Best free e commerce platform

Question

Hello my fellow neowins,

I am looking for advise on a free e commerce platform, I am currently using shopify.com, however thats 9 dollars a month and I want to avoid these cost for my clients.

Something similar to this platform would be perfect just not sure which one is being used; softwareempire.com

Wordpress is my preference however I am open to others.

Appreciate the time guys.

6 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Seetheworldsecond said:

Hello my fellow neowins,

I am looking for advise on a free e commerce platform, I am currently using shopify.com, however thats 9 dollars a month and I want to avoid these cost for my clients.

Something similar to this platform would be perfect just not sure which one is being used; softwareempire.com

Wordpress is my preference however I am open to others.

Appreciate the time guys.

softwareempire.com is using WooCommerce, which is a plugin for WordPress. Both free.

https://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce/

If you’re looking to offer your customers a unique experience on your site, you might want to look elsewhere for better value. WordPress plugins in general have also received some critique about poor documentation and customer service. These are a few points to consider before going for WooCommerce. 

You mentioned, that you prefer WordPress. As far as I know, WP eCommerce is a free plugin. Have you tried it?  Also, one of my friends said Ecwid is not bad, and it's also compatible with WP. I'm not an expert, though, but you could look it up anyway.

Magento Community Edition is free, however you will still have monthly / yearly running costs such as:

• Hosting
  • Integration with a merchant such as SagePay to process card payments
  • SSL certificate
  • Domain Name

It looks like Shopify is taking care of all the above for just $9, that's not bad at all to be honest as your basically getting a ready setup / secured eCommerce platform.

You will struggle to run an eCommerce site for less than that, even selling on Ebay you would pay more than $9 in fees.

Surly your client would make more than $9 a month to cover those running costs?

Speaking of eCommerce solutions... This topic interests me as well, because I've been thinking of setting up a cosmetics online shop. A small one, nothing extraordinary. Some days ago I started looking up the Internet, I learned some more about Magento and that it's suitable for my business concept. Thing is, I'm not sure what to do about the design.  I'd like to know what you guys think is the best way to deal with the design intricacies? Would you prefer free eCommerce themes? Do they miss on some really important functionality? Do you purchase stuff somewhere? A friend of mine who I spoke about earlier has mentioned to me the other day that he once had a ready template from www.templatemonster.com provider. I read lots of different opinions about them both good and bad. Idk, I'm confused. Do they offer better functionality for money?

I'm not so experienced in the field of online shopping (dealt mostly with marketing, seo and now studying some web design). but I'd very much like to know if I can buy an eCommerce theme and not be misled by the empty promises?

I'd really appreciate your help!