Should OS X be renamed?

OS X -> macOS  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think OS X should be renamed "macOS" to make it more in line with Apple's other OS names?

• Yes
    • No

Apple now has: iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. That leaves OS X, which now runs only on the desktops and laptops. So, do you think a rename is in order, likely to "macOS?"

I think it should be, for three reasons: as noted, OS X is back to only running on the Mac platform. Second, it would harken back to the classic System software, which was known as Mac OS from 1997 on. And lastly, using a lowercase "m" at the beginning would keep the consistency with the other OS that Apple offers.

What OS should the iMac run then? iOS or macOS? ;)

It does have Mac in the name...

There would be a bit of ambiguity, though, but I think the iMac has been around long enough most people wouldn't be too confused.

No, the OS hasn't changed.  When they finally get around to OS 11.0, then it'll be a good time to consider it. A name change now is just silly, straight out of the Microsoft Change-A-Name-A-Day department.

No, the OS hasn't changed.  When they finally get around to OS 11.0, then it'll be a good time to consider it. A name change now is just silly, straight out of the Microsoft Change-A-Name-A-Day department.

yet they change it only 3 years ago from mac os x to just os x....    :(

edit:  why the hell are my post not merging together??

Yeah maybe when it goes from X to XI they will rename to macOS 11 or something.

Something I have been thinking about is will Apple continue to push two primary OS platforms for much longer? I mean tvOS and watchOS are there own thing, almost firmware rather than an OS. But iOS is starting to do more and more what OS X does, it is still a long way off but in 3 or 5 years? Who knows. Perhaps OS X will never make it to XI. Perhaps the next big change will be when Apple works out how it wants to do things in regards to merging touch and OS X.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe when it goes from X to XI they will rename to macOS 11 or something.

Something I have been thinking about is will Apple continue to push two primary OS platforms for much longer? I mean tvOS and watchOS are there own thing, almost firmware rather than an OS. But iOS is starting to do more and more what OS X does, it is still a long way off but in 3 or 5 years? Who knows. Perhaps OS X will never make it to XI. Perhaps the next big change will be when Apple works out how it wants to do things in regards to merging touch and OS X.

The iPad Pro could possibly be the start of bring iOS to the Mac, or OS X to the iPad, depending on how you look at things. Some have suggested the iPad Pro may eventually replace the MacBook Air, which I think is possible. But none of this will be happening anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! I was literally thinking the exact same thing!

I vote yes! That way, the names will be consistent: macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.

I don't really mind too much if Apple sticks with OS X though, either...

It's easier to create branding for a new product (iOS, watchOS, etc) than it is to rename an existing product and established brand (sure, they dropped the "Mac" from "Mac OS X" a few years ago, but OS X is the recognisable part). The amount of work involved to rename it for Apple (from references in the OS to documentation to marketing materials) and third party developers wouldn't be worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...

What they need is a Macbook Pro Class chassis keyboard for the iPad Pro which should be an optional. Then it can consider changing the name for the better. Apple is incredibly crap when it comes to accessory and recently all the latest product design is moving backward with nothing mind blowing. The design team is not good anymore.

Apple dropped the «Mac» prefix with the release of OS X 10.8 in 2012, and I don't think they should reintroduce it. OS X is fine until they go OS XI, OS XII, and so on...

I think they missed their chance with 10.11. It would have been the perfect time to start calling it macOS 11, or Mac OS 11, without introducing mass confusion about naming inconsistency.

The OS X brand isn't actually very strong, I don't think. If you asked most Mac users what OS they use, they might say "Mac OS" or OS X" (pronouncing the X, instead of calling it 10), or even just say "I dunno, but it's not Windows." The branding isn't important, because it's contained within the hardware. This makes two points:

1. It doesn't actually matter what they call it, because 98% of Mac users don't care.
  2. It's silly for them to hold on to the OS X brand, because the 2% that do care are the same Apple users who are annoyed by the inconsistency.

I think they missed their chance with 10.11. It would have been the perfect time to start calling it macOS 11, or Mac OS 11, without introducing mass confusion about naming inconsistency.

It would probably still be macOS v10.11 in that case.

. . .why, whats wrong with just OS X.  As a Mac user since 1987 really cannot see a reason for anything other than OS X. . .:)

Naming consistency across the board as clearly explained in the first pos. On top of that nobody said there's anything particularly wrong. Except for the fact most people call it OS Ex instead of OS Ten.