New router in my network ?

Question

Hi 

I was just looking for some settings and discovered new router near my actual one (DIR-600). Do you guys know what's going on or why that 615 appears on my station ? laptop is always connected (wifi) to my actual router.

Thanks for any suggestion. 

Network.jpg

18 answers to this question

Are you sharing your internet with anyone in the household?

If so, check with them and see if they are using that router...

If not, contact your ISP and have them block it from your network. This is recommend because ISP can investigate and shut the user account down for illegally using your internet.

Of course you can block it in the admin panel if you are not in mood to call ISP. But someone could get internet back other way if you use this method.

WPS?  Windows Protected Setup?  No that wouldn't have anything to do with that..  Your seeing UPnP devices via SSDP would be more like it.  So your seeing that on your laptop that is only on your wifi or your seeing it on a desktop connected to a wire on your network?

those entries can sometimes be cached.

do you live in an apt building or an area w/ a lot of people nearby?

Yes.

Are you sharing your internet with anyone in the household?

No

Only the laptop is connected (always) to my wifi (& dir600 router) and that dir615 appears & dissapears by it's own.. 

Yeah asbudman says you are seeing the device because of your wifi connection.

I can see 4 routers here but those are all neighbor's devices.

Yeah @Budman I knew it wasn't WPS but didn't bother to look it up so that's why I put the or some other protocol there :)

You really shouldn't be seeing those if not on your network..  It could be cached entry maybe?  Can you find its IP?  I don't play with UPnP much since its really an obomination and just needs to be disabled all around ;)

But I could fire it back up on my machine and give you some stuff to try to identify it..  Since its same model as your actual router just dir-615, maybe something weird it its actual firmware.. Did you happen to recently update it?

See how IP and mac is not available --- this seems to point to maybe cached or a problem with its firmware.. Do you see IP and mac on your dir-600?

So I enabled UPnP on my pfsense box, and turned on the ssdp service on my workstation (its a noisy protocol I normally have it disabled) and there you go my router popped up and also my popcorn hour media player..  But see how I can see mac address and IP address of the device

upnpdevices.thumb.png.848f621611c9820002

Since your not seeing that points to some left over cached info from maybe when you were on a different network?  Do you ever join other networks?  Or maybe you had plugged in a dir-615 sometime in the past.. Or just something wrong with your current router.. 

If your really curious I would shutdown UPnP on your router, and that should go away.. Or stop your ssdp service and they should go away.  You can then re-enable and sniff and watch the packets..  And see where that info is coming from...

So for example -- here is my pfsense once I enable UPnP flooding the network with its notify -- hey I am a UPnP device if you want to control me here is the info.. Over and Over and Over again all the time -- very chatty!!

upnpannounce-ssdp.thumb.png.5d0cf9dc9c8e

So you could sniff and see if you see this device actually announcing itself or if its just coming from your same router, etc..

I would also turn on the discovery method column, see how mine shows discovered via SSDP..  Would be curious what that shows.

discoverymethod.thumb.png.0ca9504a94f4b7

My guess is that it's the same router with the wrong info being broadcast. Most likely a bug in their SSDP or UPnP implementation.

Check all of your device(s) Mac Addresse(s). That's the easiest way to find a ghost, I've found that sometimes Windows likes to misreport a device at times in that view.

When trying this.. only that router remains available even if I'm not connected to any wireless network :|

Capture.PNG

would also turn on the discovery method column, see how mine shows discovered via SSDP..  Would be curious what that shows.

I don't have such options on right click on that router.

Capture.PNG

that is your router..  Where you can turn off UPnP.. Yes it should go away when you turn that off..  But that doesn't mean you can not discover other devices, and that they might hang out for a bit even when you don't see them anymore..  Here is the thing if it was actually live you should see its IP address..

So here is the thing either those devices are being plugged into your network, or your joining other networks that you can see those..  

So this is being seen on your desktop or a laptop that you connect other wifi networks with?  Just seeing a wifi network would not allow you discover the router on that network.. But actually connected to it would.    What wifi network are in your area?  Are any of them listed as open with no security that you could connect too?

What devices have access to your network?  Could people be plugging in devices?  Could people be using anything that would bridge networks?  Its not like windows just makes ###### up on stuff it discovered via SSDP...  As I showed before this is actual traffic that window has to see to show those devices.

What is physically connected to your network?

So this is being seen on your desktop or a laptop that you connect other wifi networks with? 

What wifi network are in your area?  Are any of them listed as open with no security that you could connect too?

Laptop. Yes.. there are a lot wifi in this area.. and yes .. there's one with no security but haven't connected to. 

What devices have access to your network?  Could people be plugging in devices?  Could people be using anything that would bridge networks? 

2 computers (wired) , laptop , tv and my phone (wifi). It's home.. so only I can plug in devices. I don't understand your last question. 

:|

Could people be logged into your wifi and also on another wifi??  That could be a bridge..

Here is the thing.. For you to see those devices then you have to have seen the packets from it via a discovery..  See my wireshark sniff from above..  So if your seeing devices on your network..  Then either that network is/was connected to yours and your saw that traffic that way.. Or you connected to them..

or if your saying their are open networks, then maybe your laptop is connecting to those open networks and seeing their routers.. Tell it not to connect to open networks!!

Could people be logged into your wifi and also on another wifi??  That could be a bridge..

Yes. Another ? 

My router is set to connect only to my wifi.. but it's interesting that .. "custom" router appears even if I'm connected to my own wifi.. why it remains there? 

So your pc is only connecting to your wifi??  Your sure and its not connecting to open networks...  It NEVER connects to any other wifi network.

Here is the thing.. windows reports stuff it sees... It doesn't just make up ######... So if why don't you sniff on your network and look ad see where its being seen from.

notifyofdevice.thumb.png.65abd7c68fbb1b8

This is mostly coming from a multicast address... Your sure this is not being leaked from the public internet?  Your not doing anything on your router that allows multicast in from the public internet?  Do you do anything like iptv? 

Do these random routers go away?  Do they ever show an IP?  If you had a sniff you would have some idea where its coming from.. If I were you I would fire up wireshark, set its filter to only log this sort of traffic..  And see what you see.

How often do they show up, does something show up every day.. every couple of days... Are they always different?  Your last post showed a mac of the device.. is it saying a different type of device with the same mac?