Regedit crashes while using Find on Windows 10?

Curious whether anyone else sees this.

I've been trying to persuade a Surface pen to open Onenote (Desktop, 2016, 64-bit) instead of the app. So far tried searching for onenote-cmd and onenoteim in the registry to try and figure out how the association is assigned. I can only get through the Quick Action settings portion in HKLM, then Find Next just grinds away until I hit Cancel, which causes regedit to crash.

Anyone know of a way to tweak the button action? I see instructions that work specifically for Onenote (Desktop, 2013, 32-bit). Can I trick the file system into launching onenote.exe whenever something tries to launch onenoteim.exe?

Nope. Was looking for a way myself a while back but it appears the OneNote app team didn't talk to the other departments about how to launch OneNote app vs OneNote desktop so they invented their own onenote-cmd protocol handler just for themselves which naturally the OneNote desktop team know nothing about so do not support it at all.

Try running sfc /scannow from an Administrative Command Prompt. If there is a file error this should fix it. If it's a bug, sfc won't do a thing.

I tried to replicate it, but was unable to on my system. I agree with what seeprime said, because something definitely sounds seriously not right. (I had this happen to me way back in the XP days, but that was many MANY moons ago) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2015, 7:20:24, kozukumi said:

Nope. Was looking for a way myself a while back but it appears the OneNote app team didn't talk to the other departments about how to launch OneNote app vs OneNote desktop so they invented their own onenote-cmd protocol handler just for themselves which naturally the OneNote desktop team know nothing about so do not support it at all.

I found that this AutoHotKey based solution still works for forcing the pen button to run any command. Got it launching the desktop version of Onenote 2016. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2am8tv/i_have_compiled_a_bunch_of_autohotkey/