London woman charged after alleged #killallwhitemen tweet

A student diversity officer who came to prominence in a race row after allegedly tweeting the hashtag #killallwhitemen has been charged by police with sending a threatening communication.
Bahar Mustafa, of Goldsmiths, University of London, is set to appear at Bromley magistrates court on 5 November.
The 28-year-old from Edmonton, north-east London, faces two charges. One is sending a communication conveying a threatening message between 10 November 2014 and 31 May 2015. The second is for sending a grossly offensive message via a public communication network between 10 November 2014 and 31 May 2015.
Mustafa was initially accused of racism for asking white men not to attend a students' union meeting intended for ethnic minority and "non-binary" women.
She then became embroiled in a separate row, accused of using the hashtag #killallwhitemen on her Twitter account, which has since been deleted.
A Met police spokesman said in a statement: "A woman interviewed under caution regarding a complaint of racially motivated malicious communication made on a social media network has been summonsed to court."
Mustafa is neither an employee of Goldsmiths nor a student, but an employee of the independent students' union, elected by union members.
Mustafa remained in her position as welfare and diversity officer after a petition for a motion of no confidence fell short of the 3% of union members required to trigger a poll.
After the furore, Mustafa denied that her initial request for white men to stay away from a union meeting was racist or sexist, and said she had received rape and death threats.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/06/london-woman-charged-over-alleged-killallwhitemen-tweet

Bahar Mustafa, welfare and diversity officer at Goldsmiths Students' Union

Ms Mustafa has said her use of the term "white trash" on an official account had been "not professional".

But she also said the use on her personal account of hashtags such as #killallwhitemen were "in-jokes and ways that many people in the queer feminist community express ourselves".

It is okay everyone .. this is just how the queer feminist community express themselves.

It would be nice if the court brought her down to earth and rules that yes, she can indeed be racist and sexist, no matter what bits are between her legs, and no matter that the target of the attack happen to have a lack of melanin.

This hole, only wight people can be racist, and only men can be sexist, nonsense needs to stop.

• Like 2

You can face criminal charges for using a hashtag? WTF? Was there any actual tweets calling for violence against white people? Based on this you would have to ban bad humor on social networks. #needafaggottostartafire

Sometimes I think people in the old Soviet Union had more freedoms...

This is racism light at best... I could give a long list of forums online where violence against black people is advocated on a daily basis.

EDITED

Edited by oldtimefighter

You can face criminal charges for using a hashtag? WTF? Was there any actual tweets calling for violence against white people? Based on this you would have to ban bad humor on social networks. #needafaggottostartafire

Sometimes I think people in the old Soviet Union had more freedom...

This is racism light at best... I could give a long list of forums online where violence against black people is advocated on a daily basis.

Her actions in the real world reflected her beliefs online though in this case.

Her actions in the real world reflected her beliefs online though in this case.

Can you point to other things she posted online or real life actions where she advocated violence against or killing white people? I haven't read up on this story but I am pretty sure she is speaking out against white privilege which is not the same as racism (ducks).

Can you point to other things she posted online or real life actions where she advocated violence against or killing white people? I haven't read up on this story but I am pretty sure she is speaking out against white privilege which is not really the same as racism (ducks).

"Mustafa was initially accused of racism for asking white men not to attend a students' union meeting intended for ethnic minority and "non-binary" women"

Sometimes I think people in the old Soviet Union had more freedom...

Here in the UK, hate speech is taken seriously, especially when such speech is suggesting violence against another. In the end of the day, its about intent, and given the extreme views they hold, and the fact that they say that it is their way of expressing them selves, the court may fine that they are expressing that they wish to kill wight men.

It is possible that the court may find this to actually be inciting violence and hate speech, but it is likely that she will be sent to community service given that it was only a miss guided tweet.

• Like 2

"Mustafa was initially accused of racism for asking white men not to attend a students' union meeting intended for ethnic minority and "non-binary" women"

She has "been charged by police with sending a threatening communication" not racism which as far as I know is not a crime. My question is what are the threats? Is it just the hashtag? Sounds weak to me...

She has "been charged by police with sending a threatening communication" not racism which as far as I know is not a crime. My question is what are the threats? Is it just the hashtag? Sounds weak to me...

You kind of have to look at this from the perspective of Europe. After world war two and the atrocities that followed, the governments wanted to make sure it would never happen again. So they maid it law that discrimination against race or religion was illegal, and because the way propaganda was used to turn an entire population against a group of people, they extended the law to include speech as well. This was so propaganda could not be used in a similar way to turn people on such a mass scale.

This law how ever has been miss used before to stop criticism of religion, but the EU has recently nipped this in the butt excluding criticism, because it was essentially being used as a EU wide anti blasphemy law by sensitive religious groups, which was not its intent.
But just saying kill all wight men would not be classed as criticism.

Edited by Ad Man Gamer