We're upgrading the forums to 4.1 w/e of 28 November

Hi all,

After the shambles of an upgrade to 4.x which left parts of the forum either unusable (activity stream/searching/profile options) or just plain broke and feature incomplete (header menus/full spy/links within old topics) of which we also fully acknowledge, we are confident that the upgrade to 4.1 addresses most of our issues.

I want to point out, that without our upgrade to 4.0.3, many of the issues we came across may not have made it into 4.1 as quickly. IPS (the creators of the forum software) worked with Neowin to address some of the issues we had, and are still having.

Lastly, all of our developers have IRL jobs, and despite this, they have worked tirelessly to make the forums at the very least 'usable' so I want to say a big thanks to them as well.

I'm confident most of the issues we're seeing right now will be addressed with the upgrade, and failing, that the days and weeks after.

There are certain features you probably don't even notice, yet have been completely rewritten to take load of our servers, such as the minispy which no longer 'jumps' into the page, or resets after a few seconds upon load. The devs have never stopped managing the forums, and the fact that you may not notice this, is actually a good thing! :)

I can't tell you if it will happen on Saturday or Sunday yet, but I'll try to provide some notice before the forums are disabled for the upgrade. We have also ran tests against the live database for the upgrade, and everything is "looking good."

Great!

Looking forward to it.

Will the front page will be updated with how the migrations is going & how long will it take?

v3 to v4 was down for a long time & it was really annoying to not have any updates about when it will be done.

any chance of a lite mode/gmail's comfortable/cozy/compact mode?

Thanks in Advance Guys :)

• Like 8

I didn't realize that the developers weren't dedicated jobs, in that case if an extra helping hand is needed for design/front-end development I'd be willing to offer a helping hand. I do it for a living as it is but didn't know that the devs here were just 'spare time' contributions in a sense.

Not looking forward to this. I'm hoping since it is a smaller version jump that will be done slighter faster than last time.

I rather see it done right than fast.

• Like 3

Not looking forward to this. I'm hoping since it is a smaller version jump that will be done slighter faster than last time.

As you say it's only a minor version bump, the extent of the database changes and rebuilding of posts needed is much smaller (in fact, I'm not sure there is any rebuilding of posts as part of the 4 -> 4.1 migration)

As you say it's only a minor version bump, the extent of the database changes and rebuilding of posts needed is much smaller (in fact, I'm not sure there is any rebuilding of posts as part of the 4 -> 4.1 migration)

Well, if there is no rebuilding of posts this time, then that's pretty good. Means no extra content loss.