Anyone have the Windows 10 November update uninstall any of your programs?

My co-worker complained when updating his PCs to Windows 10 and again when the November update hit his Bitdefender Total Security 2016 would be uninstalled. I had never heard of anything like that before nor had the issue myself (but don't use Bitdefender) but now read this --> http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/24/beware-latest-windows-10-update-may-remove-programs-automatically/

WTF Microsoft? Give us a warning if you think we have some software installed that may not be compatible or at least give us the option for it not to be uninstalled.

Anyone else have this issue?

Interesting.  I wonder what future updates will accidently uninstall software (Photoshop, Chrome, x game, etc) or render hardware incompatible?  Though I do not have an AMD video card ... I saw on the ghacks link that Catalyst was affected on some computers.  Really?  On my W10 notebook it removed the ELAN software/drivers for my touchpad ... which wasn't a big deal as I just installed the Win 8 driver/software ... but it was annoying.  Will there be a point that I can not longer use my ELAN touchpad drivers/software?  The longer Microsoft extends out this Windows 8/10 beta OS... the less I'm thrilled about Microsoft's OS (and I really haven't been since the Windows 8 TP which removed the start menu).  

I think this brings up another potential problem (since Windows is now a service) ... will software/hardware become unsupported?  You knew upgrading from 9x > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 that x,y,z software/hardware was incompatible which would help you determine if a) you wanted to upgrade and fork over money for new software/hardware or b) stick with your current operating system.  Now I am starting to worry that with 10 (and its forced/delayed updates) one day your software/hardware will be rendered useless.  Will a future update brick my printer or make it where I can not scan documents wirelessly?  Will Photoshop (or any other inexpensive/expensive software) cease to work?

I can understand removing legacy hardware...as pretty much every new Windows version did.  What I hope doesn't happen is that the current Windows 10 (keeping with the version 10) doesn't make currently compatible software/hardware incompatible in future cumulative or larger updates (th2, redstone, etc).  Since updates are basically forced now this would mean that users would have no choice but to replace perfectly good software/hardware or downgrade back to 7/8.  

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

It "removed" CPU-Z, but not really, after an update it was back, settings were still the same

It's partially my fault, hadn't updated it in a while, everything else stays up to date and nothing else was "removed"  

Hello,

There is a large discussion of this over on Slashdot at http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/11/25/049259/windows-10-fall-update-uninstalls-desktop-software-without-informing-users.  Some older (but still Windows 10-compatible) versions of my employer's software were affected by this so I left a comment in there about it.  Looks like several other security software vendors were affected as well, judging from the various comments in the thread

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It "removed" CPU-Z, but not really, after an update it was back, settings were still the same

It's partially my fault, hadn't updated it in a while, everything else stays up to date and nothing else was "removed"  

What was your fault? One's OS shouldn't be removing any software without asking the PC owner's first.

• Like 2

Hello,

In previous versions of Windows, the upgrade process would stop when it came across incompatible software or drivers, notify the user of the incompatibility, and ask them to resolve the issue before upgrading to the new version of Windows.  The problem is, a lot of users treated this as a blocker for upgrading their version of Windows and never did so or delayed the upgrade.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is taking a different approach.  Incompatible software that blocks the installation of Windows 10 is disabled (perhaps even uninstalled some times) so that it does not cause problems for the new operating system when installed.  The user is notified via a toast message afterwards, so they can fix the issue. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 11/28/2015, 8:24:17, oldtimefighter said:

What was your fault? One's OS shouldn't be removing any software without asking the PC owner's first.

Edited by goretsky
fixed line spacing
  • Like 3

This is one of the reasons why we are looking at LTSB in our business.  Not only are the upgrades forced (you will not receive critical / security updates if you defer longer than a few months), it might uninstall some software that we need.  During my testing, it uninstalled RSAT without letting me know.

Considering all these programs do the same thing, is it possible they updated a system service these all hook into? It wouldn't be the first time.

@OP, if the program is incompatible, it's incompatible. There's not much Microsoft can do about it if you're upgrading the OS. It's not their problem to solve the incompatibility. Letting it remain on the system during the upgrade would only compound the issue.

13 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

In previous versions of Windows, the upgrade process would stop when it came across incompatible software or drivers, notify the user of the incompatibility, and ask them to resolve the issue before upgrading to the new version of Windows.  The problem is, a lot of users treated this as a blocker for upgrading their version of Windows and never did so or delayed the upgrade.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is taking a different approach.  Incompatible software that blocks the installation of Windows 10 is disabled (perhaps even uninstalled some times) so that it does not cause problems for the new operating system when installed.  The user is notified via a toast message afterwards, so they can fix the issue. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What? Some of these programs can't be blocking the installation of Windows. CPU-Z?

47 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Considering all these programs do the same thing, is it possible they updated a system service these all hook into? It wouldn't be the first time.

@OP, if the program is incompatible, it's incompatible. There's not much Microsoft can do about it if you're upgrading the OS. It's not their problem to solve the incompatibility. Letting it remain on the system during the upgrade would only compound the issue.

I know you are the official Microsoft apologist but come on... You are saying Bitdefender Total Security 2016 is not compatible with Windows 10? CPU-Z? The issue is the Windows upgrade process... Remember we are not just talking about going from Windows 7 to 10 (that I could understand in some cases) but also just installing the November update. All the OS needs to do is give the user a warning so-so program may not be working anymore and check with the vendor for an update.

14 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I know you are the official Microsoft apologist but come on... You are saying Bitdefender Total Security 2016 is not compatible with Windows 10? CPU-Z? The issue is the Windows upgrade process... Remember we are not just talking about going from Windows 7 to 10 (that I could understand in some cases) but also just installing the November update. All the OS needs to do is give the user a warning so-so program may not be working anymore and check with the vendor for an update.

Huh? Even "small" OS upgrades can break compatibility, depending on what's being updated. There have been numerous times even installing a service pack broke compatibility.

9 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Huh? Even "small" OS upgrades can break compatibility, depending on what's being updated. There have been numerous times even installing a service pack broke compatibility.

Did you even read the OP link and my comments? The programs are compatible with Windows 10 and even if some were not they don't need to be uninstalled.

3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Did you even read the OP link and my comments? The programs are compatible with Windows 10 and even if some were not they don't need to be uninstalled.

Yes, I did. They may be compatible with Windows 10 "RTM", but again, when an OS updates, compatibility with the preceding build doesn't mean a thing.

4 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

If they are compatible, why is Windows uninstalling them?

Probably because they show issues during the upgrade. What is worse, uninstalling an app you can reinstall, or crashing during an update?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Probably because they show issues during the upgrade. What is worse, uninstalling an app you can reinstall, or crashing during an update?

It won't crash during an update.  I can install Photoshop 5 on Windows 8 with some tweaks.  It is not officially compatible, but it will not crash the OS.

2 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

If programs are going to be removed, the user should be notified and given the option to defer the update. Just installing an update and removing people's apps is a pretty cack handed way to handle updating.

• Like 2

Just now, Javik said:

If programs are going to be removed, the user should be notified and given the option to defer the update. Just installing an update and removing people's apps is a pretty cack handed way to handle updating.

I'm not arguing that.