Does Windows 10 makes your laptops or tablets run hotter?

An observation I've made is that my Surface Pro 3 is running hotter in Windows 10.

The device would heat up much faster and the fan would come on much sooner in Windows 10 than in Windows 8.1.

I am wondering if anyone else experiences the same issue in his/her laptops or tablets.

I have the same problem with my Surface Pro 2.  It's also severely killing my battery life.  I used to be able to use my tablet almost all day (for about 9-10hrs) doing moderate work on battery with the power keyboard, but now, i'll lose 10% of my battery life in 15mins with it doing nothing but idling.  There's several processes that consistently use 10% of the CPU cycles (Windows Driver Foundation and System).  I'm not sure why it happens, but it heats up very quickly and causes the fans to run at full speed.  As it stands now, I can barely use it while it's on battery power.

I have the same problem with my Surface Pro 2.  It's also severely killing my battery life.  I used to be able to use my tablet almost all day (for about 9-10hrs) doing moderate work on battery with the power keyboard, but now, i'll lose 10% of my battery life in 15mins with it doing nothing but idling.  There's several processes that consistently use 10% of the CPU cycles (Windows Driver Foundation and System).  I'm not sure why it happens, but it heats up very quickly and causes the fans to run at full speed.  As it stands now, I can barely use it while it's on battery power.

Same problem. Total CPU utilization around 8%. It looks like nothing is going on, but the system is heating up quickly.

I got around 5 hours of battery life in Windows 10 compares to around 7 hours in Windows 8.1.

I always run my laptop like a desktop: always plugged in. But certain games DO make my laptop run quite warm and its noticable. I'm thinking about opening it up and putting in a new spot of thermal paste on the CPU.

An observation I've made is that my Surface Pro 3 is running hotter in Windows 10.

The device would heat up much faster and the fan would come on much sooner in Windows 10 than in Windows 8.1.

I am wondering if anyone else experiences the same issue in his/her laptops or tablets.

It has been posted here around a month back that MS can't fix the bug on the SP 3 and is working with Intel for a fix. It is one of the reasons I am sticking with 8.1 for the time being as I own one as well.

On Windows 7 and 8.1, my notebook ran fairly cool.  Sure, it got hot after extended periods of use in gaming, or playing tons of videos, etc. as one would expect.  But for casual, check email, browse some pages, then-be-done-with-it kind of use, it stayed fairly cool.  But, with windows 10, it will get hot just sitting there.  The fan will kick into high gear anytime I leave it plugged in and am doing nothing.

This was something I noticed pretty much immediately after upgrading.  I'm also wondering if Chrome is causing some of these problems as well, because in task manager, my SP2 may be aroudn 50% CPU usage just sitting there.  If Edge had extension support, I'd try using that.  I haven't tried firefox since I don't want to install it.  I've also noticed that if it starts running hot, rebooting it seems to help, at least temporarily.

If the CPU usage is at 8% and it's getting hot, then it's likely using the Video card processor alot more than it did in 8.1 and prior.
Why, I don't know. It could also be a bug they need to fix.

You can see if this is the case by downloading the lightweight/standalone utility GPUZ, and going to the sensors tab, and the third box should say GPU Load.