Do you purchase brand name items or generic 'store brands'?

Do you purchase the brand name item or the generic 'store brand'?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Brand name items, ie Kraft,Oreo, Etc Store brands: Great Value, Etc.

• Brand Name
    • Generic 'Store Brand'

My wife swears up and down that she can tell the difference between a store brand grocery item and a national brand item, despite my repeated attempts to show her that most of the 'store brands' are manufactured by the national brand and labeled with a store brand. So when you go shopping do you buy the brand name item or the generic or store brand? I, myself, always shop on a budget so more often than not I get the store brand, and 99% can not tell the difference. Note: This can include electronic/computer equipment as well.

no.  MOST times, in my humble experience, store brand will have  better quality of ingredients (This can include electronic/computer equipment as well :P)

but in other cases, it literally makes no difference, since the stuff is identical.  You just have to know what products it applies too.

• 4 weeks later...

We've recently moved to own brands except in a few areas (like chocolate, condiments and crisps), because we really can't tell the difference and it saves a considerable amount of money.

I don't look at the brand. I always buy based on what the ingredients are. Sometimes store brands are better, sometimes they are not. (This only applies to food items obviously)

I can tell the difference between Cinnamon Toast Crunch and "Cinnamon Toasters" along with other things.

Blind taste test with that and a few other products, I could pick out the brand name over the generic items.

Typically, I shop at Aldi now as there is one nearby and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. Some things I can't get from there and I'll get from another place but yeah, most foods that have a recipe taste a little different but not enough to matter, and then your 'raw material' products (meats, bread, milk etc.) are not different at all. People say 'Oh this Lidl chicken tasted way better than the one I used to buy from M&S!' and yet, it'll more than likely be an identical product, packaged differently.

25 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Typically, I shop at Aldi now as there is one nearby and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. Some things I can't get from there and I'll get from another place but yeah, most foods that have a recipe taste a little different but not enough to matter, and then your 'raw material' products (meats, bread, milk etc.) are not different at all. People say 'Oh this Lidl chicken tasted way better than the one I used to buy from M&S!' and yet, it'll more than likely be an identical product, packaged differently.

Aldi FTW!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't really an either-or question. I buy generic/store brand for some things, but the name brands for other items. Depends on the quality of the generic in question, and whether it's close enough to the "real" thing for my taste.

I shop at Aldi mainly and their stuff is good.  I never really bought name brand anyway.  I have just started buying from "end of line" suppliers again - approved foods, clearance xl to name two.

Last order I got the following

4 piece(s)Walkers Deep Ridged FLAME GRILLED STEAK 5 Pack RRP £1.99 CLEARANCE XL 29p or 4 for £1                            £0.25        £1.00
1 piece(s)CASE PRICE 10 x KELLOGGS SPECIAL K Porridge APPLE & CINNAMON RRP £10 CLEARANCE XL £1                             £1.00        £1.00
3 piece(s)CASE PRICE 6 x Maharani Tikka Masala Curry Sauce 285g RRP £6 CLEARANCE XL £1                                     £1.00        £3.00
8 piece(s)Cattlemens KANSAS CITY CLASSIC BBQ SAUCE 510g RRP £1.49 CLEARANCE XL 29p or 4 for £1                             £0.25        £2.00
1 piece(s)Toffifee 12 Pieces 100g RRP £1.99 CLEARANCE XL 99p                                                               £0.99        £0.99
1 piece(s)PACK PRICE 3 x Schwarzkopf Proffessional 3D Mension Grooming Fluid 250ml RRP £17.99 CLEARANCE XL £1              £1.00        £1.00
1 piece(s)Stonewall Kitchen MESQUITE STEAK SAUCE 330ml RRP £2.89 CLEARANCE XL 99p                                          £0.99        £0.99
5 piece(s)O`Donnells Tipperary Crisps IRISH CIDER VINEGAR & SEA SALT 50g RRP 65p CLEARANCE XL 29p or 5 for £1              £0.20        £1.00
2 piece(s)CASE PRICE SPECIAL 22 x OLD EL PASO CREAMY POBLANO PEPPER 40g RRP £28.39 CLEARANCE XL 1p                         £0.01        £0.02
3 piece(s)Insette CORAL Body Fragrance 75ml RRP £1 CLEARANCE XL 39p each or 3 for 99p                                      £0.33        £0.99
4 piece(s)Walkers Sensation MEXICAN FIERY SWEET CHIPTOLE Flavour 150g RRP £1.49 CLEARANCE XL 29p or 4 for £1               £0.50        £2.00
1 piece(s)BOX PRICE 24 x Walkers Salt & Vinegar Crisps 32.5g RRP £12 CLEARANCE XL £1.50                                    £1.50        £1.50

Total amount            £20.74

So 53 bags of crisps, 60 porridge portions, 18 jars of Tikka Masala cook in sauce, 9 bottles BBQ sauce and some other stuff for under £21.  The Walkers S&V crisps were dated August last year and are perfectly fine, as are the rest although they are dated later than that.  The sauces are top notch also.  Not tried the El Paso sauce mix(dated Oct 2014) yet, but at 2p for 44 packs it isn't a big deal if they are crap.

When it comes to electronics and stuff, I buy whatever is in my price range.