Windows 95 running natively in your browser is a sight to behold

That Windows 95 startup sound always gives me nostalgia, but how about taking it for a whirl without setting anything up whatsoever?

Andrea Faulds, a 19-year-old developer in Scotland, managed to get Windows 95 to function fully in the browser without any plugins.

It’s a truly incredible sight to behold: seeing the 20-year-old operating system fully functioning in pure JavaScript is amazing — you can play Freecell, mess around in DOS or just enjoy the nostalgia.

Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 10.24.24 AM

Read the rest: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/01/31/what-a-time-to-be-alive-2/

Wow, what a difference that was.  I remember when Windows 95 came out; I thought it was so far advanced.  But we've come a long way!

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm calling BS. It's just not possible to emulate an entire OS in Javascript. 

If you would've clicked on the link in the sentence that starts with 'Andrea Faulds', then you'd know what was being done!

not working. first it says downloading then all downloads complete. but nothing happens. tried this in vivaldi and chromium. 

Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

not working. first it says downloading then all downloads complete. but nothing happens. tried this in vivaldi and chromium. 

It worked for me, took about 5/10 minutes, after saying downloads complete to actually load though.

6 minutes ago, KibosJ said:

It worked for me, took about 5/10 minutes, after saying downloads complete to actually load though.

and just as we speak the fan of my cpu is spinning up. should be a sign ;)

ok it came till the popup-box "new clock settings" ...

this seems to be slow. will it run fluently when loading is finished?

Edited by Simon Lang 9047

9 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

I get same behavior in IE 11, Firefox newest, and Chrome newest.  I'll try waiting as others have mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...