How to buy Nexus 6P and 5X

EE in the UK is going to have it

I figured it out.  Nice you don't have to go through the carrier.  Just have to decide what phone I want.  One of the new Nexus devices, or the LG G4.  Not real thrilled on having to by new cables/chargers with the new Nexus devices.

I was going to buy the 32 GB Nexus 5X from the Play store £379.99, but it seems that Carphone Warehouse are going to have them for £349.99 so I might save myself £30 and pick up one from a high street store.

I figured it out.  Nice you don't have to go through the carrier.  Just have to decide what phone I want.  One of the new Nexus devices, or the LG G4.  Not real thrilled on having to by new cables/chargers with the new Nexus devices.

why new cables and chargers?

Yep, you just buy through the Google Play Store, and it'll work with your carrier. I'd love a phone w/ USB-C. Once you use a phone w/ a reversible cable, it becomes harder to go back!

I was dead set on the 6P. It's 499 US which is a good price for the thing, but then it's 700CAD!!!!!!!! I feel like I live in Australia.

If the only thing holding you back from getting a Nexus is the charging cables, just do it. You're either going to be getting new cables for this phone or your next phone, might as well get it over with now.

That being said, if I didn't have last year's Nexus 6, I would definitely be picking up this year's Nexus 6P. As it stands now, it's not enough of an upgrade so I'll wait until next year's.

Also, not sure if Verizon will support this phone immediately or not. Took them a long time to officially support the Nexus 6. Worst case scenario, get a SIM cutter to cut your current Micro SIM to a Nano SIM and it'll work like a charm. That's what I did and it's still working just fine.

If the only thing holding you back from getting a Nexus is the charging cables, just do it. You're either going to be getting new cables for this phone or your next phone, might as well get it over with now.

That being said, if I didn't have last year's Nexus 6, I would definitely be picking up this year's Nexus 6P. As it stands now, it's not enough of an upgrade so I'll wait until next year's.

I don't know, I have acquired a ton of microUSB cables over the years...I basically have a charger every room I go, plus many battery backups/etc. It is a pain/$ to replace everything to a brand new standard which is not supported by many devices. It'll definitely get cheaper over time, but it's definitely a new standard...The other positive thing is USB type C can also charge laptops (such as the new Macbook, Pixel laptop, etc.). So, it's a good cable to have if it's used by many types of devices! 

• 2 weeks later...

Question: How to preview a new Nexus device, to aid in the decision to buy? I see some other countries will have them in store, but how are people in he US buying them? Strictly blind? Or will you go to a YouTube channel like MKBHD or QbKing77 and watch their reviews? Will that be enough?

I really contemplated buying a Nexus 6P .. but the more I thought about it the more I want a phone with a Micro SD card. But at the same time I also want timely security updates. It still bugs me that my LG G3 shows 1 red on the Stagefright 2.0 test. '

There was a thread on XDA asking "What the community wants from a custom rom"

I was the only person who said security updates. It did and did not surprise me so few people were concerned about security.

Probably going with the 64gig 6P.  I still have my LG G2 and that is 32gig.  I do not use much space on my phone so really cannot imagine using 128gb of phone storage.  Out of stock on Google's site so will have to check back later.  Getting good reviews tho.

I really contemplated buying a Nexus 6P .. but the more I thought about it the more I want a phone with a Micro SD card. But at the same time I also want timely security updates. It still bugs me that my LG G3 shows 1 red on the Stagefright 2.0 test. '

I was the only person who said security updates. It did and did not surprise me so few people were concerned about security.

Not to downplay the importance of security updates, but Stagefright and some of these other vulnerabilities are just rarely exploited at a mass scale. Plus, if you have any semi-recent Android device with 4.1+ (so most devices from 2012+), the odds of being affected by Stagefright (even without a patch) is significantly reduced with ASLR.

We've been saying this for years, but Google really needs to hash out Android updates. IMO, this is the biggest disadvantage of Android, and it's getting really old...

Would a motorola not be a good choice in that sense? They are pretty much stock Android and come with SD slots,

Would a motorola not be a good choice in that sense? They are pretty much stock Android and come with SD slots,

My Moto G 1st gen never got past 4.4.4. Not even for stagefright fixes.

My Moto G 1st gen never got past 4.4.4. Not even for stagefright fixes.

oh wow really? not speaking from experience of course but I was under the impression that Motorola was running as close to latest the quickest. 

On the waiting list for the Nexus 6p 64gb model.  Not going to pay for a 128gb model.  Twice the storage, yea, but not paying an extra $100 for it.  And unless you are storing a bunch of MP3s or movies on your device, really 64gb is more than enough. 

Question: How to preview a new Nexus device, to aid in the decision to buy? I see some other countries will have them in store, but how are people in he US buying them? Strictly blind? Or will you go to a YouTube channel like MKBHD or QbKing77 and watch their reviews? Will that be enough?

I usually look at a few reviews and do a little research before I buy.  So far, been seeing lots of good things on the 6p.

USB type C is the future. one day or the other you will have to replace all your cable. its a given

I usually look at a few reviews and do a little research before I buy.  So far, been seeing lots of good things on the 6p.

So you would pay $600+ for a device having never held it in your hand? I read reviews all the time and watch videos. For videos/reviews I like Qbking77 and Marques Brownlee — recommend any others? — but every phone I've bought, I've held and turned over in my hand and operated before pulling the trigger on.

I hear good things about the 6P too, but I held the Nexus 6 from last year in an AT&T store (I use Verizon, but I wanted to feel it for myself) and it was way too big. But everything about it sounded great.

oh wow really? not speaking from experience of course but I was under the impression that Motorola was running as close to latest the quickest. 

Not anymore. I don't trust Moto anymore. The 2015 Moto E that was released in 20freaking15 is not getting upgraded to Marshmallow. Yes, this is the latest and greatest Moto E, and it is still on freaking sale. As a Moto G owner, what the ###### Moto? Had I known they would do something like this, I wouldn't have bought the Moto G - I absolutely wouldn't/don't support companies like this. 

So you would pay $600+ for a device having never held it in your hand? I read reviews all the time and watch videos. For videos/reviews I like Qbking77 and Marques Brownlee — recommend any others? — but every phone I've bought, I've held and turned over in my hand and operated before pulling the trigger on.

I hear good things about the 6P too, but I held the Nexus 6 from last year in an AT&T store (I use Verizon, but I wanted to feel it for myself) and it was way too big. But everything about it sounded great.

Many people buy things they haven't touched. Welcome to online shopping. I never heard good things about Nexus 6 on launch. IMO, it is too big of a phone, and I laughed at the price - a non-flagship phone at a flagship price? What was Google thinking? I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 6P online, it's a premium phone at a reasonable price that actually delivers.