Windows 10 won't activate

So I've been using Win 10 as an Insider since it first came out.  Upgraded from a Win 8 PC.  I decided an SSD would be a nice upgrade and also a nice time to do a fresh install since I haven't since the PC was new (all upgrades).  So I installed from a USB and Windows won't activate.  I chatted with MS tech support and they say the only was to get it to activate is to install Win 7 or 8 on the PC and then upgrade it to 10.  Is this accurate?  I don't even have the media to install it on the PC (HP Envy desktop).  I think it used a recovery partition.  I still have the old drive I can boot into if I want.  Can I get a key off of that?

If you boot to your old hard drive, you should be able to extract the product key from that install (using any number of keyfinder applications), then use that key to first install Windows 8, then Windows 10.  The media can be obtained from numerous sources.

The research I've done on this recently says it should activate automatically if you're just changing a hard drive.

Only major changes like the motherboard or cpu require a fresh install from 7/8.

In theory anyways.

the tech stated the same thing to me as well and even in store. any hardware changes effects the activation id of the install for that device x.x thats also in their disclaimer it covers the device that is upgraded...

OK, I found an ISO of Windows 8 so if it's true the key is in the UEFI BIOS it should install and activate and then I'll upgrade to 10.  It seems like a hell of a roundabout way but...

Oh, and thanks for the trust, xendrome:shiftyninja::D

Edit: Great.  Now I can't get it to boot from USB.  When I turn it on it takes about 5 seconds before it's at the login screen (about as long as my monitor takes to wake up from sleep).

Well, I ran the Windows 8 setup from within Windows 10.  Lo and behold it installed 8 and it was activated.  From there I had to do the Windows upgrade to 10 and now I have an activated copy of 10.  It's a very roundabout way, but it worked.

I did have one problem (if anyone finds this thread looking for answers).  When Windows 10 installed and rebooted it kept the monitor asleep.  I assumed it was installing drivers and such as midway through the WiFi light popped on.  After there was no more HDD blinking it just sat there.  I grudgingly turned it off by holding the power button down until it shut down and when I turned it back on again everything was fine and it completed the install.  Had me worried there for a bit but it worked.

I did have one problem (if anyone finds this thread looking for answers).  When Windows 10 installed and rebooted it kept the monitor asleep.  I assumed it was installing drivers and such as midway through the WiFi light popped on.  After there was no more HDD blinking it just sat there.  I grudgingly turned it off by holding the power button down until it shut down and when I turned it back on again everything was fine and it completed the install.  Had me worried there for a bit but it worked.

I've been having this same problem with every build of Windows 10 since day 1 of the Insider program, and before.  Anytime I install a new build, my monitor will go dark after the installation completes, and the only way i can get it to come back on is to disconnect / reconnect my dvi cable from the video card.  And, even after the newer builds are installed and running otherwise as expected, I still have to reconnect the dvi cable anytime i do a restart.