Activate T-Mobile iPhone 6s from home

On Apple's page for buying the iPhone 6s, it says:

If you have selected an iPhone for T-Mobile, it will come with the appropriate nano-SIM, but you will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Store to activate your iPhone.

I was thinking of buying the unlocked, no-contract T-Mobile iPhone 6s from Apple. I would like to use it like without a service plan (like an iPod touch). However, what it says on Apple's website makes it seem like I would need to go to an Apple store or a T-Mobile store to activate it/set it up. Is there any way I could activate it/set it up from home instead?

I believe when they say "you will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Store to activate your phone" they are referring to getting the SIM card activated. If you don't plan on putting a SIM card in the phone then there would be no need to contact them.

On Apple's page for buying the iPhone 6s, it says:

If you have selected an iPhone for T-Mobile, it will come with the appropriate nano-SIM, but you will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Store to activate your iPhone.

I was thinking of buying the unlocked, no-contract T-Mobile iPhone 6s from Apple. I would like to use it like without a service plan (like an iPod touch). However, what it says on Apple's website makes it seem like I would need to go to an Apple store or a T-Mobile store to activate it/set it up. Is there any way I could activate it/set it up from home instead?

If you're not going to activate it/use it as an "iPod Touch", then you don't need to visit either store.

Not sure why you would want to do that but if you are not going to active it with service you generally don't need to do anything. Well, at least with Android phones...