Russian Soldiers to Join Fight in Syria

MOSCOW — Ratcheting up the confrontation over the Syria war, Russia said Monday that its “volunteer” ground forces would join the fight, and NATO warned the Kremlin after at least one Russian warplane trespassed into Turkey’s airspace.

The saber-rattling on both sides reflected a dangerous new big-power entanglement in the war, as longstanding differences between Russia and the United States over President Bashar al-Assad of Syria and his opponents increasingly play out not only in the halls of the United Nations but on the battlefield in Syria.

Russia squared off with Turkey and its NATO allies, calling the air incursion on Saturday an innocent mistake because of foul weather — a claim American officials rejected.

News services said late Monday that a second airspace violation might have been committed on Sunday, but that report could not be immediately confirmed.

The Russian air and ground deployments in Syria challenge the regional policies of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, President Obama and NATO.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/world/middleeast/russian-soldiers-join-syria-fight.html

MOSCOW — Ratcheting up the confrontation over the Syria war, Russia said Monday that its “volunteer” ground forces would join the fight, and NATO warned the Kremlin after at least one Russian warplane trespassed into Turkey’s airspace.

The saber-rattling on both sides reflected a dangerous new big-power entanglement in the war, as longstanding differences between Russia and the United States over President Bashar al-Assad of Syria and his opponents increasingly play out not only in the halls of the United Nations but on the battlefield in Syria.

Russia squared off with Turkey and its NATO allies, calling the air incursion on Saturday an innocent mistake because of foul weather — a claim American officials rejected.

News services said late Monday that a second airspace violation might have been committed on Sunday, but that report could not be immediately confirmed.

The Russian air and ground deployments in Syria challenge the regional policies of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, President Obama and NATO.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/world/middleeast/russian-soldiers-join-syria-fight.html

No offense but this is totally false.

MOSCOW — Ratcheting up the confrontation over the Syria war, Russia said Monday that its “volunteer” ground forces would join the fight.

There are no Russian ground forces that are fighting. No "volunteer" ground forces will be sent by Russia to join the fight.

Classic information twisting.

In the same week that Russia destroyed ISIL command centre, US bombed a hospital.  Now we will truly see that Americans and its allies never wanted to defeat ISIL and that they were simply bombing the countryside...

Meanwhile, four Russian cruise missiles missed Syria and hit Iran.

Nice shootin', Tex (Y)

Oh like the tomahawks that were supposed to hit Afghanistan but crashed in Pakistan?

In the same week that Russia destroyed ISIL command centre, US bombed a hospital.  Now we will truly see that Americans and its allies never wanted to defeat ISIL and that they were simply bombing the countryside...

The Americans armed and funded the ISIL - it's funny how many people forget that. They're in Syria to create mayhem, unnecessarily destroying civilian infrastructure, with the aim of further destabilizing the middle east and fulfilling their vision of the "new middle east". And the Europeans are in it too.

Meanwhile, four Russian cruise missiles missed Syria and hit Iran.

Nice shootin', Tex (Y)

How about all the reports coming out that most of Russia's targets are not ISIL.  They seem to be more focused on anti-Assad rebels. 

How about all the reports coming out that most of Russia's targets are not ISIL.  They seem to be more focused on anti-Assad rebels. 

Sounds like you bought into the propaganda. Foxnews? CNN?

Neither.  Do a little reading.  Not like this has not been reported on a lot the past week or so.

Mass reporting of information doesn't make it accurate information... especially when it all comes from the same script. I thought we were past this...

Anyway apparently Obama has stopped his 500mn program to train "moderate" Syrian Rebels. 

According to US Central Command only 4-5 "moderate" rebel fighters remained for the sum of 500mn. 

I guess there are no more "moderate" Syrian Rebels left?

Do let me know when you find those moderate Syrian Rebels. 

Mass reporting of information doesn't make it accurate information... especially when it all comes from the same script. I thought we were past this...

Anyway apparently Obama has stopped his 500mn program to train "moderate" Syrian Rebels. 

According to US Central Command only 4-5 "moderate" rebel fighters remained for the sum of 500mn. 

I guess there are no more "moderate" Syrian Rebels left?

Do let me know when you find those moderate Syrian Rebels. 

Not the same sources.  Turkish officials are reporting this as well as reports out of the UK.  Russia has also bombed US allies as well as Turkish allies.  Russia violating Turkish airspace as well.  You can make out whatever country to be the and nice and cuddly if you want.  Fact is, that there is always an ulterior motive for war.

This is all well known info.   Russia's primary interest here is to protect one of their last remaining allies in the area.  And ISIL come secondary to that and just an excuse to be over there. 

Not the same sources.  Turkish officials are reporting this as well as reports out of the UK.  Russia has also bombed US allies as well as Turkish allies.  Russia violating Turkish airspace as well.  You can make out whatever country to be the and nice and cuddly if you want.  Fact is, that there is always an ulterior motive for war.

This is all well known info.   Russia's primary interest here is to protect one of their last remaining allies in the area.  And ISIL come secondary to that and just an excuse to be over there. 

Russia never denied this, so your point is worthless.  They are in Syria to bomb and fight all terrorists, no matter what the west labels them.

Like Lavrov said, if it walks like a terrorist, talks like a terrorists, it's a terrorist.  

And judging by early widespread reports, they are doing a lot of damage in these early days.   Much, much more than the US and its allies accomplished so far.  

Putin is making US and its allies look like a bunch of idiots...

Edited by ctebah

I got to be honest here.

Your reply shows that your lack objective information.

US trains "moderate" rebels in Turkey, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

This will now end.

Turkey is pursuing their own fight against the Kurds. The UK? .. irrelevant. 

Turkey and Russia quickly sorted out the violation. However NATO has a hardon for any mistake they can find. So I can see how you are into this miniature point.

The creation of ISIS is a direct result of US foreign policy.

Russia is now cleaning it up. It is no secret that Russia is protecting their ally with whom they have a security pact.

They are operating legally in Syria under UN charter. Unlike the US which has been leading an illegal "bombing campaign" in Syria. Obviously infringing on the countries sovereignty.

Do not worry too much. Iraq is now calling for Russia to help them fight "ISIS".

I guess Russia's "only remaining" allies are multiplying?

Make no mistake. This event is like what the Suez Canal was for the British.

I got to be honest here.

Your reply shows that your lack objective information.

US trains "moderate" rebels in Turkey, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

This will now end.

Turkey is pursuing their own fight against the Kurds. The UK? .. irrelevant. 

Turkey and Russia quickly sorted out the violation. However NATO has a hardon for any mistake they can find. So I can see how you are into this miniature point.

The creation of ISIS is a direct result of US foreign policy.

Russia is now cleaning it up. It is no secret that Russia is protecting their ally with whom they have a security pact.

They are operating legally in Syria under UN charter. Unlike the US which has been leading an illegal "bombing campaign" in Syria. Obviously infringing on the countries sovereignty.

Do not worry too much. Iraq is now calling for Russia to help them fight "ISIS".

I guess Russia's "only remaining" allies are multiplying?

Make no mistake. This event is like what the Suez Canal was for the British.

FunkyMike - there is NOTHING objective about any of this.  The liberals are back to kissing up to Russian-supported thugs (or at least thugs that are not supported by the United States) AND continuing an isolationist foreign policy.  I would also wager that you plan on raiding the defense budget AGAIN (for more domestic programs) despite monstrous overspending and FWA in the existing ones.  IF the Russians are willing to actually take ON ISIL (which I seriously doubt) - good frigging luck; they WILL need it.  What IS with the love of thugs by liberals?

FunkyMike - there is NOTHING objective about any of this.  The liberals are back to kissing up to Russian-supported thugs (or at least thugs that are not supported by the United States) AND continuing an isolationist foreign policy.  I would also wager that you plan on raiding the defense budget AGAIN (for more domestic programs) despite monstrous overspending and FWA in the existing ones.  IF the Russians are willing to actually take ON ISIL (which I seriously doubt) - good frigging luck; they WILL need it.  What IS with the love of thugs by liberals?

"Russian supported thungs"?  When Americas policies created most of the terrorists on this planet.  Ridiculous. 

Russians are in Syria to take on terrorists, that includes ISIS and those that west likes to label as "moderate."  Russians have never denied that they will be bombing Assads enemies and I'm not surprised that most of the people bought into what media sold them on Assad.

You, after all, claimed that German manufacturing is on the decline and I destroyed that argument completely.  

So how Assad treats his citizens suddenly doesn't matter?  Barrel-bombing and using chemical weapons on your own citizens is "thug behavior" - the latter on the part of Saddam gave his regime (and his backers, at the time, the US and UK), a rather public black eye - which I am, in fact, stipulating.  You're all quick to talk about "human rights" when it comes the US or allies OF the United States - where is that same chatter when it comes to the Russians or their allies?  THAT is the exact question I am asking - "thuggish behavior" is wrong on the part of the US or their allies - what in heck makes it acceptable on tee part of the Russians or THEIR allies, huh?

So how Assad treats his citizens suddenly doesn't matter?  Barrel-bombing and using chemical weapons on your own citizens is "thug behavior" - the latter on the part of Saddam gave his regime (and his backers, at the time, the US and UK), a rather public black eye - which I am, in fact, stipulating.  You're all quick to talk about "human rights" when it comes the US or allies OF the United States - where is that same chatter when it comes to the Russians or their allies?  THAT is the exact question I am asking - "thuggish behavior" is wrong on the part of the US or their allies - what in heck makes it acceptable on tee part of the Russians or THEIR allies, huh?

Why don't I ask you the same questions in regards to US?  They support a barbaric regime in Saudi Arabia and then on top of that they create, train and equip terrorists to serve their interests.  They take down regimes that don't work for them and leave entire regions a mess.

And I thought we were past the whole "Assad was using chemical weapons" thing....You realize the west never confirmed or found evidence of this?  

Of course it's not ok for Russia and its allies to do the negative things in this world but no country does it on the level of the US, who supports the largest financiers of terrorism, the Saudis....

• Like 2