Writing GOOD SOPs

Hey Ladies and Gents,

So, here I am, again asking for some good advice and information. For those that don't know, SOP is a military term, Standard Operating Procedure(s). So, I've tasked myself at work of writing SOPs for our procedures. My work had a training instructor, however he isn't very good. It took him almost a year to compile all the information to put into SOPs, but hasn't already. Mind you, he spends 1 - 2 hours a day playing Foosball with his 2 bosses and coworker.

I'm tired of asking how do I do things. It bugs me to have to ask things. We have processes for Failed Hard Drives, How to do an RMA, where to find the information, etc.

I want to create educational, and easily understood documents for new people, and myself. I think its incredibly poor management to not have these types of documents available. When I worked for my old company, we had a document for literally everything. We had documents to setup, join a domain, and login for the first time. You're probably thinking "Shouldn't everyone know this? Especially if they work in a DC?", I thought so too, until the last guy was hired. Anyways, has anyone written these before, and can help me out?

- Data

Yep - good thinking, it'll help you and the people after you. 

Easy way - Create a folder called Procedures and publish a word document for each one. Create yourself a template so they're all consistent, and try to use the same language (ie terms etc) across them all. Presentation is also good. 

Does your work have some sort of help desk\ticket system that allows you to save configs and install notes. Or even better, sharepoint\wiki? You could create one of those and publish your instructions there. 

Sounds like management there sucks.

Yep - good thinking, it'll help you and the people after you. 

Easy way - Create a folder called Procedures and publish a word document for each one. Create yourself a template so they're all consistent, and try to use the same language (ie terms etc) across them all. Presentation is also good. 

Does your work have some sort of help desk\ticket system that allows you to save configs and install notes. Or even better, sharepoint\wiki? You could create one of those and publish your instructions there. 

Sounds like management there sucks.

We have a sharepoint, but I believe it's going away by the end of the year. I work specifically in the DC-IT, and what I'd be writing would be simple things. I love all three of my bosses, DCM, Manager, and my Lead. The person in charge of it, sucks at his job. He's been in this position almost 2 years, and hasn't done squat to qualify him for it. He took 8 hours to train me. That was about 10% of my job, the other 90% i learned by failing (with someone present to correct me), or figuring it out on my own. I'm not trying to take his job, I just want OTHER people to have the things I didn't. Intuit is in the top 10 for employee satisfaction, I want to keep it there. Plus, it looks good when trying to go from Contractor to FTE.