Desktop Shell Replacement

Question

Hi,

I remember there being some replacements for Windows UI, or in other words the shell. This was back from the XP days of course.

I was wondering if there is anything like that. What I am really looking for is a right click application (replaces the current right click) and gives me access to most things, settings, apps, running apps, and things like this. In a simple clean minimal design.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am running Windows 10.

13 answers to this question

Guess there is always Window Blinds. . .not everyone's favorite. . .albeit it is something if you are really looking to change the UI. . .:)

Is Windows Blinds not just a theming app?

Most of the apps listed at wikipedia are start menu replacements, or a complete OS, or obsolete, like Litestep.

Really don't want to replace anything. I want to hide the taskbar/startmenu 100%, and then have everything I need in my right click. That would be sweet.

Who remembers this? (probably no one)

It was a really promising shell replacement, shame it got abandoned and not a single word from the developers.

It was a really promising shell replacement, shame it got abandoned and not a single word from the developers.

i do remember it for the fact that i never managed to get it run properly and going crazy because of the good looking screenshots. 

That's newish, I remember running LiteStep way back in the day, mainly used LDE(X) when it was still being worked on

Now a days they all seem pretty useless, they were needed in the 95-XP era because the Windows UI was horrible at best 

@OP wouldn't something like Launchy be a better choice than ruining the windows desktop with useless cruft? 

That's newish, I remember running LiteStep way back in the day, mainly used LDE(X) when it was still being worked on

Now a days they all seem pretty useless, they were needed in the 95-XP era because the Windows UI was horrible at best 

@OP wouldn't something like Launchy be a better choice than ruining the windows desktop with useless cruft? 

Yea I have wanted something like that but all that I can find, like Launchy are outdated and ugly designs.

Apparently I forgot about skins. There are some nice skins for Launchy, still seems some what dated.

For example. how do you get to the Windows 10 Settings menu....it does not find it.

And now the big question, how would one disable/remove the taskbar 100%. Not auto-hide, but hide and not be seen even on mouse over.

bman, use Litestep and they will hide windows stuff including the taskbar and load Litestep... you can make some changes in config as the way you like then restart litestep.

Litestep is around...   I used it back in late 90s. I have not used it since Windows 7 days.

l used to my my own themes for Litestep back in the day.

Apparently I forgot about skins. There are some nice skins for Launchy, still seems some what dated.

For example. how do you get to the Windows 10 Settings menu....it does not find it.

And now the big question, how would one disable/remove the taskbar 100%. Not auto-hide, but hide and not be seen even on mouse over.

You ask we serve: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4281191/HideTaskbar.zip

Set the taskbar to autohide to make it work properly.

Credits to the users from sevenforums.com

• Like 1