Help with windows 10

So i just built a gaming pc a few weeks back,and it didnt work out.I sent it back so they can build it,and they did.However,they put in a pirated version of windows 7,so i was wondering if i could UPGRADE and not FORMAT my hard disk,to a LEGAL version of Windows 10 that i will legally buy from amazon.

Hello,

You cannot use the Windows 10 Upgrade to make a pirate version of Windows 7 into a legal version of Windows 10.  It will still show up as unlicensed after the upgrade.  It would be best to purchase a full legal version of Windows 10, and perform a clean install of that.

Also, you might want to consider reporting the business that sold you the pirated version of Microsoft Windows 7 to Microsoft.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I already purchased windows 10 on amazon.It's fully legal,it's just that i have an incredibly slow internet speed and do not want to download all my games again.I want to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 not for free from the little message at the bottom,but by a windows 10 flash drive that i bought from amazon.Can I Upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 fully legal version might i say,without losing my stuff?

First off, who is "They"? 
If this story is true...

Phone MS support, they'll ask for proof of receipt, but then should be able to walk you through the process. Then you can report 'them' who ever they are for flogging you a pirate version.

:rolleyes:

I live in lebanon,and i got from ''them'',as they are a pretty small company.Piracy is rampent here in lebanon,you can find pirated game disks,movies,programs for like 1$ and OS's cost 5$ in low cost stores.Piracy is not uncommon here,so i doubt Microsoft will fly to lebanon and shut down everyone of these stores.Microsoft can't do anything about it.I can't phone them as well as i live in lebanon.

You think maybe that might have been a crucial point in your first post?

Have you tried simply putting the disk in and performing an install over the top of the pirate version?

"Your stuff" is largely independent of the OS install... mostly in the Libraries and the hidden AppData directory. Copying those files to another drive, installing and activating Windows fresh on it, then copying over your stuff to the same directories will port most of it over without too much work.

Zagadka,so  you mean that i can copy my files and programs to an external hard drive,do a fresh install,and then copying them would work?Will it take alot of time?

Are your games mostly with Steam? If so you can export backups of them to an external driver or whatever, then import them back in.

Also, while I won't tell you how on a public forum, there are ways up upgrade a pirated 7/8 into an "authentic" 10, but I would use that as a LAST CASE. You are far FAR better off backing up your apps and games, and doing a clean install. If they installed a pirated version, there may be other issues with it. Clean is best, always.

Not a lot of time, you just have to know what to copy.

Some data will be lost. First, download installers for all the programs you use, just makes things easier and serves as a check list. Copy over all of your Libraries (Pictures, Documents, Music, Video, Downloads, etc). Unhide invisible folders and copy over ProgramData (which includes the Local, Roaming, etc folders) and, to be safe, the entire AppData folder from /Users/<your account> ... those steps should copy more or less everything you have, though anything you use, make sure it is copied over. Alternately, you can just copy over the entire Users folder, but I find it better to go step by step so you don't miss anything.

After installing, moving the stuff back isn't too hard and most things will still work (some won't transfer app settings, but you shouldn't lose the data). None of this is a guarantee, but IMHO you should be backing up that stuff constantly anyway, there shouldn't be major problems if you just need to keep your stuff.