Will canceling the USPS mail forwarding option allow mail to be sent to my old address?

I moved out of my parents house six months ago and I informed the post office to forward my mail to my new address. Since then, it's been a disaster. Some junk mail is being forwarded to my new address while important mail is being sent back to the sender as undeliverable. Since this mail forwarding option is causing me to not receive important mail, I figured it's best to just cancel this forwarding option and just pick up any mail from my parents house when mail gets sent over there. 

I see there is an option online to cancel the mail forwarding. If I cancel, will the post office continue to allow mail to be sent to my old address or will this just create a bigger mess and just return ALL mail to the sender? I'm afraid the latter might happen which is why I'm reluctant to cancel.

Why don't you just call them and a) Get the forwarding thing sorted out, and b) Ask them if cancelling will do as you ask.

People here can only really guess at the answers.

Never had an issue with not getting my mail forwarded to me.  Sounds like the postal workers are not doing their jobs.

Make sure you give everyone your new address, updated sites, billing.....and then this will not be that big of an issue.  6 months time should be plenty to update your address for the places you need to receive mail.

• Like 2

Never understood why people ask questions like this on a forum when they can go right to the source and get the correct answer in a matter of minutes.

"If I make a late payment on my capitol one card, can I defer the late payment charge to the end of the next billing cycle" :o

Anyway, the forums are good for general banter, tech support, programming, etc. But not specifics to a companies policy or their way of doing things. Ask them directly.

• Like 2

It ends after 1 year on it's own, just for reference.

Companies are notified of address changes. Some actually adjust the mailing address without you contacting them.

But yeah, the issue is primarily the postal workers. I would just cancel the forward and go get it from your parents house if it's not a hassle.

I had the same issue a few times years ago where like 95% was forwarded correctly but a few things got returned to sender. They literally sent it again as soon as they got it back and it came with no issues. So i'm not sure what triggers it.

I would have honestly thought the best option would be to call up whoever is sending those "important" letters to inform them on the change of address? These postal redirection things are only supposed to be temporary whilst you move house anyway.

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

I would have honestly thought the best option would be to call up whoever is sending those "important" letters to inform them on the change of address? These postal redirection things are only supposed to be temporary whilst you move house anyway.

That's what I did and they are still carelessly sending to the old address. I updated my mailing address on my VISA card MONTHS ago, yet when they sent me my new card, the idiots still sent to the old address. The card got returned and thus, I never got a new card. I called to rectify the issue and they are supposedly sending me a new card. The forwarding system was supposed to ensure that I get my mail, yet it is doing the opposite.

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Never understood why people ask questions like this on a forum when they can go right to the source and get the correct answer in a matter of minutes.

"If I make a late payment on my capitol one card, can I defer the late payment charge to the end of the next billing cycle" :o

Anyway, the forums are good for general banter, tech support, programming, etc. But not specifics to a companies policy or their way of doing things. Ask them directly.

I did do that and it took more than a matter of minutes. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them (after being put on hold and being transferred several times) and then also asked my mailman. Both said it will cancel completely and mail can be sent to the old address. HOWEVER, the post office is not very reliable in what they tell you. Just like this mail forwarding system, they claim they will FORWARD mail, but they don't. So, I just want to ask people here and see if anyone has ever cancelled a mail forwarding request before and had success with it. There's a difference between asking someone who knows the answers and asking someone who actually went through the experience before. By posting here, I was hoping to get an answer from the latter.

Greetings~

With regard to mail forwarding (via postal service specifically)  Granted,  you are saying this has been going on for 6 months.

CERTAIN things CANNOT  .. and WILL not be forwarded to your new address...it all depends on WHAT the companies (the sender) policy is .. for instance TAX FORMS  ( W-2's)  and some bills WILL NOT  be forwarded to your new address.. with those you MUST  inform your previous employers( or the sender directly) of your new address to receive them correctly.

That being said .. MOST  postal mail  will/can be 'forwarded' to your new address.(unless as has been mentioned the carriers are being 'lazy')  Generally there is (depending on whee you live)  there is a Yellow  sticker  on the item to denote that there is a change of address and to deliver to the new address. 

With regard to your issue with the Visa card  much of that also DEPENDS  on WHEN you gave them(Visa) the change of address (have had this happen myself)   if it's at the same time that a bill (or in this case you CARD) was being sent out  ( usually about a day or 2)  it will SOMETIMES be sent to the old address .

I also had a card sent to an old address..  as luck had it .. I happened to be good friends at the time with the person who moved in to my old address ( apartment)  and they informed me that I had mail sent there.  I got the mail and immediately called the company and double checked the address they had on file .. No more issues. 

With regard to cancelling the mail forwarding .. While I have not done it ... but have known some who have .. it can end up more of an issue than anything else.. especially if something important is already 'in transit'   and you don't happen to be friends/family with the person at our old address.

Just my opinion and experience.

~LoneWolf