Purchasing a set of used RAM modules from ebay; need advice and opinions

I'm looking to purchase a set of 4 x 2 GB used RAM modules. I've narrowed my search down to three choices. All three seem to be trustworthy, although the third one is from a very new seller. Need your opinions and advice to make the final decision.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111822478903?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (Quite cheap at $40, but is asking for $30 shipping cost to Armenia)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370992336069?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ($13.6 shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191744244183?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (The seller has a very short track record; seems reliable though. $7.52 shipping)

P.S.

There is one more option with free shipping, but the problem is that this same item is listed under two different sellers. Seems kind of suspicious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251913458812?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252165103305?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by eddman

Go with the 3rd link

He has sold 26 items with 100% positive reviews - that is good enough for me.

Those last 2 are questionable - maybe they used the same pic - but still - avoid.

Go with the 3rd link

He has sold 26 items with 100% positive reviews - that is good enough for me.

Those last 2 are questionable - maybe they used the same pic - but still - avoid.

I would go with what he said.

I don't trust eBay at all, can't you find a similar deal on Amazon or Newegg? 

EDIT: Scratch all that. In search results it said they do ship to Armenia, but that's not the case on the product page.

Newegg does not ship to Armenia and although I thought the same for amazon, apparently they do ship some of the items here.

This is the only proper item I could find:

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-PC2-6300-PC2-6400-Desktop-Semiconductors/dp/B00GXI9YC8/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448659929&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A677427011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A14329121%2Cp_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

I've never heard of Komputerbay before. It has a 4.5 star rating from 86 reviews though. Any thoughts?

My only reservation with buying a new set from amazon instead of used from ebay is that the sellers on ebay usually test their items before shipping, but that's not the case with new items and I might get a lemon, although I would certainly like to get a new item over a used one. Is my reasoning wrong?

Edited by eddman

Why is there this annoying editing time limit.

Anyway, I chatted with the amazon help and it seems they do ship it to Armenia but at a bit higher price; $69 instead of $54.

The same question; I've never heard of Komputerbay before. The item has a 4.5 star rating from 86 reviews though. Any thoughts?

My only reservation with buying a new set from amazon instead of used from ebay is that the sellers on ebay usually test their items before shipping, but that's not the case with new items and I might get a lemon, although I would certainly like to get a new item over a used one. Is my reasoning wrong?

On 11/27/2015, 4:37:56, eddman said:

Why is there this annoying editing time limit.

Anyway, I chatted with the amazon help and it seems they do ship it to Armenia but at a bit higher price; $69 instead of $54.

The same question; I've never heard of Komputerbay before. The item has a 4.5 star rating from 86 reviews though. Any thoughts?

Yes

In fact - that is the most backward reasoning I have ever heard.... ever..

25 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Yes

In fact - that is the most backward reasoning I have ever heard.... ever..

You could've at least elaborated instead of just throwing "it's backwards", not to mention you didn't even help with the choices, but that's fine.

When I'm buying an item from thousands of KMs away, which makes returning it more of a hassle and also quite costly, I'd rather buy a cheaper, tested used one than a more expensive, untested new one. Maybe you thought I'm one of those people who always prefer used over new. It's actually quite the opposite, but this is a special case. Besides, I'm upgrading an 8 years old PC here, so buying new stuff for it isn't a priority.

It's doesn't matter now. I already bought a set from an ebay seller in Germany, and it's new, and it ended up just $5 more expensive than the used ones from other sellers. I was rather surprised with the price + shipping cost.

At least returning it would be easier and far cheaper.

OK - I'll explain it like this - all things being equal, which items have a higher chance of being defective ?  new or used ?

Since old RAM is just as good as new RAM (used doesnt take away from performance) you still have to include the very idea of the seller might be selling because its a little flaky.

The manufacturer has QC, and will not sell something if it doesnt pass inspection.

I do not think manufacturers test every stick of RAM, they probably pull samples that have passed all other forms of QC - but - your chances of getting good RAM are better if new.  Granted, if the seller has a great rep, and sells RAM all the time - I'd buy it if I couldnt get new.

When I was working on someone else's computer that needed RAM and was old, I would go to an electronics discount store - shuffle through trays of RAM sticks, and grab some - probably still working years later.

If you are concerned about the chance of bad RAM due to you living where you are, your chances are better with new RAM as opposed to RAM from some seller.

Your best bet is RAM that you can run memtest on - but that isnt option here.

Thats all I was saying

But good find on the Germany stuff !

11 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

OK - I'll explain it like this - all things being equal, which items have a higher chance of being defective ?  new or used ?

Since old RAM is just as good as new RAM (used doesnt take away from performance) you still have to include the very idea of the seller might be selling because its a little flaky.

The manufacturer has QC, and will not sell something if it doesnt pass inspection.

I do not think manufacturers test every stick of RAM, they probably pull samples that have passed all other forms of QC - but - your chances of getting good RAM are better if new.  Granted, if the seller has a great rep, and sells RAM all the time - I'd buy it if I couldnt get new.

When I was working on someone else's computer that needed RAM and was old, I would go to an electronics discount store - shuffle through trays of RAM sticks, and grab some - probably still working years later.

If you are concerned about the chance of bad RAM due to you living where you are, your chances are better with new RAM as opposed to RAM from some seller.

Your best bet is RAM that you can run memtest on - but that isnt option here.

Thats all I was saying

I understand. Some of these sellers on ebay might even be lying when they mention that they've tested the sticks themselves, with memtest, etc. but given their very high ratings, I give them the benefit of the doubt. If they did actually run a test, then the item should be fine.

As for new RAM, yes, they most probably run tests on them before packaging them, but there is always a chance of getting a bad one; a VERY slim chance, but still.

I do agree that new is almost always better than old; that's also what my father always says, although he usually follows with a "if you can afford it".

1 minute ago, eddman said:

I understand. Some of these sellers on ebay might even be lying when they mention that they've tested the sticks themselves, with memtest, etc. but given their very high rates, I give them the benefit of the doubt. If they did actually run a test, then the item should be fine.

As for new RAM, yes, they most probably run tests on them before packaging them, but there is always a chance of getting a bad one; a VERY slim chance, but still.

I do agree that new is almost always better than old; that's also what my father always says, although he usually follows with a "if you can afford it".

Yep - my dad's little quotes are great - but really only pertain to someone with his finances... things like "If you cant afford to replace it - you couldn't afford it in the 1st place"  LOL