Windows RDC Issues with Network

Hello Ladies & Gents,

Been awhile since I've posted here. Having a bit of an issue here.

I have a server running, every time the server is rebooted, the DHCP IP is changed, that's normal. However when this happens, the port forwarding fails.

How can I go about making my servers IP be static, so I don't have to worry about port forwarding everytime I reboot the server?

Are you talking about the WAN IP or LAN IP?....

WAN IP, use a free Dynamic DNS service.

LAN IP, just set the IP static?

Well, what I'm trying to do is keep the IP, 192.168.1.104 assigned specifically to my server. Whenever I do that, I lose internet, and all LAN connectivity. My WAN IP never changes, it's static already. We'll use 1.1.1.1 as my WAN IP for the sake of things. My old Linksys router, this wasn't a problem. I could set multiple LAN IPs with the same ports, so if the DHCP address changed, it'd still work.

Why is your server receiving a DHCP address anyway? DHCP is for CLIENTS (aka workstations). 

You have 2 options - reserve the server in DHCP so it receives the same address each time it requests one, or set a static IP on your server. You don't know how to do these 2? 

This is REALLY basic, I thought you'd already know how to do this?

FYI - If your PCs are receiving a new IP on each bootup, there is something wrong with your DHCP server (lease settings).

"the DHCP IP is changed, that's normal. However when this happens"

No that is not normal.. Reboot of a machine should not cause its dhcp lease to not be renewed.. There should be no reason why a machine just rebooting would get a different IP.  Sounds like your talking lan and not wan on a router..  You say server..  Normally a "server" would have static set anyway.  And even if dhcp you would normally set a reservation so that it ALWAYS got the same no matter what.  You would use dhcp reservations vs static settings in the case where you might change stuff that dhcp clients would get via dhcp, like maybe dns, or gateway even or ntp server or many of the other options you can hand out via dhcp or dhcp inform.  Say for example your proxy setting via wpad.. There are loads of stuff you can hand out via dhcp that would make it beneficial to have even your servers use dhcp.. Not so much that their ip changes, but so you could change other information on that server without having to actually touch it.

Having all your devices with dhcp, and setting reservations for your servers also would allow you at some future time to really easy change your ip space to different range or different mask, etc.  There are lots of reason why even something like servers would be set up with dhcp vs static.  But you would almost always set a reservation so they get the same IP.

If on reboot it gets a different ip you got something odd going on..  Too many clients for your scope maybe that something would grab that lease right away on a simple reboot - so you have clients waiting for a lease???

If you want your box to have 192.168.1.104 all the time then setup a dhcp reservation so 192.168.1.104 can only be assigned to that mac address.

"I could set multiple LAN IPs with the same ports, so if the DHCP address changed, it'd still work." 

I have no idea what your talking about here?? Port forwards??  What??

Well, what I'm trying to do is keep the IP, 192.168.1.104 assigned specifically to my server. Whenever I do that, I lose internet, and all LAN connectivity. My WAN IP never changes, it's static already. We'll use 1.1.1.1 as my WAN IP for the sake of things. My old Linksys router, this wasn't a problem. I could set multiple LAN IPs with the same ports, so if the DHCP address changed, it'd still work.

IP Address: 192.168.1.104

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (wild guess)

DNS: ^

What's hard about that?

Never open more ports than you should. 

Edited by Jared-

IP Address: 192.168.1.104

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (wild guess)

DNS: ^

What's hard about that?

Never open more ports than you should. 

I have maybe 5 ports open total, XBOX Live, Windows RDC, and 3 more for other projects.

You're spot on, 192.168.1.1 is gateway, dns is Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

"the DHCP IP is changed, that's normal. However when this happens"

No that is not normal.. Reboot of a machine should not cause its dhcp lease to not be renewed.. There should be no reason why a machine just rebooting would get a different IP.  Sounds like your talking lan and not wan on a router..  You say server..  Normally a "server" would have static set anyway.  And even if dhcp you would normally set a reservation so that it ALWAYS got the same no matter what.  You would use dhcp reservations vs static settings in the case where you might change stuff that dhcp clients would get via dhcp, like maybe dns, or gateway even or ntp server or many of the other options you can hand out via dhcp or dhcp inform.  Say for example your proxy setting via wpad.. There are loads of stuff you can hand out via dhcp that would make it beneficial to have even your servers use dhcp.. Not so much that their ip changes, but so you could change other information on that server without having to actually touch it.

Having all your devices with dhcp, and setting reservations for your servers also would allow you at some future time to really easy change your ip space to different range or different mask, etc.  There are lots of reason why even something like servers would be set up with dhcp vs static.  But you would almost always set a reservation so they get the same IP.

If on reboot it gets a different ip you got something odd going on..  Too many clients for your scope maybe that something would grab that lease right away on a simple reboot - so you have clients waiting for a lease???

If you want your box to have 192.168.1.104 all the time then setup a dhcp reservation so 192.168.1.104 can only be assigned to that mac address.

"I could set multiple LAN IPs with the same ports, so if the DHCP address changed, it'd still work." 

I have no idea what your talking about here?? Port forwards??  What??

Yeah, port forwarding. Sorry, I wrote this while I was crashing from a energy drink pounding (had to stay up to finish a paper).

I'm not up to date with Networking. BudMan knows this, because I'm bombarded him with questions in the past. I'll look into setting IP reservations with DHCP.

As for setting multiple LAN IPs with the same port, it was Port Forwarding. I'd set IP 192.168.1.100 - 105 for Port 3389 (RDC Port). I had a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router as my old one.

I never noticed it before, simply because I never went into the DHCP settings on my router, but there is an address reservation slot.

Now, my final question is; should I limit how many addresses are reserved? I mean, I want ALL my connected devices, minus wireless to have a reserved IP, so 5 Devices total.

what?  Dude if you want a machine to always have the same IP then yes set a reservation for it.. 

"I'd set IP 192.168.1.100 - 105 for Port 3389 (RDC Port)"

Yeah no you didn't because that is IMPOSSIBLE!  Did you have 5 public IPs you can not forward port 3389 to 5 different IPs at the same time...

You could forward

publicIP:3389 192.168.1.100:3389
publicIP:3390 192.168.1.101:3389
publicIP:3391 192.168.1.102:3389

But you can not do

publicIP:3389 192.168.1.101:3389
publicIP:3389 192.168.1.102:3389

You could do

publicIP_A:3389 192.168.1.100:3389
publicIP_B:3389 192.168.1.101:3389
publicIP_C:3389 192.168.1.102:3389

But you can for from same pubic IP the same port into more than 1 machine.  Not going to work!!

what?  Dude if you want a machine to always have the same IP then yes set a reservation for it.. 

"I'd set IP 192.168.1.100 - 105 for Port 3389 (RDC Port)"

Yeah no you didn't because that is IMPOSSIBLE!  Did you have 5 public IPs you can not forward port 3389 to 5 different IPs at the same time...

You could forward

publicIP:3390 192.168.1.101:3389
publicIP:3391 192.168.1.102:3389

But you can not do

publicIP:3389 192.168.1.101:3389
publicIP:3389 192.168.1.102:3389

You could do

publicIP_A:3389 192.168.1.100:3389
publicIP_B:3389 192.168.1.101:3389
publicIP_C:3389 192.168.1.102:3389

But you can for from same pubic IP the same port into more than 1 machine.  Not going to work!!

WRT54G4.jpg

Well, I'd put a name for the application, the port I wanted open, then I'd set 100 - 105 for those, and click enable. Which is EXACTLY what I said.

why can't you set a dhcp reservation...or give it a static address outside of the dhcp scope?  

Why on gods green earth are you leaving 3389 open to the public anyway?  Do you like getting attacked?  Do you like getting hacked?  Do you like your information staying on your site? 

Secure it with a vpn, use teamviewer or logmein, use anything else other than opening rdp for direct internet access.

not sure what your showing just see text wrt54g.jpg

But I don't care what the software let you put in - you CAN NOT forward the same port to different machines...  How do you expect that to work??  So you would send the syn to all 5 machines??  Think for 2 freaking seconds..

You have 1 public IP address, how can you send port X to 5 different machines at the same time?

If you want to forward to 5 different machines for rdp, then use 5 different ports on the public side, or get more public IPs.  But as sc302 states and I agree with 100% why would anyone in their right mind allow remote desktop to the public internet??  Use something actually secure to access your network from remote..

Here are hits to 3389 last couple of days my firewall

hits3389.png

Edited by BudMan