CPU Thermal Paste

What's the best thermal paste. I'm running an i7 core 4700M laptop CPU and was wondering how often is good for replacing or redoing thermal paste on the GPU/CPU. thanks

Chrisj1968

Everyone has their different opinions. In laptop you don't really need to touch it, just keep the side vents dust-less.

• Like 1

That's perfectly normal... I wouldn't worry about it until you hit the mid 60s to 70s...

I never said it did or didn't, those temps are normal, not breaking your CPU's break point.

This is a laptop, you don't have a big whopper heatsink on it...

ous0v4.png

The temps of 61-64 are are 30 degrees under what apparently the maximum are. after playing a game\

@ mindovermaster- I wasn't saying yo usaid anything either way. I'm glad you cleared things up for me is all

To answer your original question though - its one of the silliest nerd arguments there are.

You will see lengthy discussions, with many people saying things like, "no way man, that stuff sucks compared to xxxxxx !  It owns ********  ! "
Or someone saying, "I used to use product xxxxx then made the switch to *******   and Im never going back "

All the while the difference will be 2 degrees.

Some will even argue the merits of ceramique as opposed to diamond applique or some crap, others will argue semantics about method of application - it really is quite pathetic.

Dont get me wrong - good thermal paste is important.  But the difference between good and bad isnt a vast difference like the contrast between a generic no named power supply from China that claims 1500W and cost $45 & the 1500W Corsair Titanium @ $400.

Think of all the OEM computers that runs 24/7 for years with some no named paste/pad without issues.
But if your OCing (I realize you're not since this is about a laptop) - then you can nitpick and go for some Shin Etsu, or Artic Silver 5, or that Dow Corning stuff...

FWIW

avoid IC diamond the CEO threw a hissy fit temper tantrum on TPU forums!

So because the CEO was mad about something, this is reason to avoid the product ?  :rolleyes:

thier products DAMAGED components! http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/2013/07/innovation-cooling-ceo-throws-tantrum.html was the story I reported on them a while ago... company still won't solve the issue and still acts like a douche

I've seen a lot of laptops that have a thermal pad, rather than paste.

If that is the case with your laptop, then buying paste won't do you any good, because pads are a lot thicker, the heatsink will not make proper contact.

Arctic Silver is generally the agreed best, or at least one of the top 2/3 brands.

But yeh in a  laptop with temps like that, no really worth bothering with the hassle of taking the laptop apart IMO.

Get a laptop cooler.  It will assist with keeping temps down.  

As far as how often, probably should be done if you replace the battery or the laptop keeps going into a thermal shutdown.  It doesn't last forever. 

thier products DAMAGED components! http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/2013/07/innovation-cooling-ceo-throws-tantrum.html was the story I reported on them a while ago... company still won't solve the issue and still acts like a douche

Oh well if thats the case - then hell yeah dont use their products - but if it was just because the guy was a whiney bitch on a forum, thats not a reason to not get a product if the product is good.

Look how crazy McAfee was, but it didnt matter, because their killer Anti-virus software company he founded made such outstanding anti-virus platform that.... LOL I cant even type this with a straight face... I literally cant finish typing it is so full of lies.

But yeah, if it is damaging crap - and he wont make it right - screw him and his company.

• Like 2

actually thermal paste while good, isn't what will keep temps down. 

Depends. I have had 2 laptops. A Dell XPS M1530 (8600m GT @ GDDR3) and it came a time that the paste needed to be replaced. In normal usage scenarios the GPU would skyrocket to 100 °C (no joke) and would shut down for overheating after a couple of minutes. I applied a thermal paste (was a generic at that time) and I felt a new computer. Temp would go down to 55°C - 60°C after normal usage and all the programs started to run fast again. I would apply it again once I felt the temperatures skyrocketing as it did. 

The second laptop is the one I'm using right now and is a Lenovo Y510p (2x 755m). I stopped playing for a while and after a year I resumed Assassin's Creed 3. I had around 35 FPS DOWN what I used to have. After replacing the thermal paste on the main 755m all games started playing smoothly again. 

And about having a generic and a "specialized one"... I can only say that although they won't matter much regarding temperatures. On the other hand, durability (from my experience) is noticed. I purchased an ARCTIC MX-4 @ $7.78 and I haven't had the need to replace it since I applied it (4 months ago). 

I suggest to replace thermal paste only when is needed. That is when: a) You start hearing fan noise even with the vents all cleaned up. b) Temperatures are very high doing the same task.  

ok I'm 30 degrees under the maximum at the moment. But I'll thermal paste the CPU and GPU in about 6 months. I got this last year OCT/NOV time frame.

With the OP temps ... I wouldn't worry about it (much less risking damage to the components trying to take the notebook apart).  With regards to thermal paste ... just stick with a name brand (Arctic, Gelid, etc).  

I prefer Epoxy PC-7.  :shiftyninja:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2015, 2:47:27, T3X4S said:

To answer your original question though - its one of the silliest nerd arguments there are.

You will see lengthy discussions, with many people saying things like, "no way man, that stuff sucks compared to xxxxxx !  It owns ********  ! "
Or someone saying, "I used to use product xxxxx then made the switch to *******   and Im never going back "

All the while the difference will be 2 degrees.

Some will even argue the merits of ceramique as opposed to diamond applique or some crap, others will argue semantics about method of application - it really is quite pathetic.

Dont get me wrong - good thermal paste is important.  But the difference between good and bad isnt a vast difference like the contrast between a generic no named power supply from China that claims 1500W and cost $45 & the 1500W Corsair Titanium @ $400.

Think of all the OEM computers that runs 24/7 for years with some no named paste/pad without issues.
But if your OCing (I realize you're not since this is about a laptop) - then you can nitpick and go for some Shin Etsu, or Artic Silver 5, or that Dow Corning stuff...

FWIW

While thermal paste is "de rigeur" if you use an aftermarket cooling setup (air OR water), I can't dismiss Intel's standard pre-applied paste and heatsink combo since the 4-pin switchover back with LGA775.  (Yes - I'm referring to the push-pin HSF, but the second-generation one, that started with Wolfdale and Core 2 Quad (Q6600), with a four-wire fan.)  I used it with Q6600, and am using the LGA115x variant with G3258 - and it's generally Murphy-proof.

Once the CPU is locked down behind the open-face shield, place the HSF over the shield, making sure the HSF pins line up with the holes in the motherboard.  Press down on opposing corners with either fingers or a flathead screwdriver until the pin-holder expands to lock, then turn each corner one-quarter turn clockwise.  Repeat with the other two corners.

If I WERE to use thermal paste, I'd stick with tried and true AS-5 (as it's what I'd been using with aftermarket cooling (always air) until the push-pins came along - unlike some, I look back upon pre-pushpin installation of heatsinks for processors with a great deal of dread.  Push-pins?  Relief!)