Windows Phone Store Increasingly Targeted With Fake Mobile Apps

A post by security company Avast says not only are a large amount of fake apps available from the third-party marketplace of the Windows Phone Store, but they also remain available for quite a while despite negative comments and other flags from end-users. Avast speculates that improved security and auditing procedures at rival stores such as Google Play account for the increasing attention that fake app-publishers are giving to the Windows phone app market.

http://it.slashdot.org/story/15/10/06/2341221/windows-phone-store-increasingly-targeted-with-fake-mobile-apps

Hello,

I have tried to report fake/fraudulent Windows Phone apps to Microsoft a few times, and was told that unless I was the rights holder they would not do anything and suggested that I leave a review for the app with my concerns, instead.

Unfortunately, this gives the appearance that Microsoft is more interested in inflating the number of apps (and reviews) in their store than taking steps to remove bad apps from the Windows Phone ecosystem.

In contrast, I have not had any difficulties reporting fake/fraudulent apps to Google, and they have been dealt with fairly quickly (under 24 hours).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Perhaps Microsoft have decided that the profits they got from more fake/fraudulent Apps in the Store are outweigh the complain from WP's users because of such fake/fraudulent apps.
Profit first.

Hello,

I have tried to report fake/fraudulent Windows Phone apps to Microsoft a few times, and was told that unless I was the rights holder they would not do anything and suggested that I leave a review for the app with my concerns, instead.

Unfortunately, this gives the appearance that Microsoft is more interested in inflating the number of apps (and reviews) in their store than taking steps to remove bad apps from the Windows Phone ecosystem.

In contrast, I have not had any difficulties reporting fake/fraudulent apps to Google, and they have been dealt with fairly quickly (under 24 hours).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Microsoft has been aggressively removing apps from the Store, so I doubt it's the case of Microsoft trying to inflate the number of apps which at the end of the day doesn't matter anyway.