How long do you think iPhones/iOS will be around ?

4 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

Most products/ideas evolve. The "phone" app on phones are rapidly getting to be least used "app" on a "phone".

What do you mean by: "The "phone" app on phones are rapidly getting to be least used "app" on a "phone"." please ?

8 minutes ago, max22 said:

What do you mean by: "The "phone" app on phones are rapidly getting to be least used "app" on a "phone"." please ?

We call them phones but, for most people, they are simply communication devices. These communication devices just happen to have a phone built in as well. By far, if you measure the amount of time used per app, the phone app is typically used the least.

Just now, Rippleman said:

We call them phones but, for most people, they are simply communication devices. These communication devices just happen to have a phone built in as well. By far, if you measure the amount of time used per app, the phone app is typically used the least.

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, max22 said:

I know no one knows this for sure but what is your best guess ? 5 years? 10 years ? Longer ?

Good question.

The reason other OSes and smartphones are not around anymore is because something else came along.  Symbian, WebOS, and to some degree Blackberry and Windows Mobile fell out of favor because people started buying Android phones and iPhones instead.

And for the time being... people are buying a lot of Android phones and iOS phones... to the tune of 1.4 billion and 231 million a year respectively.  Android and iOS are established OSes for smartphones... with plenty of app and accessory support.

It's kinda hard to imagine iOS and the iPhone "not being around"

Apple's smartphone sales are slowing... but they still sell an incredible amount of smartphones.   They're currently the #2 smartphone vendor by volume... and the #1 smartphone vendor by profit (and sometimes Apple is the most profitable company of ALL companies in the world)

Companies fail and/or products get cancelled when they run out of money or they don't have any prospects of making money.  However... those are problems Apple will probably never face in our lifetimes.

Even if Apple sold "only" 150-200 million iPhones a year... that's still waaaay more than enough to keep the project going.  Other OSes and products have failed with far less.

Look at the Mac.  It's been around for over 30 years while other OSes fell out of favor during that time.  iOS could follow a similar path.

Sorry there's no definitive answer to your question... but I hope I've given you something to think about.

EDIT:  Getting back to my first point... I'm not sure something else will come along.  Android and iOS are very strong.  People have been talking about a "3rd smartphone OS" for years... yet no threat has emerged.  The smartphone market might end up being like the desktop computer market... one big platform (Windows) for general users... and one much smaller niche yet active platform (Mac) for other users.  Linux exists... but it had never posed a threat to Windows and the Mac.  The smartphone market might be a two-horse race just like the desktop market.

Edited by Michael Scrip

15 minutes ago, Michael Scrip said:

Apple's smartphone sales are slowing...

Well, the rate of growth is decelerating. Their sales have yet to decrease ...although that is possibly about to happen.

20 minutes ago, Active. said:

Well, the rate of growth is decelerating. Their sales have yet to decrease ...although that is possibly about to happen.

Yep that's what I meant. :)

Even if Apple sells fewer phones... it would still be a ridiculous amount of (very profitable) phones.

I'm sure people are gonna lose their minds next quarter if their sales are down... but Apple will still be doing better, overall, than almost all other smartphone vendors.

• 2 months later...
On February 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Tuskd said:

Until OS X and iOS converges ;)

They already share the same kernel and in some way the platform as well. I think what I am seeing is more iOS tools going to OS X. Apple is making iOS more stronger with every new release.

a

On 2/11/2016 at 8:26 PM, max22 said:

I know no one knows this for sure but what is your best guess ? 5 years? 10 years ? Longer ?

They are here for 2 - 3 years max. Then, they'll have nothing "innovative" left to include in their *New iPhone.  You know,

No SD Card,

No removable Battery,

No Custom OS possible,

No Quick charge,

No water-resistant,

No wireless charge,

No Power Saving Mode,

No individual user profiles,

No Download accelerator,

No Split-screen multitasking,

No heart rate monitoring

YES - Too much expensive

YES - Looks same every year

YES - its an iPhone :p

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The better question is how long will Windows Phone/Windows Mobile (or whatever rebrand MS chooses for the day) last?