Windows shutdown: actually hybrid hibernation

I have a question about the current Windows shutdown which is actually the equivalent to Windows 8.1 Hybrid Hibernation.

Q: When my system goes into this hibernation, the system is technically or actually left on correct?

Q: If so, does this affect the life span of the computer system ?

Q: If so, you guys with SSD's or guys like me with HDD's and such, does this take away from the hours available to SSD's and HDD's?

I guess the only TRUE method of shutting down this laptop would be to, use the shutdown and then disconnect my power cable which is always connected and remove my battery for 10 seconds to clear memory. that's just a guess. I'm not into bleeding edge speed on startup. thought I like to keep my system as clean as possible.

-Chrisj1968

Q: When my system goes into this hibernation, the system is technically or actually left on correct?  Hibernation does not use power.  Hybrid Sleep and Sleep uses a small amount of power.

Q: If so, does this affect the life span of the computer system ?  No

Q: If so, you guys with SSD's or guys like me with HDD's and such, does this take away from the hours available to SSD's and HDD's?  No.  Your HDD and/or SSD are not powered on during any of the sleep states...therefore doesn't accumulate "power on" hours.  It does affect the power cycles (but that happens anytime you push the power button)

I guess the only TRUE method of shutting down this laptop would be to, use the shutdown and then disconnect my power cable which is always connected and remove my battery for 10 seconds to clear memory. that's just a guess. I'm not into bleeding edge speed on startup. thought I like to keep my system as clean as possible.  

---What?  No...just turn off the notebook...or put it a sleep state of your preference.  You do not need to remove the battery.  

Incorrect. When the system goes into hibernation the following happens.

It dumps the content of system memory into a file called hibernation.sys then the system POWERS OFF. You can even unplug the system  if you want.,

When you turn the system back on it will appear to do a normal startup but it will do it faster than normal because it will restore whats in the hibernation.sys back into system ram.

So when you hibernate (a.k.a Windows 8 / 10 shut down) your system it should be completely off.

Please reference the thread

Which was just recently locked

"It doesn't seem like there's been anything new to add to this for years?"

... oh hey chrisj1698 didn't notice it was you until just now :D .. Hibernation does nothing to hurt your drives. Though I would say that if you have an ssd, might as well open a command prompt and do a powercfg -h off and turn hibernation off. Because the hibernation hybread shutdown was only for ###### spinning hard drives, to give them an appearance of a faster boot-up.

57 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I have a question about the current Windows shutdown which is actually the equivalent to Windows 8.1 Hybrid Hibernation.

Q: When my system goes into this hibernation, the system is technically or actually left on correct?

Q: If so, does this affect the life span of the computer system ?

Q: If so, you guys with SSD's or guys like me with HDD's and such, does this take away from the hours available to SSD's and HDD's?

-Chrisj1968

If you are worried, turn the feature off. 

• Like 2

This feature came about due to bad (if not horribly broken) ACPI implementations (both portable and non-portable PCs - including CSM chipsets from every chipset ODM under the moon - not merely the sun).  Intel's own CSM-targeted G41 (and predecessor G31) both had issues with sleep implementation - Windows 8's hybrid-hibernation was the least-painful of the various software workarounds.