10532 now fails to install, does win10 update process ever work?

well it gets worse.

build 10532 available.
it downloads.
it does its preparation.
it reboots

Then the update screen appears, its the same screen as when updating from windows 7, so the feature updates = upgrade entire OS again including reinstalling drivers, so that bugged out process is repeated on feature updates.

Well I was watching it on the copying files stage, then at about 30% the system just rebooted, after it booted again, it said "restoring previous version of windows".

So it failed but I have absolutely no idea why, because the whole process is dumbed down with no reason given to the end user.

To try again i have to redownload the entire update as well, nothing cached.

I couldn't even get it to show the update was available on my (32-bit) tablet.  I had to download an esd and convert it to an iso to update.  My (64-bit) desktop updated just fine, though.

I might try the same, windows 10 has been a real mess for me. Seems way too buggy to be out there in the wild.

Also every attempt I had to redownload it as well, its a good job I have fast internet.

Chrysalis, have you tweaked or made changes in the registry with your previous builds, or are there some other issues with your machine that you've noticed before when running other OSes?  I've never had one single issue, and it seems like you are plagued with them.

• Like 2

I might try the same, windows 10 has been a real mess for me. Seems way too buggy to be out there in the wild.

Also every attempt I had to redownload it as well, its a good job I have fast internet.

You are downloading Insider Builds, what do you expect. I can't get my head around it, people download Insider Builds full of not finished code and then complain, whyyyyyyyy, do you not understand what Insider Builds are?

Jus stick to Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 10240 if you can't handle bugs.

Other than that, Windows 10 has been amazing for me, for one setup it can be fine, for another it can be a mess. Don't install Insider Builds if you can't handle bugs.

• Like 2

I expect minor bugs, not major ones that prevent installation.

The hardware is fine,, I know its tempting to blame it, but this hardware has been used for a variety of things on different operating systems and only windows 10 has problems, also not to mention there is many similar issues reported on the net, issues with my dad;s pc upgrading to win10 from win7 and more examples, windows 10 to be blunt is probably the most buggy OS microsoft have released in recent times.

Now with that aside the spec of the machine is very mainstream.

No soundcard
Intel i5 750 on a p55 chipset
All 3rd party stuff on motherboard disabled, so no 3rd party usb/ide/raid
Intel controller in ahci mode
samsung 830 ssd is the windows device
3 other hdd's in the machine which were added 'after' windows 7 was installed (and windows 10 upgrade).
nvidia gtx 460 is the gpu
16 gig of corsair ddr 3 1333 fsb ram
intel pci-e CT gigabit ethernet adaptor
nothing is overclocked
devices all clean in device manager.

Why dont microsoft report the exact technical reason instead of silently rebooting the machine and restoring the previous build leaving people like myself at a loss why their software failed.

rather than me not handling bugs maybe its you who cannot handle bad feedback? I am not allowed to post the issue and see if anyone has the solution?

last time I ignored it and stayed on an old build remember people then blasted me for been on an old build.

regards to registry tweaking, on this installation the only thing I adjusted was the sub menu display time, and to display windows version on the desktop.

At this point (and I am not necessarily recommending this, this is just what I would do) I would move my files to a backup folder, "burn" the 10532 iso to a usb drive, and do a clean install (not necessarily formatting the drive, that way you can pull your appdata out of the Windows.old folder afterwards, and it's much faster to move any backup files back if they are on the same drive than copying from separate drives).

Just a suggestion, from the command prompt, probably need to be admin, type "SFC /ScanNow" and let it do it's thing, see if it finds anything, reboot and then try to upgrade again. 

I expect minor bugs, not major ones that prevent installation.

The hardware is fine,, I know its tempting to blame it, but this hardware has been used for a variety of things on different operating systems and only windows 10 has problems, also not to mention there is many similar issues reported on the net, issues with my dad;s pc upgrading to win10 from win7 and more examples, windows 10 to be blunt is probably the most buggy OS microsoft have released in recent times.

Well you know, it only installed fine on some over 5 million computers. I'm sure it couldn't be somethign else ;)

a lot of software and/or drivers can cause issues int he upgrade process if you choose to keep old apps and drivers. I'm just not sure why you insist on staying with insider builds though. 

• Like 1

Well an update report, a guy with the same issue (but in his case trying to upgrade to win10 from win7), said he googled someone removing hidden volume devices to fix it, so I tried that, I had over 15 hidden generc volume's in device manager, it didnt fix it but the fail point moved to 58%, interesting.  I then removed some hidden sound devices in device manager which said it couldnt detect them on the system, the fail point is now at 55% copying files.

Lots of issues here.

1 - the install process for devices is broken on win10, has happened to too many people.  It worked on win7/8 so not sure what microsoft have changed to break it, possibly that win7 would ignore issues and proceed with install and you would then have to fix manually after install.
2 - the upgrade process to a new win10 build repeats the entire process, why? the OS is already installed, this has a lot of issues, such as the one I am having, but also if someone has spent the time manually fixing drivers, I assume those changes would be undone with the update that refreshes all devices drivers.
3 - why is the installer lying about copying files when its really setting up devices?

So given I have moved the fail point I am guessing this is some kind of device driver issue.

Regarding you guys claiming its fine, its clearly not, do some googling, check with people you know who try to install it.  This isnt limited to a few people.  There is people who cannot even upgrade to RTM from win7/8 with these issues as well so isnt limited to inssider builds.

Just a suggestion, from the command prompt, probably need to be admin, type "SFC /ScanNow" and let it do it's thing, see if it finds anything, reboot and then try to upgrade again. 

thanks man, will do a chkdsk and sfc command and see if it fixes anything.

Nothing needs backing up this machine is purely used for testing and playing around with the OS, so there is no personal files, games etc.

done

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I checked the log and this seems the only file it couldnt repair.
2015-09-02 15:29:15, Info                  CSI    00001c01 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:142{71},l:140{70}]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets"\[l:106{53}]"MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.scale-125_contrast-white.png"; source file in store is also corrupted.

There was other files but they look like they were repaired.  I find this odd was corrupted files at all, as the ssd is in fine working order.  Makes me suspect all these failed upgrades with an OS restore might have corrupted the files, but will now try another update and see what happens.

If this fails I will do a image backup and try to install 10532 from the iso cleanly.

Also the bad sound devices have been automatically readded.

In device manager under sound hidden Microsoft Streaming devices.

Edited by Chrysalis
adding info

Well you know, it only installed fine on some over 5 million computers. I'm sure it couldn't be somethign else ;)

a lot of software and/or drivers can cause issues int he upgrade process if you choose to keep old apps and drivers. I'm just not sure why you insist on staying with insider builds though. 

Because I want to test new features? and also report problems like this to microsoft (which I have done).

Just because it works on some machines it doesnt mean there is no issue in the process.  Its like a software developer saying "well my software works fine on 100 machines so the 20 it fails on must mean an issue with those machines".

End of the day in the real world people will have machines that are not perfect, lots of 3rd party, custom registry changes.,faulty device drivers etc.  If microsoft want a system that forcefully updates everyone's builds to the newest for features, they have to make it work in all these circumstances, my machine is pretty much at stock so it doesnt bode well.

Because I want to test new features? and also report problems like this to microsoft (which I have done).

Just because it works on some machines it doesnt mean there is no issue in the process.  Its like a software developer saying "well my software works fine on 100 machines so the 20 it fails on must mean an issue with those machines".

End of the day in the real world people will have machines that are not perfect, lots of 3rd party, custom registry changes.,faulty device drivers etc.  If microsoft want a system that forcefully updates everyone's builds to the newest for features, they have to make it work in all these circumstances, my machine is pretty much at stock so it doesnt bode well.

Yep. Your right. No release is going to be bug free. There will always be some machines that will have problems. Microsoft probably has a percentage number that their shooting for but if they waited until all the bugs were out, there wouldn't be any updates.

That said, to the people that have been having problems it IS a buggy update. You can tell them that 90% of the people are not having problems but to them it doesn't matter. All we can do is give helpful suggestions.

thanks man, will do a chkdsk and sfc command and see if it fixes anything.

Nothing needs backing up this machine is purely used for testing and playing around with the OS, so there is no personal files, games etc.

done

I checked the log and this seems the only file it couldnt repair.
2015-09-02 15:29:15, Info                  CSI    00001c01 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:142{71},l:140{70}]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets"\[l:106{53}]"MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.scale-125_contrast-white.png"; source file in store is also corrupted.

There was other files but they look like they were repaired.  I find this odd was corrupted files at all, as the ssd is in fine working order.  Makes me suspect all these failed upgrades with an OS restore might have corrupted the files, but will now try another update and see what happens.

If this fails I will do a image backup and try to install 10532 from the iso cleanly.

Also the bad sound devices have been automatically readded.

In device manager under sound hidden Microsoft Streaming devices.

Let us know how it goes, with that type or error it looks like it's due to corrupt files but don't ask me how it happens or why, maybe converting from ESD to ISO for some goes wrong?  Maybe in the update process for some, for some reason, something gets borked?  I don't know exactly, but since it found some and looks to have fixed what it could, I think that was your issue all along.

Obviously with the corrupt files I had to reinstall, I thought I would use the microsoft method which is to reset the system using the built in option, I chose to not keep any files on the OS drive so a full reset.

After the OS reinstalled, I proceeded to enable insider builds and did the reset, but now a new problem.

It says there is a problem with my microsoft account, it seems I have the same issue as detailed here.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/8014-my-ms-account-needs-attention-again-2.html

The fix me button just turns off insider builds. Also I did verify the account. If I login to the insider site it says welcome back, so the account is fine.

also here these guys got same issue but no resolution :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3c8brb/cant_get_insider_builds_fix_me/

done another sfc and the exact same file is corrupt and not repairable, the file is just a logo file for microsoft edge tho, but given its the exact same file it would seem the microsoft method is not a proper clean install.

Edited by Chrysalis

Is there an option in the BIOS to turn on "Data Execution Prevention" or "CPU Xd Support"? I had to do this to get 10130 to work when I had the same issue you describe here.

there is and its enabled.

Cpu is configured as it should be in bios, I went through it yesterday.

Going to run the 10532 iso I made and see what happens when I try to upgrade to it.  If it fails or the upgrade doesnt work correctly I will make a new 10240 iso and try this again.