I'm now on Android, need some tips for launcher lockscreen etc

@Redmak has loaned me his old HTC One M7 that is rooted and on Android 5.0.2 but I am still looking for one or two things that I miss from WP 8.1

Using Sense launcher atm but do have Nova launcher installed.

• Would like an animated weather lockscreen (clock/date/temp animated wall showing the type of weather it is)
  • Found an animated "live" weather home screen wallpaper, but it requires me to still use the default HTC clock/weather widget
  • Is there a glance type thing I can use? The screen is simply black when connected to USB, but I know there are unread notifications (which don't show, when they could).

Any other cool things, not had an Android phone since 2008 (HTC Desire). :p Then had two iPhones, and 3 Windows Phones since. This is helping me decide which new phone to buy in the fall (Oct-Dec time).

I'm using Transparent Weather app on my Moto G 4G, it's not bad, (I miss the old Symbian weather app)
I cannot find any lock screen weather apps for this phone (might be because of how limited the hardware is compared to modern phones) I know Samsmug and HTC do have that option and recognise that your loaner is rooted, so that's out,
BUT I did install Z launcher, and I believe it does have a lock screen weather app, but it is very basic, (maybe it'll do?)

As for the other 'cool things' That really depends on the type of person you are, and what it is you're looking for from a smartphone (I'm slowly losing the will to live regarding so called smartphones now, as it's all Apple, Android, or Windows, and am thinking of going back to using regular mobile phones instead)

• Steven P. changed the title to I'm now on Android, need some tips for launcher lockscreen etc

Here are my favorites that I use all the time on my android devices.

Nova launcher - this will allow you to make some changes as the way you like... such as hide dock, 4x4 or 5x5, etc..  and other options...  I know you have it installed but this is recommend suggestion for anyone else who visit this tread. :)

widget locker - this will allow you to add anything you like such as weather, custom clock, shortcuts, on the lockscreen.

Titanium Backup - back your data up

Nova launcher is the only launcher you should use.

If you're willing to jump the gun, install CyanogenMod. It's a very snappy rom that's simple to use. But before you even try installing it, make sure you have a custom recovery and make a nandroid backup.

Nova Launcher is really cool! I also use Microsoft's Next lockscreen, it's fairly new:

Next Lock Screen, a Microsoft Garage project, is a time-saving locker for busy professionals. Looking for a way to lock your phone but still have quick access to your apps? Next Lock Screen shows you important notifications at a glance and gives you app shortcuts right on your screen, all while keeping your Android lock screen beautiful and organized your way.

Unlock Less: Cut down on the number of times you need to unlock your phone with notifications and updates at a glance.
- Calendar: Quickly scan your upcoming events, complete with time and location.
- Email & Messaging: See emails, texts, and messages from other apps such as Facebook, Skype, Viber, Google Hangouts, WeChat, and Line.
- Weather: Check the local weather with automatic updates.

This might be what you're looking for?

Steven, here is my screenshot of my lockscreen, in case you were wondering what it looks like...  which I have apps I mentioned above:

Screenshot_2015-08-29-22-11-45a.thumb.pn

You can put animated weather there if you want. Mine doesn't animate because I didn't want it to ...

Here are my favorites that I use all the time on my android devices.

Nova launcher - this will allow you to make some changes as the way you like... such as hide dock, 4x4 or 5x5, etc..  and other options...  I know you have it installed but this is recommend suggestion for anyone else who visit this tread. :)

widget locker - this will allow you to add anything you like such as weather, custom clock, shortcuts, on the lockscreen.

Titanium Backup - back your data up

Agreed on Titanium Backup (it's what I have on my Lenovo tablet) - it's tag-teamed with Online Nandroid Backup (because it can snag some stuff that even Titanium Backup misses); I do the backups back2back.

For a launcher, I use Google Now Launcher (specifically, the leak from Marshmallow), which replaced the VibeUI Launcher that is standard on Lenovo tablets and phones.  An alternative launcher for Windows fans is WP Launcher (which is a Windows Phone 8.x-style launcher for Android).

Virtual Assistant - Right now, Google Now and Cortana are having a showdown.  I use Cortana where GN is unworkable (because Cortana supports typed-in entry, which Google Now, oddly enough, STILL doesn't support; the reason it's odd because all other Google services in Android DO support typed entry).  Unless Google Now adds support for typed input, I'll stick with Cortana (which WILL work with the GN Launcher).

Steven, here is my screenshot of my lockscreen, in case you were wondering what it looks like...  which I have apps I mentioned above:

Screenshot_2015-08-29-22-11-45a.thumb.pn

You can put animated weather there if you want. Mine doesn't animate because I didn't want it to ...

Exactly what I was looking for cheers man, does it also allow for notifications to display such as emails?

I tried Next lock screen, but it behaves a bit weird. The lockscreen will sort of "activate' in a very dim view, which requires you to press the button to show the actual lockscreen which then updates with the new notifications. I didn't like it. 

Exactly what I was looking for cheers man, does it also allow for notifications to display such as emails?

I tried Next lock screen, but it behaves a bit weird. The lockscreen will sort of "activate' in a very dim view, which requires you to press the button to show the actual lockscreen which then updates with the new notifications. I didn't like it. 

Yes, you can add anything you want to the lockscreen, such as email, weather, shortcuts... however you like.

@TAZMINATOR it costs $2.99 and seems to have a few issues here and there with Android 5. don't really want to buy something I might not use :p

You will like it,  Trust me.  I have no issues with it.  If you have issues, then you can refund it.  I think you have 2 hours to play before the refund window ends.

If not happy with it, you get your money back.

If you want free, google for free widgetlocker alternative. I heard about Go Locker, it's free.

Agreed on Titanium Backup (it's what I have on my Lenovo tablet) - it's tag-teamed with Online Nandroid Backup (because it can snag some stuff that even Titanium Backup misses); I do the backups back2back.

For a launcher, I use Google Now Launcher (specifically, the leak from Marshmallow), which replaced the VibeUI Launcher that is standard on Lenovo tablets and phones.  An alternative launcher for Windows fans is WP Launcher (which is a Windows Phone 8.x-style launcher for Android).

Virtual Assistant - Right now, Google Now and Cortana are having a showdown.  I use Cortana where GN is unworkable (because Cortana supports typed-in entry, which Google Now, oddly enough, STILL doesn't support; the reason it's odd because all other Google services in Android DO support typed entry).  Unless Google Now adds support for typed input, I'll stick with Cortana (which WILL work with the GN Launcher).

I have TB and no problems with mine ...  I can't reproduce the issues you have on my end. TB never miss my data... I mean, app data, apps, pics, videos, etc. When I wipe and start fresh, I restored from TB and boom, everything is back where it was before....  no problems.

For launcher I've tried most of them, I've used Nova for a long time, but now I use KK Launcher, which is a lot like Nova but, slightly better. I've also tried MS new launcher and I kinda like it, but for now it's not for me. 

When it comes to lock screen I wouldn't bother, I like MS Next lock screen, even though it slides the wrong way. the problem is Android handling of this is terrible. even if you use a third party lock screen the android lock screen runs underneath, and sometimes it will just display that one instead, other times it will first show your third party lock screen then the android one. other times it just won't unlock and you need to turn off the screen again. it's a terrible mess that's not worth bothering with no matter how good the alternative lock screen is. probably why there's so few of them. 

Also for weather, you could also try Weather Now. it's pretty good allowing you to set any background picture you want and will have animated sun and moon(you can turn all weather effects including sun and moon off indiivdually). and has options to tint you wallpaper based on time of day as well as season. among other cool features. 

For launcher I've tried most of them, I've used Nova for a long time, but now I use KK Launcher, which is a lot like Nova but, slightly better

Please elaborate how it's better?  I am always open to switching :)

Also go into the security settings and turn on the smart lock/smart unlock or whatever it's called. there you can have a geofence around your home where the phone won't lock. set trusted devices it's connected to that prevents it from locking(like car stereo and such) and even face unlock and setting that keeps it open as long as it's in "contact" with you. 

Please elaborate how it's better?  I am always open to switching :)

I dunno. it just feels better when using it, and it has some more features you don't get in Nova, easiest is to just try it. 

and somewhat not that important but still nice, it has more and better transition effects. 

Also go into the security settings and turn on the smart lock/smart unlock or whatever it's called. there you can have a geofence around your home where the phone won't lock. set trusted devices it's connected to that prevents it from locking(like car stereo and such) and even face unlock and setting that keeps it open as long as it's in "contact" with you. 

Yeah but friends can look it up while you go to bathroom...  and your girlfriend look it up while you are asleep...   i am not that stupid... I don't want geofence crap.

It's a nice feature for single person who lives alone.

I keep my devices locked no matter anyone is home with me or not. 

Yeah but friends can look it up while you go to bathroom...  and your girlfriend look it up while you are asleep...   i am not that stupid... I don't want geofence crap.

It's a nice feature for single person who lives alone.

I keep my devices locked no matter anyone is home with me or not. 

You can force lock it if you have friends. and if you are afraid your GF will look at your phone. you may consider looking for a new one cause that's a poisoned relationship already, also you don't have to use the geofence at all. 

You can force lock it if you have friends. and if you are afraid your GF will look at your phone. you may consider looking for a new one cause that's a poisoned relationship already, also you don't have to use the geofence at all. 

I am not afraid of gf to look it up but I don't want her to think I am cheating on her...   I mean I have friends that are female.... she has friends that are male... what's the difference?  I don't care if she's talking to anyone on her phone as long as she's with me. I talk to ladies as friends but she sees girl names in the messages thinking that i am about to leave her for someone else.. you know?

If she likes someone else better than me...  I don't care... she can move out/go out with him.