you want the goodies, you have to install windows 10. so I've made the conscious choice in my mind to be left behind. Even though I'm not on the cutting edge with Microsofts latest OS, I'm still on a Microsoft OS. Here's to hearing about a great conversation on our experiences! 

Chrisj1968

Here's a trick on how I figured out what hardware is in my system;

I opened "device manager" and expanded that major hardware features sections (wifi, wired lan, video, soundcard etc.)I used the snipping tool to screen grab this and had my printer print a copy of this so when I installed windows 7, I was able to first install my wifi driver for internet to download the rest.

it worked quite well and everything seems to be in good order.

Edited by chrisj1968
trying to fix misspellings. I'm a two finger typist

I service student computer daily at a school that I work for. We have had to downgrade a few due to incompatibilities(Points finger at Sony Vaio) or no updated drivers(Sony again). What I told them was to wait another 6 months or so until more drivers come out and be prepared to do a clean install the next time. I do get your point about the driver thing, that just irks my nerves. I am on a pro system at home and I am seeing this happen. I think that Microsoft crossed a line they should not have at least with the drivers thing.

I've heard about Sony being awful at Sony driver support in other threads. I'm not sure if Sony will give you drivers for windows 10. I hope they do so you can get the system to where you want them.

I haven't downgraded but I'm considering it. Windows Update nuked my video card driver twice and left my PC in a near-unusable state. Rebooting into safe mode didn't work and I didn't know how to manually uninstall a driver via command prompt. Twice, I had to use system restore to fix the issue and if it happens again, then I'm going back to Windows 8.1. The main reason I even upgraded to Windows 10 was DirectX 12 and the under-the-hood improvements. I don't use the Edge browser and I'm not a fan of the UI.

Microsoft took a huge step backward with Windows Update. I understand the need for forced security updates but at least make it optional for power users. We're the kind of users that want that extra bit of control. And forced driver updates shouldn't have even been considered. It's stupid and as a gamer, it really annoys me. I don't need or want WU to replace the latest stable video card driver from AMD.

Anyway, time will tell. I'm waiting for the next cumulative update and if it breaks things again.. then bye bye Windows 10 until Microsoft no longer forces driver updates.

I agree Yusuf. the WU control is key. because I realized that the drivers for my hardware in WU can be older or not in line with what Toshiba updated on my system. But windows 10 other than that, worked fine. I stopped using windows 10 with the 10041 build because that Nvidia driver update, bombed my system and games stopped working. So having been out of the loop, the RTM UI was quite different than what I was accustomed to. So reverting back to 7 gave me a stable OS (in my regard).

I service student computer daily at a school that I work for. We have had to downgrade a few due to incompatibilities(Points finger at Sony Vaio) or no updated drivers(Sony again). What I told them was to wait another 6 months or so until more drivers come out and be prepared to do a clean install the next time. I do get your point about the driver thing, that just irks my nerves. I am on a pro system at home and I am seeing this happen. I think that Microsoft crossed a line they should not have at least with the drivers thing.

I've heard about Sony being awful at Sony driver support in other threads. I'm not sure if Sony will give you drivers for windows 10. I hope they do so you can get the system to where you want them.

Friends don't let friends buy Sony computers. They look pretty but they suck at support.

• Like 3

I'm most likely going to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1. My thoughts on why is simply because of the Privacy Violations. What I do with my computer, is my own damn business. Microsoft has ZERO rights to tell me what I can, and cannot do. I'm sorry, but I live in America, we've got the right to do whatever we want (to an extent).

As for the DX12 comment, give me a list of games that actually run DX12. None of the games I play, even use DX11 (AFAIK). In reality, all Microsoft is doing is trading one evil for another. If you run W10, you're giving up x rights, for y opportunities.

That's why I researched OEM's for a year before I made a purchase. I was working at the time and used my tax return to make the purchase. But I found toshiba by word of mouth and forums offered great support and they have. What bothers me is that, I inquired as to whether or not MS was going to offer an upgrade to windows 10. MS isn't even working with OEM's on offering an upgrade for users to install. you can only upgrade through an OEM if you BUT an new system.

but with 7,  I know what I'm getting and its complete. I did have to shutoff or disable secure boot in order to install windows 7 from 8.1.

I am currently running Windows 10, however I see no real benefit too it for ME, over Windows 7 HP 64bit.  Sure it looks okay (in places) and it has features that could evolve into something special (DX12) however I game on ESO, and STO.  Maybe some TF2.  My windows machine is my personal machine, just used for gaming, socializing.  Windows 10 for me feels like using a BMW 750 V12 to go shopping, a bit unneeded.

That being said I fully understand that Windows 8.1 would be a step up from Windows 7 in some regards?

Haven't downgraded nor do I think I will on my Surface Pro 3. Everything works so far, except for one of my app. As for privacy concerns, I really don't care and I don't think Microsoft wants to know what I do alone when no one is watching :rofl:. There are several tools available if you are really that concern over your privacy. As for drivers, this is an issue for any new version of Windows. Some people can upgrade right away while others should wait. Even Sony said that VAIO devices aren't ready yet, but that didn't stop some people from upgrading. Those who have downgraded, maybe you guys should wait for the October update and try again.

I'm most likely going to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1. My thoughts on why is simply because of the Privacy Violations. What I do with my computer, is my own damn business. Microsoft has ZERO rights to tell me what I can, and cannot do. I'm sorry, but I live in America, we've got the right to do whatever we want (to an extent).

As for the DX12 comment, give me a list of games that actually run DX12. None of the games I play, even use DX11 (AFAIK). In reality, all Microsoft is doing is trading one evil for another. If you run W10, you're giving up x rights, for y opportunities.

A couple thoughts:

MS isn't telling you what you can or cannot do. Nonetheless, they are collecting data and they have completely transparent about it. It was your decision to agree to the EULA.  It is their software, not yours and you agreed to their terms. Your location doesn't change that, unless they are breaking the law. In which case, it is still their software.  I understand that you want to go back for these reasons, but Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 is doing a lot of the same, they were just less transparent about it back then.

I do know that the tech previews, my 770m Nvidia card and old games ran without lag. but the RTM version of 10 did something that I couldn't run my favorites. I don't buy new games for personal reasons but in the tech previews of 10, all my old games worked 100% flawlessly. but when RTM hit the market, that changed. How I found out about this issue was because my wife plays left 4 dead 2 on steam. She told me that her friends upgraded to Windows 10 and then couldn't get left 4 dead 2 to work. So her friends went back to Windows 8.1 or 7.

The directx12 stack was supposed to give Dx11 cards a boost but not with the directx12 advances,

I'm about one step away from downgrading at least one system...... WU keeps installing drivers that are a few versions older then the ones the device mfg supplies..... and after installing the vendor drivers WU comes back saying it found newer ones that are older... I know there is the whole hide update program and you can turn driver installs off, but this whole forced update for professional users does annoy me... home edition yeah go for it, but a workstation OS like professional give us a choice of what gets done and when right in the main UI...

• Like 3

A couple thoughts:

MS isn't telling you what you can or cannot do. Nonetheless, they are collecting data and they have completely transparent about it. It was your decision to agree to the EULA.  It is their software, not yours and you agreed to their terms. Your location doesn't change that, unless they are breaking the law. In which case, it is still their software.  I understand that you want to go back for these reasons, but Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 is doing a lot of the same, they were just less transparent about it back then.

It might be their software, but they do not own your data. It's a production OS and they shouldn't be sending the contents of people's private files back to HQ, and it's not being made explicit enough that they're doing that. I've disabled their spyware on my PC, thankfully it's not hard to do.

I'm about one step away from downgrading at least one system...... WU keeps installing drivers that are a few versions older then the ones the device mfg supplies..... and after installing the vendor drivers WU comes back saying it found newer ones that are older... I know there is the whole hide update program and you can turn driver installs off, but this whole forced update for professional users does annoy me... home edition yeah go for it, but a workstation OS like professional give us a choice of what gets done and when right in the main UI...

I bolded the text that I know from experience. Home edition has two options: A. automatically install or B. restart.

this is what I should be able to choose:

34qu5qs.png

So I now can be sure I don't inadvertantly update a driver without checking versions. or if MS accidentally releases an update that messes up an install.

It might be their software, but they do not own your data. It's a production OS and they shouldn't be sending the contents of people's private files back to HQ, and it's not being made explicit enough that they're doing that. I've disabled their spyware on my PC, thankfully it's not hard to do.

Their spyware...you agreed to it in the first place, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to disable it.

To me it just doesn't feel like a finished product. Lack of drivers and lack of polished.

Lack of drivers?

It can use drivers all the way back to Windows 7. If anything, this OS has the most drivers out there.

I have chosen to go back to Windows 7 and 8.1 on all my machines mostly because of the following reasons:

1. forced drivers updates - Windows Update keeps installing generic/wrong drivers and that has a huge performance impact. I have had to reinstall the correct drivers every 2-3 days otherwise the GPU or Wifi would stop working. If they really like to force updates at least they should keep drivers separate and let the users choose if they want to install them or not.  I can live with frequent forced updates to the operating system itself or it's apps (specially given the current state of the OS) but killing the video card every couple of days is really anoying.

2. privacy issues - too much private data is being collected for unknown reasons and no real way to turn this off. They should be more open about what data they are gathering, what they are doing with it and what's being sent to those "certain third party partners".  Just calling it "telemetry" without any real info is not enough. I guess this is something only a class action suit or some really big fines will solve (the European Comision will have a field day with this in the next 1-2 years)

Too bad for them, I was starting to like the new OS (specially after they fixed most of the really bad bugs with the latest cumulative updates) but until they get their act together I'm going to stay with the old and tested.

as for the telemetry Using Windows 10? Microsoft Is Watching.

in regards to John alex's comment.  I never knew this.

More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.

To me it just doesn't feel like a finished product. Lack of drivers and lack of polished.

Not so sure about the lack of drivers (I haven't been affected by that) ... but I definitely agree with it being unpolished. The Microsoft operating systems post Windows 7 has been like a revolving beta program.  

I haven't reverted back to earlier operating systems though I did "unreserve" Windows 10 from my desktop, HTPC and notebook...I'll be keeping them on Windows 7 for the time being.  My secondary notebook is running 10 (it came with 8) and I do not plan on reverting it.  I like 10 better than 8x .... but it still doesn't give me the "warm fuzzy" that 7 does...as you said it just seems unfinished/unpolished.  

Anyway, before July of next year I'm sure I'll update my desktop (for DirectX 12)...highly doubt (at this point) that I'll update my primary notebook or HTPC (see no real reason to...they do exactly what I want them to do).

A lot of vendors still support windows 7 and I have grabbed all mine for safe keeping. I plan on buying an NAS and keeping those drivers.

Question: is there a location on a website of MS's to download updates and the SP1? I want to save updates, the major ones atleast and collect as many updates as possible on my own

A lot of vendors still support windows 7 and I have grabbed all mine for safe keeping. I plan on buying an NAS and keeping those drivers.

Question: is there a location on a website of MS's to download updates and the SP1? I want to save updates, the major ones atleast and collect as many updates as possible on my own

You can use autopatcher to do that. That tool downloads the selected patches/updates/etc. from Microsoft and you can select and install them in one go or back them up for later use.

http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/