Teen girl Michelle Carter's texts blamed for suicide of friend Conrad Roy, 18

Teen girl Michelle Carter's texts blamed for suicide of friend Conrad Roy, 18

August 25, 2015 - 2:21PM

A teenager in the United States is facing manslaughter charges for allegedly encouraging an 18-year-old friend by text message to take his own life.

Michelle Carter, now 18, has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in relation to the death of Conrad Roy in Massachusetts last year, reports by US-based media outlets say.

Carter, who was 17 at the time, was alleged to have encouraged Roy to take his own life by sending him a series of text messages including some that implied he would be happier once dead.

Roy was later found dead  in a vehicle in a parking lot in Fairhaven on July 13, 2014.

Carter met Roy in 2012 and formed an online relationship via the internet and mobile phone communication.

An indictment issued by a Bristol County Grand Jury alleges that between July 6 and July 12, Carter assisted Roy to take his own life via dozens of messages.

Read Further

The worse part is that she was acting all surprise when he had passed away, as if she did not know what he was going through. It's pretty sickening, something is not right in her head.

As tragic as the loss of life is and the poor character of the girl notwithstanding, I don't buy it. If someone tells you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it? If all it took was someone texting the young man to get him to end his life, he obviously had depression issues, which were apparently not being addressed adequately by himself or his family.

The girl is now simply being used as a convenient scapegoat. Not to be heartless, but Mr. Roy was 18 years old. He made his own choice. I'd be very surprised by a conviction in this case.

As tragic as the loss of life is and the poor character of the girl, I don't buy it. If someone tells you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it? If all it took was someone texting the young man to get him to end his life, he obviously had depression issues, which were apparently not being addressed adequately by himself or his family.

The girl is now simply being used as a convenient scapegoat. Not to be heartless, but Mr. Roy was 18 years old. He made his own choice. I'd be very surprised by a conviction in this case.

Did you even read the article? Look at the long, detailed, exchange of messages between the two.

As tragic as the loss of life is and the poor character of the girl notwithstanding, I don't buy it. If someone tells you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it? If all it took was someone texting the young man to get him to end his life, he obviously had depression issues, which were apparently not being addressed adequately by himself or his family.

Never mind what was wrong with the boy psychologically. WTF was wrong with this girl? It was like she was anxious for him to kill himself and was disappointed when he didn't go through with it on several occasions.

this reminds me of this one suicide attempt where this guy was going to jump off a building. The police had someone trying to talk him down so he would not jump. All while that was going on someone was playing on their speakers loudly the Van Halen song "Jump". They arrested the guy who was playing the music.

Clearly this teen wasn't mentally stable, asking mentally stable people if they would do it is missing that point. Im guessing they are charging her under complicity laws. 

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/complicity/

With the intent to promote or assist the commission of the offense:

1. a person procures, induces or causes such other person to commit the offense; or

2. a person aids or abets such other person in committing the offense

More info on the case

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150822/NEWS/150829806

After she allegedly goaded Conrad Roy into committing suicide earlier this year, Michelle Carter sent text messages to the youth’s family, asking if they knew where he was.This according to court documents contained in Bristol County prosecutors’ 42-page rebuttal to Carter’s defense attorney, Joseph P. Cataldo, who is seeking to dismiss an involuntary manslaughter charge against Carter.The motion to dismiss will be heard at 9 a.m. Monday in New Bedford Juvenile Court — Carter was 17 at the time of the Roy suicide, and is now 18. 

Edited by mudslag

Did you even read the article? Look at the long, detailed, exchange of messages between the two.

CARTER: So I guess you aren't gonna do it then. All that for nothing. I'm just confused. Like you were so ready and determined.

ROY: I am gonna eventually. I really don't know what I'm waiting for but I have everything lined up.

CARTER: No, you're not, Conrad. Last night was it. You kept pushing it off and you say you'll do it, but you never do. It's always gonna be that way if you don't take action. You're just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off. You just have to do it. Do you want to do it now?

ROY: Is it too late? I don't know. It's already light outside. I'm gonna go back too sleep. Love you. I'll text you tomorrow.

CARTER: No. It's probably the best time now because everyone is sleeping. Just go somewhere in your truck and no one is really out there right now because it's an awkward time. If you don't do it now you're never gonna do it, and you can say you'll do it tomorrow, but you probably won't. Tonight? Love you.

ROY: Thank you.

Pretty sick stuff. 

Pretty sick stuff. 

The real sick stuff imo is that she texted the family to know what happened when she very well knew what just happened. To me it sounds like the kind of things a psychopath would do.

As tragic as the loss of life is and the poor character of the girl notwithstanding, I don't buy it. If someone tells you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it?

I can identify one point in my life where it looked like the best solution.  All it would have taken was a few nudges - not telling me to do it but that it would have been the best solution, and yeah.

That's depression for ya! 

She has an enormous forehead, but not a smart brain.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was fairly smart.

the poor character of the girl 

Seems pretty obvious that she is suffering from a personality disorder. Not that that necessarily excuses her actions. But it can provide some explanatory value at least. She needs just as much treatment as the poor guy who died did.

I'm confused and sickened at the same time. The confusion is how she convinced him to suicide, unless she knew and exploited his weakness/depression/whatever, and if that is the case, which is kind of what I am getting from the article, then this psycho b needs to be put away somewhere where she can not hurt anybody ever again. I'm sickened by the fact that after she knew what he was going to do, she plays the concerned gf and sends a text to his family asking them if they know where he is.  

The girl is a sociopath. There's no way anyone who loves someone would want them to commit suicide to be "happier". It just doesn't work like that for normal people. Suicide makes no one happier.

I guess you're not very experienced with people suffering from depression?  Believe me, it can leave you extremely impressionable. So much so that it would be easy for someone who knows it to get you to do literally anything, including suicide.

I guess you're not very experienced with people suffering from depression?  Believe me, it can leave you extremely impressionable. So much so that it would be easy for someone who knows it to get you to do literally anything, including suicide.

Pretty much.  And when you have someone who you believe loves you and care for you validating what you are thinking of doing and encouraging it, just makes the situation worse.

The girl is messed up and should be held as an example.  All she had to do is contact the parents and let them know what is going on and maybe the kid will be alive today.  Pretty ######ed up to do something like this.  Funny the pics on the source link first shows here with a I don't care smirk on her face and the second pic is of her being concerned for what will happen to her.  The woman is nutts.